Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

This is why all the Android users are frustrated

This is why all the Android users are frustrated

My intention is not for this thread to turn into a flamewar, but instead to put into words this community's frustration with the Android version of Spotify.

A lot of the frustration stems from the fact that:
A. Premium is required for Android, so every one of us has to pay.
B. Android is the most widely used phone OS in the world and the platform is being aggressively ignored by Spotify. Facebook ignored mobile apps for years and it's showing in their stock's value.

Known issues that actually break the program for users are not getting fixed swiftly, and what's even worse is there's no communication from Spotify regarding this.

Other known issues and requested features have not been added either. This stems from either or both of these facts:
A. Your app development team is clearly undersized or these things wouldn't take so long. I know free apps whose developers fix bugs and add features in a fraction of the time.
B. You're treating the Android app as you would treat an iOS app. You can fix one issue and release a new version. You can patch one bug and release a new version. This is Android, it doesn't cost you anything to just release updates every week.

To be honest, I'm baffled as to what the point is of a "Preview" app? Just release that as the next update (or you can release both and call the old one "Spotify Old Version"). Then send out an update a few times a week as you add new features or squash new bugs. "Oh look, we added landscape mode. Let's compile it and release it." Not a big deal. Instead we wait months between updates.

I apologize if this comes off as a rant, I really don't mean for it to. I'm trying to express how the logic works in our brains and why we're getting frustrated... It boils down to this:
If they're not fixing bugs or adding features on a regular basis, they must be ignoring Android as a platform. And if they avoid commenting on, or refuse to acknowledge, these bugs and when we can expect a fix, they must be ignoring Android users as a whole. This makes me feel unvalued.

44 Replies

Yup. Android app is pretty infuriating.

I haven't had any problems with this Android Spotify App until now. My local pc files are not synchronizing with my phone, which is making me irritated.   

The fact we have to pay to listen to music via mobile is purely in their jurisdiction. I don't mind the fact we have to pay to listen to music on our phone. As for the "Preview app", it is similar to a beta test for the next version that's to be released. Tons of online programs have that feature... Thier attempting to give a glimpse for what is to come, and it is not yet truely complete by their likes. Older versions will become obsolete to the program making them incompatible with existing or future implements.

Theres no such thing as a free meal. Be happy and have patience!  Smiley Very Happy

@L337GoD777 wrote:

I haven't had any problems with this Android Spotify App until now. My local pc files are not synchronizing with my phone, which is making me irritated.   

The fact we have to pay to listen to music via mobile is purely in their jurisdiction. I don't mind the fact we have to pay to listen to music on our phone. As for the "Preview app", it is similar to a beta test for the next version that's to be released. Tons of online programs have that feature... Thier attempting to give a glimpse for what is to come, and it is not yet truely complete by their likes. Older versions will become obsolete to the program making them incompatible with existing or future implements.

Theres no such thing as a free meal. Be happy and have patience!  Smiley Very Happy

I think you missed my point. The point is: because we have to pay for mobile, we expect a higher quality product. And because nowadays ALL apps are basically beta (nothing is ever bug-free and it's always a work-in-progress), going MONTHS between updates doesn't make any sense and it's frustrating. And the fact that we've known about the wifi-only offline bug since February and it STILL hasn't been fixed is ridiculous for an app that we have to pay to use.

Essentially, everything I wrote in my first post is about how we're getting the type of service and support (or worse) that you'd expect from a free app, not a $10 per month app.

Ah yes, I think I did miss your point. In that sense you may be correct. Well like I stated that this is the first time I'm having to seek assistance using their software. I'm having to search for a solution that I have yet to find. We deserve better service, as a paying customer but then again this is relatively new software. They should keep in mind what maybe helping them thrive and prolong their stay. Pandora is Free via mobile and i've never had a problem with them.

Yeah, and they update their iOS apps all the time. It's frustrating.

iOS must bring in more money... They have much tighter restrictions for music and such. Droid seems to be a little more laid back. That doesn't mean to disregard the fact we need updates and hot fixes. 

I totally agree.

I've always seen Spotify as this down-to-earth cool company that just really enjoys making a great product, but with their success (which I _am_ glad for) it seems like they've taken heaps of steps away from their users. And Spotify for Android is just a laugh really. It works, yes, but it has been the same for ages. It's like the OP says; why don't you release updates more often and why don't you put more people on the development team?

I absolutely love Spotify, but the Android app (even the preview one, though a lot better) is just not up to date. And where the hell is the version designed for a tablet? Stop favoring Apple users and give us some attention too! At least regular updates about it.

No official Update for more than half a year is more than frustrating. We pay for a service that is not running how it should and they don t respond to our problems at all. Sorry, but i would call this fraud. Plain and simple. My patience is gone ...

Exactly this is what gets to me. I dont understand how they can ignore this? They hae millions of dollars, hire some technitians and some programmers to update the app. Do you even test it your selves? The Spotify app should be updated once a week with all those proble ms it has. 

But only if they maintain past versions of the App. The 6/12 upgrade has ruined my phone service (won't play more than 1-2 songs without stopping). You can't keep adding dev without maintaining the option to use the older (and still working system). If the "upgrade" (downgrade?) doesn't work for many - please maintain the option of retaining the older version that has no bugs.

Old version had tons of bugs. Couldn't listen to music and add a song to a playlist... crashed every time. Forgot the rest of them because I've been on the beta so long...

When you say it keeps stopping, do you mean that the music just stops or that the app goes offline?

I had the 'stopping' problem on my Galaxy S too.

It was particularly bad about a week ago. Every two or three minutes (bearing in mind that is more than once each track) the music would just stop and I would have to press play again.

really bloody frustrating when all you want to do is listen to some choons.

I've noticed odd behavior with the app sometimes comes from the cord running to the phone. The random pops it makes when it moves around gives it signals (like the play/pause/next track button on headphones with a mic). Next time it does a random stop, try unplugging and replugging it back in.

If that fixes it, it's not a bug with the app...

Thats true but I have eliminated the cord possibility as it also happens if I am using the phone speaker.

Well now they've just kicked us in the face again. Now they've add a new mobile streaming radio app that is completely free, Spotify Radio, and what a shocker only available on IOS mobile platforms. From what info I have found online so far it says that Spotify has so far made no plans on releasing an Android version anytime in the near future. WHY? Why don't we get the same service. They recently already lost my premium payments due to the constant crashing on my mobile. The new update so far works ok, but I can't speak for the premium since, of course, the update only finaly came out after I cancelled premium account. I am looking for a better alternative if they don't start offering us the same options, and level of service as IOS.... Or at least try.

@robbree wrote:

Well now they've just kicked us in the face again. Now they've add a new mobile streaming radio app that is completely free, Spotify Radio, and what a shocker only available on IOS mobile platforms. From what info I have found online so far it says that Spotify has so far made no plans on releasing an Android version anytime in the near future.

We're looking into bringing Radio to other mobile platforms in the following weeks. 

Airhorn Enthusiast

You do realise that "in the following weeks" implies within a month or so, otherwise you would have said "in the coming months"?

I hope you can keep to that schedule or there's going to be a lot of frustrated Android users who remember the 7 month wait they had to endure before for the last Android update.

The schedule of looking into bringing it to other platforms?
Airhorn Enthusiast

Ok, so right now you haven't decided if Radio will be implemented on mobile platforms other than iOS and you will decide that in the coming weeks? Is that really what you mean?

Suggested posts