Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Username on Spotify

Solved!

Username on Spotify

So I was required to create a Spotify account using Facebook, which is irritiating but manageable.  How do I change my Spotify username?  Right now it seems I must log int to Spotify as my Facebook name (not comfortable with that) and elsewhere it lists my username as a series of numbers. I am not a number! (as quoted by "The Prisoner").  Please let me know how to take care of this. 

Thanks for your help.  In advance.  As they say in the corporate world.

Elizabeth

165 Replies

it seems that win 8 doesn't open all ports when you allow spotify. there is also no way to open ports in the win 8 firewall, you can just choose the app.

so what can we do? Smiley Frustrated

I do not think that the FW is the problem, because switching it off doesn't show any effect... 😕

same Problem here.

- no friend names, only numbers

- no friend profile pictures, only symbols

- Windows 7 32 bit (up-to-date)

- connected via Apple's AirportExpress

- no proxy, no firewall, home network

- using Avira Free Antivirus (up-to-date)

- using Adblock Plus with firefox to browse the web

- i'm from germany

It works when I run it in compatibility mode for WinXP SP3 with admin rights.
My facebook account is pretty old. I created it in 2004 or 2005 and since then I changed my login e-mail address.
The first PC I installed spotify on is the one listed above. The second one I installed it on is configured as follows and it workes without any problems:

- Windows XP Prof. SP3 32 bit (up-to-date)

- connected via Apple's AirportExpress

- no proxy, no firewall, home network

- using Avira Free Antivirus (up-to-date)

- using Adblock Plus with firefox to browse the web

The Windows XP PC workes well - no problems.
As soon as there is a fix I want to upgrade my free version to the premium version, but not before..
Thanks for your help everyone.

From their feedback, it seems that if you're experiencing this at work, it may be worthwhile talking to your IT department about the ports they use. Initally, you could ask if the following ports are clear.

78.31.8.0/21
193.182.8.0/21

These are large ports that allow a significant stream through. If your organisation is unwilling to allow use of these ports, the following ports will provide a more restricted flow:

78.31.8.0/24
78.31.12.0/24
193.182.8.0/24

I'm hoping that you meant that these are IP ranges, and not ports, as asking that a music app has access to FTP and Mail ports is a little rediculous, imo.

I am also (still) having this problem:

- Windows 7 [x64] on VMWare

- Behind a HTTPS proxy, facebook is NOT blocked

- Unrestricted Port 80 access

I have tried relogging, rebooting, and the compatibility mode fixes with no improvement.

- All users are identified by a number

- All but two users have no profile picture

- Viewing a playlist does not update the number to a name

It seems like Spotify sucessfully connected briefly (enough to grab two profile pics) but hasn't since.

Similar issues here.

I am behind a proxy, but have full web access via the proxy.

No user details are translated/pulled down from facebook.

All I see is Spotify *usernames* (which is evident because my friends in other countries that were early adopters have their acutal Spotify usernames dispayed, rather than us newbies who just get a number and have to rely on facebook!)

I reached out to support, but they didn't fix any of my issues.

Wonder if this has been escalated to the developers?

I'm sure there has to be someone who can take an indepth look into this issue?

Well, the support here is kind of disappointing...

For 10€ per month... it is disappointing!

Same problem for me on Mac OS X Lion.

All of my facebook friends that have spotify accounts appear with number and without profile picture in the friends view and in the window that shows the music the friends play.

But if I add friends to favourites, they appear with real name and profile picture. So it cannot be a problem with not getting the data from facebook, the app just does not display the information.

On iPad, it works - but to see name and profile picture of new friends, I have to restart the app.

Hi, just adding that I am having the issue with friends names as well, though mine was showing a few (about 5) with names, and the rest (about 7-10) as numbers. Restarted multiple times, and just downloaded it today (so it is the newest version), and no avail. This is using my laptop which is Windows 7, connected via wifi to the router, no firewalls. My girlfriends computer works fine with it (Win XP, wired connection), and my phone works fine (via wifi and 4G).

I did find a temporary solution, oddly launching it in Compatibility mode with Win XP, SP3, Administrator, it works fine now. These are all Facebook friends, so I find it odd it showed some people, but not others, until I launched it in Compat mode with Admin.

Yes - I just reinstalled. all i get is numbers for usernames. I AM behind a firewall, but facebook is not blocked. Ive also setup my proxy in your settings.

This is VERY frustrating as your facebook sharing is the ONLY reason i switched from Rdio. Please fix. I see this thread going back quite a while and it's not giving me a lot of faith in your development team.

Yup, the support for this issue seems to be canceled.

it's pretty unbelieveable, actually. I find the Rdio support team to be far more responsive. 

I will switch back if this is not resolved ASAP... and I dont want to hear that I need to call my IT team to open new ports, etc, etc...

I work in a very large organziation where the IT team is dealing with far more pressing issues than my music service. That's why I'm paying 10 bucks a month to Spotify. I don't have an issue with any other apps that integrate with Facebook. This is ridiculous.

Fix it. Find a new way of doing things. This makes your software look messy.

This cannot be a problem with facebook connection or ports... All friends that I tag as favorites, appear in the right column... WITH correct name and picture... Just in the main friends view, everything is still messed up.

No response from support?

I am still not a paying user - should I try other services like rdio or simfy?

We haven't forgotten about this issue don't worry. We've been told that this is mostly due to connections not allowing the Facebook part.

However, if you're certain this is something else drop us a line through our contact form and we'll handle this by email.

In the meantime, we'll continue to look into this matter.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

What is the progress on this? It has been an issue for MONTHS!

When will you have a fix?

@Chi_Charles wrote:

What is the progress on this? It has been an issue for MONTHS!

When will you have a fix?

As above, if you get in touch through our contact form we'll do what we can to help you out. There's a number of things that could be going on here.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

I have the same friends names = numbers problem. I've tried the following:

uninstall reinstall 

uninstall delete app from facebook profile, reinstall 

log out and uncheck remember me, logged back in a few times since

upgrade to premium

oddly i don't have this issue at home, only at work. Facebook is not blocked at my workplace and other people using spotify at my work don't have this issue. 

Any more ideas would be much appreciated 

baconceltics (one hell of a username, there) - Sounds like it could be another connection issue - Do you have a firewall set up on your computer? It could be that that's causing the usernames appearing. Failing that, do any of your computers run through a Proxy server at work?
Airhorn Enthusiast

I am having the same issues on Linux. With both the Windows client in Wine and the Linux client. I'm using an unsupported version of Linux, but have this same issue. It's not an issue for me on Windows or OS X 10.7. It's not a connection issue. No firewalls or antivirus. No proxies either.

same here

Suggested posts