Community Manager
Community Manager
Per

[Android] App using a lot of mobile data

[ Edited ]

Thread: 116042

Description:

The Spotify app on Android uses mobile data when it's not supposed to.

Additional information:

1. The Spotify mobile app should not use P2P
  2. The setting to use 2G/3G is not for syncing, only streaming. I.e. if you have already synced a playlist, none of the tracks in that playlist should be using any more data
  3. There seems a possibility that part, if not all, of this "too much data usage" issue could be related to listening to tracks which were synced in higher than normal quality.

When replying please also include this information:

Using too much data over 3G?

Yes/No

Using too much data over WiFi?

Yes/No

Have you done troubleshooting as described here?

(Not necessary, per se, but good for us to know nonetheless)

My username

To find this, click on your name at the top right of the site (next to where it says "Log out") then click Overview and copy/paste the number.

How much data is being used by the Spotify app?

Please use any of the numerous tools and options available to give us an indication of how much data is being used AND over what period(eg. x MB/hour or y MB over the last 3 days)

There's an example in the original post by licenced.

How much free space does your device have on Internal and External Storage?

You can find this data in Android Settings > Storage.

--

Updates

2013-02-21: Our engineers are looking to find out who is still being affected by this. If you could fill out this form it would really help!

2013-10-28: Hi everyone, we're still here. We want to see how much data usage is too much, so we can further investigate. If you want to, please have a read here.

2014-01-22: We have received word this issue should be fixed in android v0.7.5.698. If you could all upgrade to the most recent release via Google Play and let us know if this is resolved it would be much appreciated. If you are using 0.7.5.696 can you please update?

2014-01-24: I posted an update here. It looks like this issue isn't entirely resolved, so we're continuing the investigation.

When posting in this forum please make sure you have read these guidelines.

Join me on twitter.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Get more storage space!
Music Lover
Master_Ipse

Re: [Android] App using a lot of mobile data

Yes

Hard to tell - synced about 60 Songs in extreme Quality: 92 MB forground; 642 MB background

(and might I add: syncing is unbarebly slow on all the different Android devices I use!)

Have you done troubleshooting as described here?

no

My username

Listening for 4h only to downloaded songs: 6,79 MB forground; 120 MB background

(In the settings streaming is only disabled for mobile networks)

Festival Fanatic
Millais

Yes

No

No,

My username

millais

Over a week, 7mb foreground, 480mb background, with 2G/3G switched off. Luckily I noticed before it was too late. I know people who have had to pay extra in their mobile contract because of going over their data limit entirely due to this bug.

Music Fan
rccola85

Yes

No

Yes, did not help.

My username

As you can see in the screenshot here Spotify Android Data Usage over a 3 day time period the Spotify app used 813 MB of background data. During that time period, I only used the app for a period of 45 minutes on January 21, listening to the Billboard Top 100 playlist. The playlist was not previously synced, but the settings are to stream in "High Quality" (160kbps if I'm not mistaken). Ever since restricting the background data, the app no longer uses background data but it also is pretty much unusable unless I'm connected to wifi. For this reason, I am actually considering canceling my subscription. If I can't use it on 3G without absolutely destroying my data allowance, I have no use for the app and therefore the $10 premium I'm currently paying for mobile use.

My device is a Nexus 4, using Spotify app version 0.5.5.13. My Nexus 4 is not rooted and is running Android OS version 4.2.1.

Music Fan
sandlines

using too much data over 3G?

YES!

don't care - no limit. Use all you like there!

No

My username

sandlines

89.3 MB over mobile data in one week. Significantly more than half my total data usage. This is with the 2G/3G setting set to off, playing downloaded playlists in higher than normal quality.

If this remains unresolved this will significantly increase the monthly cost of my subscription via data charges, making it not viable.

Roadie
VlarpNL

Strange thing. I used to have high data usage by Spotify on Android, but for the last couple of days it is limited to around 10 - 15 MB per day which I find acceptable. This while I'm listening to offline playlists for about 3,5 hours a day. The only difference I have made is that both the Quality options set to High Quality (so for Streaming and Downloading they are the same). 

Previously I had Streaming set to Normal quality and Downloading to High quality.

I still have Download over 3G switched off. Spotify is not running in Offline mode, and I also allow Background data usage (Settings > Data usage > Spotify > "Limit background data usage" option is not ticked).

Can anyone try to set the quality options for downloading and streaming to the same value and then check the data usage while listening to offline playlist? Maybe this has something to do with the problem.

Bedroom Songwriter
onothimagen

I noticed my 3G data usage going up and up when I was listening to music supposed to be downloaded, and with 'download over wifi only' ticked (as it has always been on Spotify). I rarely stream over 3G so I know exactly how often I'm accessing a few MB of music, and it's not enough to account for my counter hitting 100MB in a few days.

I discovered this in the context of investigating the long-running [Android] New music won't stay downloaded bug <http://community.spotify.com/t5/Bugs/Android-New-music-won-t-stay-downloaded/m-p/267778#M561>, that is rendering Spotify Premium useless for many of us. 

My money's on these bugs being related - but I'd settle for Spotify simply fixing them.

Music Fan
maharlikans

Yes

It uses too much data over 3g while I'm on WiFi, which makes no sense

Have you done troubleshooting as described here?
Yes

My username
Maharlikans (not currently near my computer so I can't see it)
Over a half hour period of streaming music solely on WiFi, I had used no foreground data (0.0B) from the network as expected, but I somehow used 10.57 mb of background data when I checked my data usage. This makes no sense since I never stream or listen to spotify when I'm not on a WiFi network. To see this I just used the default data analysis tool in the settings for Android.
Festival Fanatic
Rod85

Yes

Yes but on purpose.

Yes

My username

rodrigoba

Everytime I leave home and turn wifi off Spotify uses 6-10 MB e very 15-30 minutes. Eating up almost 90 MB until I stop it and switch to offline mode.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Per

Our engineers are looking to find out who is still being affected by this. If you could fill out this form it would really help!

Join me on twitter.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Get more storage space!
Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.