Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Won't start all of a sudden. Mac OX 10.7.4

Solved!

Spotify Won't start all of a sudden. Mac OX 10.7.4

When I try to open spotify it bounces once in my dock and does nothing. No crash report, it just refuses to open. I've tried reinstalling. 

133 Replies

According to the finder Spotify app IS open. However there is no interface. Any ideas?

10.8.2 and it's the only program giving me any problems.

Whenever Spotify 0.8.8 does launch, there is a big problem with the GUI. Displaying the "What's New" or the "Radio" tab takes forever or never happens. Plus this version often crashes on quit.

Yes, but the specific problem addressed in this thread is that it won't launch at all. It never gets past the login screen for me. I've tried 0.8.3 and 0.8.5 to no avail, all try to upgrade themselves upon launching and crash, or simply crash from the start. I have not been able to open the actual Spotify app in two weeks.

Hey, the exact same thing just happened to me and I came to these forums to find out if there was a solution.

It just stopped playing and I was wondering why it wasn't, and spotify was "opened" but, like you, there was no interface. Tried restarting, didn't work. Then uninstalled it and reinstalled it, and now it won't even reinstall it. It's just stuck at that little Installing cardboard box with the spotify logo in it. Again, it's just there, no interface whatsoever.

I'll be sticking around and hoping someone has a solution because this just plain sucks. Is there a new version that causes this or something?

This just happened to me about 5-10 minutes ago. Same thing, "opens" but doens't show any interface or anything. Restarting didn't help, so I uninstalled it and tried reinstalling it, now it does the same thing to the little install spotify logo, does show one of those downloading bars, but after that, nothing.

And before this I didn't even get to the login screen, and now it won't even install.

OSX 10.6.8 here by the way, so the 10.5 doesn't apply to me.

How is this even happening?

Oh hey, so I actually searched via google and came across this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9534013/how-to-repair-broken-spotify-on-mac

• Delete ~/Library/Caches/com.spotify.client
  • Delete ~/Library/Application Support/Spotify
  • Delete all copies of Spotify.app from your system (look in ~/Applications too, it gets auto-installed in there).

It worked for me!

It starts normally now.

@Meundie - Yeah, I've done all that. About 20 times. It's just another way of saying to do a complete uninstall, and it didn't work for me.

Oh. Well it solved it for me so then I don't know.

I am also having this same exact problem, I hope there is a solution...

Same issue here!  The ICON just bounces in the task bar and thats all.

Same problem, occured today. Program won't start. Re-install downloads but does not start program. 

Was the client updated and the actual update was corrupted?

Mine is working again. I deleted spotify and everything spotify related from my computer and emptied the trash and then reinstalled from the website.

Working now. Seems to have been a problem with the installer.

Wonder if the guys at Spotify are reading this. No sign of life from them, and we are many saddled with this problem.

I have the same problems as described above.

I tried installing Spotify through the installer provided on the website. The installer is not able to install Spotify on my machine (it hangs after "downloading" in "installing" state). Gents at Spotifiy, please fix this too! 

App doesn't launch at all on my MBP running 10.7.

Hi everyone - Thanks for your posts, I'm currently looking into this one for you all. As always, the more info we have the better we can help. 

First please check out this troubleshooting post. If you're still having trouble please post the template at the bottom of the post. 

Soon as I have an update I'll let you know right here. 

PROBLEM SOLVED THROUGH CONTINUOUS CYCLE OF INSTALLING/UNINSTALLING - STILL SHOULD LOOK FOR A BETTER FIX!

B. Troubleshooting
Please follow the below troubleshooting steps to see if you can resolve the issue on your own 

1. Make sure that Spotify is no longer running (Spotify » Quit Spotify)
  2. Manually delete these folders:
    ~/Library/Caches/com.spotify.Client
    ~/Library/Application Support/Spotify
  3. Delete the Spotify application in the Applications folder
  4. Restart your computer at this point.
  5. Reinstall Spotify (download)
  6. If the issue remains, go to C

First of all, neither of the files listed in Step 2 are present on my my MBP's hardrive, and just to make sure this is the directory in which I was looking for them - Macintosh HD/Library/Caches, and Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support

Description

Spotify does not launch on my MBP running OSX 10.7.5, fails to reinstall.

A more detailed description, using numbered steps

1. Went into Launchpad, clicked on Spotify app

2. Spotify app "bounced" on the bottom app bar for around 1-2 minutes, with zero results

3. Saw the app's status as "Not Responding" and Force Closed

4. Uninstalled the app, and reinstalled via the Installation Client

5. App exhibited same behavior

6. Tried Legacy Client, with same result

What I expected to happen

The app to open normally, like it did last night.

What actually happened

The app crashed at launch.

My Operating System

OS X 10.7.5

My Spotify version

Latest as of 2/17/13

My internet provider and country

Optimum Online, USA

My username

sjp2695

B. Troubleshooting
Please follow the below troubleshooting steps to see if you can resolve the issue on your own 

1. Make sure that Spotify is no longer running (Spotify » Quit Spotify)
  2. Manually delete these folders:
    ~/Library/Caches/com.spotify.Client
    ~/Library/Application Support/Spotify
  3. Delete the Spotify application in the Applications folder
  4. Restart your computer at this point.
  5. Reinstall Spotify (download)
  6. If the issue remains, go to C

Tried, however the re-install package won't open now either (other users seem to be having this problem too)

Description

Spotify does not launch on my MBP running OSX 10.7.5, fails to reinstall.

A more detailed description, using numbered steps

1. Went into Launchpad, clicked on Spotify app

2. Spotify app "bounced" on the bottom app bar for around 1-2 minutes, with zero results

3. Saw the app's status as "Not Responding" and Force Closed

4. Uninstalled the app, tried to re-install via installer from website.

5. App failed to re-install.

6. Restarted MBP, cleared PRAM.

7. Same result.

What I expected to happen

The app to open normally, like it did last night.

What actually happened

The app crashed at launch.

My Operating System

OS X 10.7.5

My Spotify version

Latest as of 2/18/13

My internet provider and country

Virgin Media, United Kingdom

My username

vsf11

Suggested posts