Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

2 different phones/1 account

Solved!

2 different phones/1 account

I am very new to spotify...  Just found it a few days ago and my "free" session of streaming just ended.  Is there a way to have the premium account on 2 different mobile devices?  (say my phone and my husband's phone)

Thanks in advance Woman Very Happy

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Yes, possible, but this is prohibited in ToS.

Also keep in mind, you can't share your account information for example with your wife. This is prohibited in ToS too.

There is a "legal" way: two accounts. This is maybe a big piece of money, but think it as 2CD pack or something.

View solution in original post

24 Replies

You can only listen to music from one device at a time. So it's possible, but you won't be listening to it while the other does.

oh okay...  so you can't listen to both even if they would both be in offline mode?

okay, anyone?

really? no one? 

Marked as solution

Yes, possible, but this is prohibited in ToS.

Also keep in mind, you can't share your account information for example with your wife. This is prohibited in ToS too.

There is a "legal" way: two accounts. This is maybe a big piece of money, but think it as 2CD pack or something.

thank you very much 🙂

It's possible as I say. But try if you like. All you need is a smartphone etc. max 3 devices and enable Offline mode. Then create playlist to you and wife. Max 3,333 tracks. You can listen Online in only one device. But keep in mind, those things are prohibited in ToS. If you want to try, remember that I am not responsible for this.

And if you want to support the music industry, you should buy to your wife another account. Because otherwise the artists are paid from your account when two people listening. And your account is for personal use only. My opinion is this: if you or your wife really care about music, then there is a need for own Premium account.

So if you like music you listen, support it.

One should be able to use it for 'family use'. Do you buy a CD each of the same album in your family?

Can you play the same CD in 2 different locations at the same time?  😉

When you buy a CD you buy those 10 or so music tracks. When you buy MP3s (or equivalent) from iTunes/Google/Amazon/... you buy those specific music tracks.

When you pay for Spotify you buy a personal time-limited license to listen to any of their 15 million or so music tracks through their software.

Not saying one is right and one is wrong, but make sure you know what you are paying for when you fork over money for something.

Family plans is a great idea - it really shouldn't be necessary to spend £/$/€10 per month per person in a household. Give some Kudos to this idea and hopefully speed up Spotify's plans in launching it: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Discount-Family-Subscriptions/idi-p/2275
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Yes, it's called you upload it and make a copy for your family member. Buying two accounts for a couple? Ridiculous, and there's a difference between "supporting the music industry" and supporting GREED. I can stream on Netflix along with several others in my family, ALL at the same time, which offers more than Spotify..and for LESS than the cost of a Spotify premium account. So, as far as I'm concerned...they can be more lenient for their already overpriced service, or they can lose many of us to the (vast) competition!

Do you know there is a thing called iTunes? Do you buy two CDs for two PCs/Macs? Or do you just import and copy? Don't lie. Look at Netflix as an good example for online streaming, you should be able to use it within family.

I do agree that buying a separate subscription for every member of a family is a bit steep, however I don't believe this is all Spotify's fault. They have to abide by the licensing agreements set out by the record companies, so it is probably them that force that term to be in the T&C's! 

Music licensing has always been a disaster, last time I checked it was actually illegal in the UK to rip a CD to your home computer, but obviously no one is ever going to prosecute you for that! 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Personally, id like to keep things seperate from my wife even as far as seperate living arrangements. Perhaps spotify thinks similarly? But maybe this is taking action against file sharing too far, I mean perhaps there are even T&C's about discussing music tracks with peers or friends? After all it could be argued that it effects the artists sales, especially if its a lame one. 

Eh yes you can with multiple speaker locations ... for example i play my music on my pc and it plays on pc ... upstairs ... and in garage ...

If you are lucky to share similar music taste with your wife, you wouldn't cross-rip your CDs? Who seriously would bother to buy second ones?

I buy multiple games but mainly online and cheap offline games on Steam. Most discounts are good enough to justify multiple copies by one person anyway.

I have to say I'd pay for two Spotify Premium if I'd get a 25% discount. I'd definitely take my sister and possibly my mother in if there would be additional discounts for more. (Note that none of us are subrscribers currently. 10€/person monthly fee is a bit too steep for entertainment.)

Well by law you're able to make one copy of that disk.

The idea of discounted family subscriptions is covered over on the Ideas Exchange here

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

yes because once I bought the cd I can copy the cd and give 1 to my wife. I am in the music industry and I do get paid for shows and I do record music and I make money in production.and I understand artist need to get royalties for music, but you still should be able to share with other members in your house. And you know good and well that when you were buying cds you did not buy multiple copies for Other members in your house.. get real...

Suggested posts