Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

3,333 Offline Song Limit

Solved!

3,333 Offline Song Limit

I have a few question regarding the 3,333 offline synced song limit.  I did not find definite answers (or multiple conflicting answers) when reviewing the boards, but I apologize if I just missed it or did not understand it.

1)  Example: One song on say two playlists that are both "offline":  Does this count as one or two songs toward the 3,333 count?

2)  Example: One playlist with say one song on it synced on three different mobile devices with offline sync:  Does this count as one or three songs toward the 3,333 count?  Is the 3,333 count TOTAL for all devices with offline sync or 3,333 PER device with offline sync?

I understand that any one playlist can only be offline synced to a total of three devices at one time.  Thanks for any clarification and input.

74 Replies

LMAO. DAT SOLUTION. Buy two devices...

It's not about taking XX hours or days or weeks to get through the playlist. Some of use enjoy listening to whole album, depending on our mood, and to be able to choose a specific album anywhere, anytime. I don't shuffle (shuffling is a crime), so I just don't know how long my playlists could last, and I don't care. I want to sync as much as my device can hold. 

Hear that spotify?

All streaming services at least legal ones, have some sort of track limit. I supposed spotify could update their policy to be more closely matched to others and say push for 20,000 but then users would say why not 50,000 or 100,000? The labels also require a certain level of limits to be comfortable with each and every service and ever services make some sort of gives to make the business work. Sorry you do not like it. I have an iPod that can have 50,000 I don't have that many on it but whats the point? At most I can get through 5,000-6,000 maybe every six months. I think some users are just being unrealistic with track counts. By the way users can always easily switch the tracks wanted for offline just put the playlists all back to online, log out of the apps, reboot phones and devices and pcs, then reset new playlists to offline, might have to clear some caches but that is not a big deal. 10,000Tx 5M=50,000M/60M=833H/24H=35Days my music tastes adjust faster than that. 20,000 which google play imposes as a limt 100,000M/1666H/70 days. 30 minute change over and a spotify user is up and running for the next 9,000 on three devices, which allot of users have a couple of smart phones with wifi connections, PCs this not much a big difference really? Just the numbers look impressive. I listened to 115,907 minutes of streaming music with not a single track offline, wow how is that possible? And did not miss a beat with any music enjoyment. I think some people have allowed themselves to be mislead about offline or downloaded streaming tracks. But this is just my views, just another nobody. LoL.

I do not think people will be asking for 50000 to 100000 if it is upped from 3,333 songs. That is a very low limit and it is not unreasonable to want change. I have probably 6,000 songs and i want to have them stored offline when i do not have good service and it will also help save battery. 

Bumping this thead because I just hit my 3,333 limit.

I didn't even know about the limit until Spotify told me, and even then I assumed it was because my device ran out of storage, but nope.

The way I use Spotify, is I have one "catch-all" playlist which I have set to downloaded, and then "sub-playlists" to separate by genre, mood, etc.  This way, I can just set the big playlist to be downloadable and it takes care of everything.

Needless to say I was very surprised and extremely disappointed to hear about this 3,333 song limit.  I understand that Spotify has to operate within the legal bounds of the music labels, etc.  But I, like other users, only really need one device (my phone) with the songs on them.  My other devices can stream via wifi because they are always connected to the internet.

So if the limit is 10,000 songs per user, why would Spotify assume every user has three devices, and that each one of them is "maxed out" at 3,333 songs??  It can't be that hard to program the system to recognize that a user has XXX tracks downloaded to Y devices.  Maybe instead of using your programmers to make a **bleep**ty UI (like the black one that came out last year, dont even get me started), you can put them to work on the dozens of features your users have been asking for for years.

If you ask me, this is inexcusable.  I've been a loyal Spotify Premium customer for three years.  But this defect alone is making me shop for other streaming music providers. 

Spotify is the cream of the non-crop. Unfortunately you're not gonna find
much better out there. MOG was heads and tails above all other streaming
services, but when Beats bought them they butchered it. And there is no
rhyme or reason why Spotify only lets you download that many songs. It's
not a law, it's not a universal feature among music apps. They just don't
seem to use their own services, thus not realizing how easily they could
fix a number of their blemishes. Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

@SynSyx While this still bothers me, I 've been wiping my phone too often to sync as much as 3000+ songs. So for now, I'm pretty happy with it.

Still, last time I hit the limit, I pestered Twitter accounts from Spotify competition. And I can tell you that rdio, for example, let you sync as many songs as you want.

Problem is, spotify still has the largest selection you can find...

I realised too that complaining on this forum is useless. They don't give a flying F about annoyed customers like we are. Their main concern is reaching rentability - mainly by pushing notifications and mainstream playlists the industry is paying Spotify to push.So you and your 10 bucks a month are just a pebble on the road.

Have you ever met a Spotify official here? I sure as hell did not.

Rdio has no limits

This 3,333 song limit sucks. Spotify is way behind the leading edge on this. If imusic were not so buggy, I would never use Spotify premium again.

I've had a Spotify subscription for over a year now. I never noticed there was an offline limit until recently. I have a big iTunes library and would use iTunes Match to store my music offline and use Spotify for the stuff I didn't have. I started transitioning my library over to Spotify to get rid of iTunes Match and I noticed some songs didn't completely sync. I didn't even realize there was a limit until I did some searching. This limit is very low for paid subscribers. You have to consider that the people who do pay will probably have a much library than that limit. And Apple Music has no limit, so I don't believe it's a legal issue. If things don't change, I may convert back to Apple Music if and when they fix their UI.

This is no longer an issue for me, I have moved to Tidal.

After 8 years of premium Spotify, and having thousands of playlists, and tens of thousands of songs in them, I learned that Tidal does not have this silly limit. I.E. you can have all 10.000 songs in one device.  I decided to leave spotify and have used the first 2,5 of Tidal's 3 free premium subscription months to transfer all my content. I now have well over 5000 "songs" in my phone, and using 46 out of my 64GB worth of sdcard space for it. Took me long, but now it feels good.

Why is there a limit, i really don't understand!

I am using offline mode alot and this limit severely hinders my music selection. I am paying for limited selections for my music favorite and getting limited? Annoying.

If I only have 2 devices, then can I save more than 3333 songs on one of those devices?

In Tidal you can, in Spotify you cannot.

Shuddup Kanye

Changed to 128gb. Now have well over 7000 tracks in my sd-card. AND: Tidal supports cloud backup of your offline content. Spotify doesn't. This being said, there's a number of stuff I miss from Spotify. Being notified of new stuff that I like, and playlist folders being two of them.

I am very disappointed. I amfrequently in hospital without wi-fi and unreliable cell access. More than enjoyment, in the face of limited ways to pass the time, I use music as a large part of pain control. It does not seem fair that I have one device and only get a third of the 10,000 limit. So, I am paying premium for  third of another's subscription. To further frustrate me, I have to manually count up the songs and keep switching things about. I do not have the money to have an expanded number of purchased songs that can be available on iTunes. If I take the hours necessary to upload old music files on my external hard drive and have them in local files, do they also disappear if I were to terminate my subscription to Spotify? I have no desire to pirate the files  even if I had the knowledge because I do believe that artists are entitled to their due (even if they have exhorbitent incomes). I strongly sugggest that Spotify revisit the limit cap because it cannot be right to arbitrarily give additional music available to those who have the money for several devices. I wasncontemplating moving all the downloaded songs to one device since I only had one. Now having a cell phone, I could make another 3,333 songs downloaded but then pay for the memory to put them in.  If I had the knowledge I would create a more equitable and accessable program to fill the vacumn and lack that exists. Perhaps computer programming (like my sons degree) may be a good idea and contrast to critical care nursing where one aims to improve and heal rather than frustrate and cause undue suffering. I am their advocate.Who is mine in the digital music arena?         

This item should not be marked "solved."  It is not solved.  We need to be able to download an infinite number of songs to our devices.  There, as in "nya, nya, n', nya, nya"!

Suggested posts