Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Account linked to wrong person

Solved!

Account linked to wrong person

Slightly odd problem i can't find the solution to.

When I log in via my Facebook account I have the Standard packge and no playlists.  When I log in with my Spotify account it defaults to my wife's Facebook profile.  Both account profiles have my email address.

Not sure what is going on here.   Any help would be much appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@ElGeet wrote:

Tried that already but doesn't work.  Even more oddly my FB profile picture appears but with her name!

Edit: at least now both log-in methods lead to the same Premium account but still won't link to my FB and has her name not mine.

The incorrect name thing will sort itself out. It is something I have seen several times here on the community, it appears to be a delay in the pages/data getting updated on the Spotify servers. Leave it 24 hours, your name should come back 🙂 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Thanks for the advice.  My account seems to be back to normal.

Marked as solution

Hi. Are you able to unlink from facebook by following the instructions in the first part of this FAQ?

16 Replies

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Should be easily fixed! 🙂 

Log into your Spotify account in the desktop client, and go to Edit/Spotify > Preferences > Social Network > Disconnect from Facebook (since it appears to be tied to your wifes). Then the button should change to "Connect to Facebook" and relink your own Facebook account. 

Peter

Peter

Tried that already but doesn't work.  Even more oddly my FB profile picture appears but with her name!

Edit: at least now both log-in methods lead to the same Premium account but still won't link to my FB and has her name not mine.

Marked as solution

@ElGeet wrote:

The incorrect name thing will sort itself out. It is something I have seen several times here on the community, it appears to be a delay in the pages/data getting updated on the Spotify servers. Leave it 24 hours, your name should come back 🙂 

Peter

Peter

OK.  Will give it a go and report back.  Thanks.

Marked as solution

@ElGeet wrote:

Awesome! 🙂 

Peter

Peter

Hi,

I have a similar issue; however, I am not (and was not) linked to facebook. Although, in the top right corner is someone elses name and I am getting their playlists merged with mine. Please help!

Marked as solution

Hi. Are you able to unlink from facebook by following the instructions in the first part of this FAQ?

The issue arose when I was not linked to facebook. I tried linking then unlinking, but there is no difference.

Any thoughts?

If you were able to unlink from facebook following those instructions then your account somehow got linked to someone's facebook account. Maybe someone else used spotify on one of your devices or you used your spotify on someone else's device. Unlinking would have broken that connection although the desktop client can take a day or two to update and show the change.

The same goes for linking it to your facebook account, it can take a couple of days to update on the desktop client. Other users will see the change immediately though. If you launch the web player, you should see the change to your profile straight away.

Does the name in the top right automatically mean they are linked via facebook? That is where someone elses name appears (not sure who it is). Since I wasn't linked through facebook to begin with, I'm worried somehow are accounts are linked in general. Their playlists appear on my account.

When I click "account" all of my information appears.

The only option I can think of is to possible terminate my account then create a new one? Not sure how to do this. I am a premium user so I'd rather not go through all of that if I don't have to.

What's your spotify username?

gskarke

and the name in the top right says Mary Perez

OK, I see Gary Skarke and a photo of a male with a big smile so you're switched to your own facebook now.

If you don't want to be linked to facebook, you can disconnect following that FAQ I linked you to. Either way, what shows in the desktop client will take a day or two to update but the whole world will now see you and not some random woman 🙂

Thanks, Joe. Really appreciate all of your help!

You're welcome - it must be very disturbing to discover you changed sex overnight 🙂

Suggested posts