Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Add people/friends without facebook accounts

Solved!

Add people/friends without facebook accounts

I have some friends who are not on facebook but who have premium spotify accounts.

Is there way to add them to my friends toolbar?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Yes. Here are a couple of ways to view a Spotify user’s public profile:

• If you know their username, type spotify:user:username in the search box. (Note that the username must be written in lower-case)
  • You can simply click on a username wherever it appears. For instance, if you are viewing a playlist created by another Spotify user, their username appears at the top of the page.

Once you are viewing a user’s public profile you can add the user to your People list by clicking the “Add ..” button at the top of the page.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Just want to make another note after sending some of you direct emails. 

Usernames are just one word or a series of numbers. You won't be able to search for just 'John Doe'. If your friend goes to his/her Overview Page he/she can find the right username.

Then search 'spotify:user:(his username)'. You'll then find the profile. https://www.spotify.com/account/overview/

View solution in original post

157 Replies
Marked as solution

Yes. Here are a couple of ways to view a Spotify user’s public profile:

• If you know their username, type spotify:user:username in the search box. (Note that the username must be written in lower-case)
  • You can simply click on a username wherever it appears. For instance, if you are viewing a playlist created by another Spotify user, their username appears at the top of the page.

Once you are viewing a user’s public profile you can add the user to your People list by clicking the “Add ..” button at the top of the page.

Awesome! Thanks for the tip, it worked!

When I add a person to my people list, are they notified? Am I automatically added to their people list? Can other spotify users see my people list?

Hi there echoecho!

Your people list is for your own use only--your friends aren't notified and you aren't automatically added to their list. 

Your Spotify profile will only display your Top Artists and Top Tracks (you can opt out of this in your Preferences) and your published playlists. 

Thank you! Don't need the ex to know I still listen to his music. 😉

How do you add someone as a friend on spotify that doesnt have a facebook when u signed up with a facebook??? plz help!!

It's easy for you. Type spotify:user:username (with your friend's username) on the search bar to find your friend. At the top it should say "Make it easier to access username's music by adding them to your people list" with a button to add them.

However, it's a bit harder for your friend to add you. You need to give your "username" which is a string of numbers to your friend. Then your friend does the same as you, using your user number. You can find your number from your profile page: click here

Thx!

This trick doesnt work for me... I keep getting an error that says "load user error".  I'm sure I have the username right..... why is adding a friend not point-and-click???

With the user ID it still works, like: spotify:user:1123007059

This is the 4th time (everytime) that I have had trouble finding a friend, searching by just name, or by spotify:user:username (with user name) just doesnt work. I don't understand why this happens everytime. I know I have gone into my profile and changed my ID number to a name, and used the friends computer and searched for myself, and nothing. WTF.  

It's not possible to change your username. You must have done something else.

Your username will always be a bunch of numbers in that account and the only way to change it is to make a new account and NOT go through Facebook (choose create an account using your email address).

This does not seem to work anymore. 😞 I recently quit fb, but I have an old spotify account. i used to be able to add friends before while not connected, and now it seems impossible. any ideas?

Vina - You can search for users by searching 'spotify:user:username' as mentioned before. Is this not happening?
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

thanks for your quick response. i had to restart spotify a few times to get it to work.

Vina - Oh, ok. Sounds a little strange. Let us know if it starts acting up again.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Hi, I'm experiencing the same problems.

If I enter spotify:user;(username) in the search bar I get a pinkish banner across the top stating 'Load user error'.

I can see my friends top tracks and any published playlists but I don't have the option to add them.

I don't have a facebook account.

When you see the playlist, open any playlist. Then, on the playlist window, click their name again.

I'm also sometimes seeing this problem, opening any playlist from the user you want to view fixes it for me.

Thanks for your help Stupify.

I'd read that could help in anpther forum but this still doesn't solve the problem for me.

They stil appear as Unknown User  and I get the Load user error across the top.

Do other friends need to be Premium accounts for me to add or should I be able to add anyone?

Suggested posts