Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Add people/friends without facebook accounts

Solved!

Add people/friends without facebook accounts

I have some friends who are not on facebook but who have premium spotify accounts.

Is there way to add them to my friends toolbar?

Thanks!

157 Replies

did not work for me 😞

I am viewing someone's profile, and there is no add button! I am following the user, yet I still cannot find a way to add the user to me friends.

I can find the user but there are options to add them as a friend, I can follow them but then if we aren't friends, I can't share music

@taylorberry

Follow him/her and ask him/her to follow you back. Maybe that'll do the trick.

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hello,

I am brand new to Spotify. I found a friend by using

Spotify:user:username, then I selected "Follow."

My friend's icon appears in the upper right-hand corner of my screen. However, all that I can see when I click on my friend's icon are their 7 public playlists.

My friend is following me and can see what I am listening to and what I have listened to recently. I cannot seem to do the same.

I do not have a Facebook account but my friend does. I do not want one.

Is there a way for me to follow my friend "more closely?" Thank you.

@user-removed

You can't see more info on your friend, because that's how he has configured his privacy settings (Edit > Preferences > Privacy).

He needs to update those settings if he's interested in sharing more with you (and everybody else).

osorniosSpotify Star

(At least as of July 2016) there *is* no more add button, not in the windows client, not in the mac client, not on the web player... Are friends that are not on Facebook a deprecated feature?

tap search then type your friends username in and it should work.

I can find a user, view his profile. But there's no button to add him to friends.

Hey all, after a couple of hours flicking between desktop (windows), web and mobile apps trying to add friends (two users under the same family account - gotta be easy right?) without Facebook, I eventually figured out something that worked for me. Your mileage may vary, but at least it is something to try.

1) I used the desktop app on two computers and signed into each of the two accounts, one on each machine (this was just to make things quicker rather than logging in and out and in and out and etc).

(I then did each of the following steps on BOTH machines)

2) In the search box I typed the username of the other account, found the right user under the "PROFILES" sub-category and clicked on that user to bring up their profile. I didn't have to use any special link code like "spotify:user:username" I just typed username and I could see the account in the list. Using the format above will just filter out anything else with "username" as a tag, making it easier... but doesn't appear to be necessary.

3) Looking at the user's profile, click the big "FOLLOW" button to follow them.

4) Shut down the Spotify program / app / software

5) Restart the Spotify program / app / software

6) At this stage on ONE of the accounts, I could see the other account in the friends list to the right. I couldn't see this in the other one. I believe this is to do with either preferences or that the user hasn't actually done anything to create activity to populate that area. However, it is irrelevant... don't spend an hour trying to get it in there like I did and move to the next step...

7) Go to a playlist in one account you wish to share with the other and next to the "PLAY" button click the menu button (three dots in the circle) to bring up the drop-down menu and choose "Share".

😎 You'll likely be on the "POST TO FOLLOWERS" tab but need to be on the "SEND TO..." tab so click on it 🙂

9) Start typing the username of the other account into the "Enter a friend's name" field and magically the user will appear...  even IF they don't appear in the Friend activity space or you don't think they are ACTUALLY a friend

ADDITIONAL INFO - SHARING IS PRETTY DARNED EASY ACTUALLY

If all you want to do is share a playlist all you need to do is copy the playlist link or Spotify URI from the drop-down menu (circle with three dots) and send that to someone...   text it to them on the phone, email them, whatever. They can use that code to see the playlist. They don't have to be following you or anything else related to your user...   you don't need to be following them...  no-one needs to be friends... you merely need that link.

You don't need to make the playlist public first either and sharing the link is sharing a private code to the playlist, only those who have that link / code will be able to access it.

Wish to have other's you've shared the link with be able to collaborate...  go back to the menu and click "Collaborative Playlist".

Hope this clarifies a few things and the above steps actually help some others out. Again I make no guarantee, but it worked for me and I don't see why it won't for those at least using Windows.

Goffles

Edit - Just found this with basically same information along with more, but less baby-stepped out as mine above https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Community-Blog/Tutorial-Finding-Friends-All-Methods/ba-p/42...

i cant even get the option to follow 

why not just have option to search for users (facebook or not), why make it hard?

do you really expect people to recall some arcane coding in order to find their non-facebook friends?

why make it difficult for people to connect, isn't this meant to be a social platform?

What if they don't know their username?

Hey @J_Kalenza

To find out your username you need to go to your webplayer profile.

Right click your name, and you'll see the option 'Copy Spotify URL'.

Click it it and paste the results somewhere. You'll get something like this:

https://play.spotify.com/user/xXxXXxxX

That string of characters at the end is your username, which can be shared.

Hope it helps. 🙂
osorniosSpotify Star

This is kind of ridiculous. It isn't hard to add a search function for email addresses and usernames. It's just a table in a database. Not everyone has Facebook or wants Spotify associated with their social media accounts.

pretty annoying right? is it so hard to build in an easier way of doing this?

facebook is evil. why does spotify have to be?

What if you want to add a friend who doesn't have a username? I mean what if they use their email instead - how would I find them?

Hey @Runatakko

To find out your username you need to go to your webplayer profile.

Right click your name, and you'll see the option 'Copy Spotify URL'.

Click it it and paste the results somewhere. You'll get something like this:

https://play.spotify.com/user/xXxXXxxX

That string of characters at the end is your username, which can be shared.

In the mobile app, you can share your profile too. Just go to Your Library, and click on your avatar in the top left corner, which will show your profile. Click on the three dots at the top right corner, and you will be able to share it to your friends.

Hope it helps. 🙂
osorniosSpotify Star

Suggested posts