Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Ads on Spotify (Premium Subscriber)

Ads on Spotify (Premium Subscriber)

As a premium subscriber, why are there ads at the top of my Discover page?

Screen Shot 2013-06-25 at 10.44.11 AM.pngoriginal.png

14 Replies

Hi,

I believe a couple of users have had this issue, and Spotify are checking it. I'll escalate it annyway to make sure they are looking into it.

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

It really makes me want to cancel out of principle. In fact, the whole Discover section feels like a giant ad. Including information from apps I haven't installed like SongKick. Ugh. It's getting messy around Spotify.

Hi,

Just to let you know, these page ads are being put on for all users, both subscribers and non subscribers.

Premium users will only receive ads relevant to labels (i.e. music related), but free users will receive general advertising as well (i.e. some will not be music related, like default ads before songs). This is the same as what What's new used to have, so nothings changed really!

As for the future, I can't confirm anything, but I do know that Spotify are aware of users feedback on this, and are looking into it.

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

@musickevin wrote:

It really makes me want to cancel out of principle. In fact, the whole Discover section feels like a giant ad. Including information from apps I haven't installed like SongKick. Ugh. It's getting messy around Spotify.

Those "ads" are from labels (so not external advertisers) and are in What's New too, although there was an option to hide them in the What's New page. I don't have a crystal ball but I would say a similar option for disocver is likely to appear in the future. 

As for the SongKick, I find it incredibly useful, but I do agree there should be a way to remove those!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Thanks for the information. I had the ad turned off on 'What's New', because I was paying for that luxury.

With 'What's New' going away and with an ad showing up (whatever the reason and origin of the ad), and with the improvement of many of the competing services, I am really am holding on to my subscription lightly. Not trying to threaten with my measly $9.99 a month, but geez - make it easier for us to stay.

This is the best one yet. And by "best" I mean absolute worst.

Screen Shot 2013-06-27 at 9.18.50 AM.png

The Monsters Inc. one definitely caught my attention in a negative way as well. I'd like to chime in that I find the Discover page extrremely useful and have been checking for updates several times a day for the past couple weeks. The preview button is excellent and should be implemented in more places. 

But please get rid of the ads. Don't turn this into a cable television situation where I'm paying to get ads with my content. I turned down my cable subscription long ago 🙂

WTF. What is going on with these ADS in premium?! Why are they not removed????????????????

at least give us an option to completely remove them in settings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks

So, I notice that Spotify has updated (on OSX at least). Still seeing ads. What's new is still missing. Discover is still poor at best. Not looking good. I feel like flirting with Rdio.

Alright. The ads just keep on coming on the Discover page (which is also a source of much customer concern). I'm out.

I would also like to express my discontent regarding these ads. Recently Lady Gaga ad showed up on my Discover tab and it's nowhere near my musical taste. I'm often using Discover, thus it annoys me a lot, especially with the clickable area so large. If these ads keep on appearing I will most certainly cancel my subscription.

Those "adverts" on the discover page are not true adverts in the sense they can only come from the record labels as "Music Announcements" which also appeared on premium accounts when we had the old "What's New" page, although there was an option to hide them. Hopefully something like that option is in the pipeline, since I can understand its a bit annoying!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

They are ads.

Suggested posts