Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Block other users.

Block other users.

There is a person who I would like to block from following me, messaging me, sending me tracks, and any other interaction.

I am no longer friends with this person on facebook, and I have selected "Block from inbox" on this person’s name in my inbox.

The current minimal feature to block a user does not work at all. I have since selecting "block" received tracks from this user.

Please fix these privacy issues. This is the only from of social media I am unable to block this person on, and they are abusing that.

Yes, there have been similar posts to this, but the issue has not been resolved, and I thought I could explain it more thoroughly.

Thank you,

R4D

34 Replies

I'll be interested to see what replies you get..I'd like to block someone too and am finding it impossible.

Heeeey theeeereeee!

This is possible! However you need to do some work with it.

First: go to your Inbox and then click "Filter". Now please check "Show only from folks I follow".

Then! Just add folks to your list. Go to profile and then "Add person".

And now you receive only messages from folks you're following. However those blocked folks can still send messages, but you see only messages from folks you're following!

Hope this heeeeelpssss!!!

Any questions ... just ask !!!

simrie - which version of the app are you running?

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Yea, with all the new functionality implemented to Spotify a block user functionality should be a main priority! 

I have someone who is adding unrelated tracks to my collaborative playlist. I don't want to make the list uncollaborative because fans of the show Glee might know songs from the show I don't remember and/or have found sources of the songs other than my local ones that they can't see.

I'm sure this guy is just adding his music in an attempt to get the attention of the producers of Glee, but I doubt very seriously they follow the playlist. Regardless, I want to block him from adding tracks to the playlist, not block him from sending me messages.

I have someone adding unrelated tracks to my collaborative "Glee Covers & Their Originals" playlist. I don't want to make the list uncollaborative because fans might know songs from the show I don't remember and/or have found sources of the songs other than my local ones that they can't see.

I'm sure this guy is adding his music in hopes of getting the attention of the producers/music programmers of Glee, but I doubt they follow the playlist. Regardless, I want to block him from adding tracks to the playlist, not block him from sending me messages.

hpguru wrote:

First: go to your Inbox and then click "Filter". Now please check "Show only from folks I follow".

Then! Just add folks to your list. Go to profile and then "Add person".

And now you receive only messages from folks you're following. However those blocked folks can still send messages, but you see only messages from folks you're following!

There is no "Filter" when I go to my inbox. There is an "ignored users," which just brings up a box that says, "You have no ignored users," and doesn't give me any option to add any. Nowhere in the messages section or my profile did I see anything about ignored users, nor did I see anything about "only people I follow," except when it came to whom got to see what in my personal info and community activity.

Hey @user-removed ! 🙂 

Unfortunately, there is no way to block someone from following you or from editing a collaborative playlist. Its especially annoying when someone won't stop editing your playlist!

The inbox filter is a bit of a random one too, I have never been able to get it to work correctly since Facebook came on the scene! 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hey there.

I'm sorry to hear there is no more option to hide unfollowed folks.

New design in app, bInbox is now Messages, so there you can talk about music with your friends / other guys.

If you want to stop followers in playlist, make it private when you create playlist.

It appears that with the Spotify app (at least on Mac), you can go into Messages, click on the message from a user you want to block, which opens their profile (if I recall correctly), and on that page there is a small button with "..." in it, and block is an option for blocking. It warns that blocking cannot be undone, so I cannot go back and verify the steps I just did.

I suspects it's a new feature since you posted the initial issue.

You are correct, you can now block people in Messages from the "..." option on the message conversation/tab with the person.

Peter

The issue is not blocking people in the messaging section though, right? It seems the issue is blocking people from following you or your playlists in general.  Just trying to unmuddy the waters here....Or does blocking them in that section somehow block them from following you as well?

@Peter wrote:
You are correct, you can now block people in Messages from the "..." option on the message conversation/tab with the person.

I have a stalker ex from a long time ago that I need to block. I have a restraining order against him abd yet this is my only social media i cannot block him on

You can block people from the Messages tab yes, however you can not completely block someone so they can't see your activity or playlists I'm afraid.

Peter

@user-removed wrote:

There is a person who I would like to block from following me, messaging me, sending me tracks, and any other interaction.

I am no longer friends with this person on facebook, and I have selected "Block from inbox" on this person’s name in my inbox.

The current minimal feature to block a user does not work at all. I have since selecting "block" received tracks from this user.

Please fix these privacy issues. This is the only from of social media I am unable to block this person on, and they are abusing that.

Yes, there have been similar posts to this, but the issue has not been resolved, and I thought I could explain it more thoroughly.

Thank you,

R4D

Hi,

I sent a message to a person on spotify and then blocked them. Will they still receive that message?

Thanks

Will this keep them from following you? Or just msging you? Thanks!

Just messaging you unfortunately

I'm in the same position as you; my ex girlfriend, though not really a stalker, is still following me on Spotify.

Suggested posts