Sam
Accepted Solution

Can I set up a family/group subscription?

[ Edited ]

Spotify accounts are set up for personal use only. This means we can't offer any kind of shared account.

The majority of revenue we earn from subscriptions, and the income generated by ads, is paid straight to the music rights holders. They represent the artists and composers. Allowing the use of the account by more than one person wouldn't be totally fair, as many people would listen to music for the cost of a single subscription.

If you're interested in sharing Spotify with your family or friends, there are a number of features that share music between personal Spotify accounts. 

One of the best of these is playlist sharing. Send someone a playlist, and get the recipient to "subscribe" to the playlist. Or you can choose to make the playlist "collaborative." This means that you can all add (and subtract) tracks whenever you like.

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?
Gold Streaming Artist
hpguru

Re: Can I set up a family/group subscription?

[ Edited ]

Spotify is good! For 10 € per month the whole music... more than 17 million tracks... it's not so much. This is awesome deal. Now i can listen what i want, instantly. And Mobile software awesome. Music is my best friend and for this price no better way to spend my money. Buy Premium now.

I can live without candy, but not without music.

Spotify for music listening, user since April 2009. Netflix for movie watching, user since July 2013. 100M/5M cable modem and 50M/25M mobile network. Pimp your life with streaming everywhere!
Music Fan
juracan

I understand The concept but if i'm already paying for a premium subscription could i get a discont on adding another account to my profile.  Like paying an extra $5 a month to add a user to your account. Since technically we'd be sharing everything on the account.  Is this something that is being considered?

Concert Regular
DaveK

[ Edited ]

Sam, This reply is unacceptable. You should have said, "We are working on a way to allow gifting of Spotify accounts." 

Keep being inovative and proactive. Doing this can only help Spotifiy.

DaveK

Spotify
David

Dave - Sam's response above was to explain the current situation of subscriptions. At present, Spotify accounts are for personal use only.

However, your reply mentions "Gifting of Spotify accounts". This, we do have up and running already (with the exception of the US). ECards are available in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland & United Kingdom, and some of those countries also have Gift cards available in store.

We do have an Ideas thread relating to Family subscriptions, however. If you wish to show your support for this idea, you can find it right here.

-----
Spotify
Music Lover
marcussdidk

This is wy I am uninstalling spotify and delating my account. We are four persons in this family and with four mobile devices. It's not possible to have a monthly fee of about €40. For that you get alot of music on itunes. Which is possible to share in the family.

So, by,by Spotify....

Music Lover
cornholioo

I don't even think 10/month is worth it. I've gotten a total of 2+ months free (because I'm awesome), but I'm seriously debating going back to my old ways (guess) just to avoid the advertisements.

Concert Regular
AnrsBusk

Well if you're a premium user there isn't really any advertisements? I've been for a coiple of months now, and I haven't come across any?!

Gold Streaming Artist
hpguru

Unlimited and Premium are both ad-free.

Spotify for music listening, user since April 2009. Netflix for movie watching, user since July 2013. 100M/5M cable modem and 50M/25M mobile network. Pimp your life with streaming everywhere!
Music Fan
Sframp

So, wait. Spotify justifies the fact that paid customers cannot set up a family plan because it wouldn't be "totally fair" to the music rights holders. Okay, so...it makes more sense to keep someone who is paying—indirectly— the music rights holders for their music from being able to have multiple people use the PAID account than to only give one person access to the account and have everyone else in the family go and download the music illegally? Am I, like, the only person that considers this?
Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.