Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't' change password

Solved!

Can't' change password

Hi,

I'm trying to change my password on my spotify account but it says "Another account is already registered with this email address."

What do I do?

165 Replies

@Theblue96 wrote:

Hello,

I still haven't got any email. I tried the first contact form on monday 06-May and the second contact form on tuesday the seventh. I had clearly stated my problem and my new email adres. Should I try again or wait a little bit longer?

Did you get an automated reply from either of those or did they both go to an old email address?

If you got one, post your case number here and I will ask someone to chase it up for you. If not, try using this contact form, just be sure to reply directly to any automated emails you get so they get pushed to an advisor!

Sorry for the hassle!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

cant change password. just get the message that an account already exists with my email. Can you help me?

@aebioa wrote:

cant change password. just get the message that an account already exists with my email. Can you help me?

It sounds like you have two accounts in the system, its easily fixed but you will need to get in touch with the Spotify team directly using the online contact form and they will be able to remove it for you. 

Also, be sure to reply directly to any automated email replies you get, that way you are guarenteed an answer from an advisor 🙂 

Peter

Peter

Same problem here. Can't change password. Just says another account using my email-address.

@superpanic wrote:

Same problem here. Can't change password. Just says another account using my email-address.

If you get in touch using the link I posted above someone will be able to get that sorted out for you. 

Peter

Peter

Same deal here.  Let me know when I can try again.... 😞 .

@wontonotnow wrote:

Same deal here.  Let me know when I can try again.... 😞 .

Give it another go now and you should be okay. 🙂

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

I can also not reset my password, I am trying to do so in order to connect my Sonos system. WhenI try to link, it prompts me to get a device ID, when I click the link requesting it, I land on my account settings. When I go to change my password, I am not able to change it as I logged in via Facebook, and therefor do not have a password. The exact issue I have can also be described here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Accounts-and-Subscriptions/Resetting-password-doesn-t-work/td-...

Hi. You can't change your password because you are connecting through facebook. You can change your password there but not on your account profile.

Anyway, you need a device username and password which you can get from your account profile by selecting the "Set a password for your devices" link then hitting the "send e-mail to set password" button on the next page. You should get the email within 24 hours. You may want to check your spam folder if you haven't received it.

@grandaardvark wrote:

I can also not reset my password, I am trying to do so in order to connect my Sonos system. WhenI try to link, it prompts me to get a device ID, when I click the link requesting it, I land on my account settings. When I go to change my password, I am not able to change it as I logged in via Facebook, and therefor do not have a password. The exact issue I have can also be described here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Accounts-and-Subscriptions/Resetting-password-doesn-t-work/td-...

Same problem here, unable to change password.

@bnleez wrote:

Same problem here, unable to change password.

What error message are you getting? 

Peter

Peter

I do not seem to have that link (to set username and password) anywhere on ky pofile. And yes, I have a premium subscription. Any ideas?

You mean a device password? 

If you go to your online overview is your username a load of numbers or is it a username you have chosen? 

Peter

Peter

It is a username.

@grandaardvark wrote:

It is a username.

Then you don't need to set any other usernames, just log in on any of your devices using that username and your standard Spotify password. 

Peter

Peter

That is the problem, I used Facebook as my log-in (which I will never do again for anything), so I don't have a Spotify password. Every time I've tried to use the Facebook password, it fails. Help documentation says to set up a Spotofy password, but I've not been able to figure out how.

@grandaardvark wrote:

That is the problem, I used Facebook as my log-in (which I will never do again for anything), so I don't have a Spotify password. Every time I've tried to use the Facebook password, it fails. Help documentation says to set up a Spotofy password, but I've not been able to figure out how.

If you have a username which is not a string of numbers then you have a Spotify created account, so you must have set a password when you registered. 

If you need a password reset, log out of the website then go to https://www.spotify.com/uk/password-reset/ and enter your username and the system should email you a password reset request. 

Peter

Peter

i have the same problem, cant change password due to "another account is already registered with this email". 

I guess my "duplicated" facebook account is spookying around..? Id love to have that one removed so i can change it.. 🙂

I've tried that a number of times, I never receive an email, and I have checked my spam folder. Any ideas?

Use the online contact form and someone at Spotify will help get this sorted. If you get an automated reply, make sure to reply to it directly (even though it says not to) to speed things along.

@ejjjan wrote:

i have the same problem, cant change password due to "another account is already registered with this email". 

I guess my "duplicated" facebook account is spookying around..? Id love to have that one removed so i can change it.. 🙂

Suggested posts