Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cancelling subscription due to censoring

Solved!

Cancelling subscription due to censoring

So I've scurred through the forums to realize that the songs that somehow magically got censored somwhere inbetween when i put them into my playlist untill now were actually censored all along, and the cursings I've heard has all been in my imagination. Just wanted you to know that I do not like being lied to or when people/companies make changes to something that is mine without consulting with me first.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Spotify does not delete or censore anything, record labels do this.

View solution in original post

17 Replies
Marked as solution

Spotify does not delete or censore anything, record labels do this.

Koi - As Hpguru said, we don't censor music in any way. Jude explains it very clearly here: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Social-Off-Topic/Censored-songs/m-p/29943#M28
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Is there no way to default to playing the non-censored version of a song or album?  If I'm paying $120 per year for the service, and I'm choosing to listen to songs that are most definitely not for children, it's safe to assume I can handle hearing words from a pre-defined list of naughty language.

I cringe every time I hear Lady Gaga say that she's a "free bit, baby."

I can't even figure out how to access the non-censored version of a song from within the iPhone app.  It looks like I'd need to make a playlist on the desktop in order to listen to non-censored music on my iPhone.

Hmm, I've been toying with Rdio and it looks like this isn't a problem they have.

Is there any plan to deal with this in the near term?  I'd prefer to stay on Spotify since I don't think I can port my playlists, but this issue is significant enough that I'd jump to a competitor.

I am having a similar issue. The song were never censored on my phone until today and on my desktop app in my playlists they are still explicit. However my phone is censoring them and this is every annoying. How do I fix this? 

This is beyond annoying.  The iPhone app seems to default to the edited version of albums and the only way I can find the alternate version is to search specifically for a song and then go the album from there.  This needs to be fixed.  I'm paying for this service and I do not want to hear this butchered crap.  There needs to be an option to never hear edited songs.  I am seriously considering leaving Spotify due to this.  From what I'm reading, i'm not the only one upset by this.

I switched to RDIO a few months ago because of this.  They don't have this problem, and so far I haven't found that I'm missing anything from Spotify.

This would be such an easy fix.. Just add the option to the mobile app to show only unedited music.. Judging by the age of this thread, this has been a problem for a while and Spotify couldn't care less.. Well thanks for the tip. RDIO HERE I COME!

You should care because the way they censor the music interfers with the user experience and caused me for one to cancel for nearly a year and cost Spotify $119.88 in profits. I will not listen to music with bleeps, omitted words, whirs, glurps, or any other added sounds. when I find an album like that I stop listening to it. We need a way to specify by accounts if we want cleaned music.

I'm very close to cancelling over this as well. I've posted before, and this always gets ignored.

A much bigger issue, for me, is when explicit versions of the songs get replaced by censored ones in my playlists. REPEATEDELY. It's happening much more often now, and it is **bleep**ing annoying.

Agreed. I've scoured the posts about censored music and all the mods have to say is "this music is provided to us like this, it's not spotify's fault." What they should be saying is "We are working on a way to provide a better service to our customers."

After listening to my playlist and having another song that has played previously with any edits magically become edited, I immediately uninstalled spotify and stopped my subscription. Rdio has been awesome so far. Big thanks to the person who found and shared that one. That's really the only reason I am posting...To say thanks.

Maybe I'll re-visit spotify when this is fixed but until then, it's not like it matters. I'm one of the few that complain and apparently that's not good enough for a solution.

*without. Typo. Sorry!

You're welcome!

I cancelled my description.

It's honestly too expensive to begin with, but when I logged on today and tried to listen to the Ready to Die album by Biggie and the entire thing was heavily censored I decided I was done.

Reading Spotify representitives' posts on these forums cemented my decision. 

This is awful I fell in love with Spotify 'till I noticed that a lot of tracks are censored and this is inacceptable for me especially if you the original lyrics.. It makes me really mad, how can you cripple music like this???

I don't see any solutions. I'm ready to cancel my premium subscription because of this. I don't want to hear empty patches of music.

I add an explicit song to the playlist and a week later, it will be censored. 

Planning to check out Google Play music, and I guess RDIO. I hope someone from Spotify gets back to me. I have a love of playlists created, but I will not tolerate this oversight.

Suggested posts