Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cost of Spotify Premium for different countries in relation to USD.

Cost of Spotify Premium for different countries in relation to USD.

Cost of Spotify Premium for different countries converted to USD.

Australian dollar $11.99  = $12.5

Euro 9.99€  = $12.5

Swiss franc 12.95 = $13.5

Swedish kronor 99 =  $15

British pound 9.99 = $15.8

Danish krone 99 = $16.64

Norwegian krone 99 = $17

Price for Spotify premium in the US: $9.99

I could come up with several different reasons why this is how it is, however I would like someone who actually works at spotify to state the reasons why the price for spotify premium differs so much between countries. And why it would be cheapest in the USA.

Thank you.

Tvspotify1

29 Replies

Most do, Spotify have offices all over the world for licensing reasons.

Subscription prices are a relative thing, it comes down to how much people in a market "expect" to pay for a service like this imo. Like in the UK when you convert it, we possibly pay the most for Spotify in the world, but in actual fact £9.99 is an acceptable price (because we get ripped of on everything).

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

There are some tax issues but VAT is lower in CH than in the rest of Europe (we're not in to EU - thankfully).  This is a typical example of being ripped off because we're stupid (the stupidity tax)... I was going to buy a subscription at 9.99USD but then it told me I had to pay more (12CHF, ~15USD or so).  Why... becuse I have not choice... Is it any wonder people rip stuff off?  Not really.  Just check out the differeances between the CHF, GBP, EUR and USD on the Google store, Amazon and itunes...

I actually did a comparison lately between Spotify subscription prices worldwide (normalised to US dollars) vs GDP PPP per capita for each country which through up some interesting results.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Philippine members only pay 129 pesos. That's roughly $2.80 a month!

This thread should be necroed. First of all, tax differs everywhere. Even in the U.S., people pay different prices on different states. So this shouldn't matter. Second, digital rights differs from country to country as well (idk if the content vary too). Third, companies that sells products on a global scale wants profit maximized so the tactics (prices and stuff) differs as well. They try to check what would be comfortable price for a certain geographic market, like for the Philippines, it's as the previous person said the App is cheap. That's because if they want to get the market for the country, which doesn't care about this stuff, but cares more about food and daily necessities, the price should be competitive. Thing is, the service is a luxury. Unlike food, water, electricity etc. no one said that you should take the price they set for your country. In the Philippines, even if the price is very cheap, maybe only 1-5 percent of the population use the app. So, pay for it if you like it. Ignore it if you can't afford it. But nobody sets a global price for a certain product, it's the country and the company that sets it.

The price is different because money is not a linear thing. I'm from Portugal, and if I'm not mistaken, Premium here around 7€, not the 9,99€. But in other countries Euro countries the minimum wage is double or triple than what it is here. We buy thing for cheaper prices, true , but we don't have all the money people in other countries have. A coffee in France costs roughly 3€ and it costs 0.60€ here! It all depends on the economy, and in some of those countries where premium translates in a higher price, comparing to the u.s. charge, maybe it's actually cheaper...

The cost of Spotify Premium in Philippines is 129 Pesos which is equivalent to 2.73 dollar

here in the philippines Spotify premium costs 129 Php or 2.56 USD 🙂

Listed price for Premium on the Belgian website is now 99 dollars per month.   Way too expensive.

I suppose it depends on the ability of the country's citizens to pay, and Spotify adjusts their price to accomadate what the most people can afford. 

For example, in Malaysia we are charged RM 14.99 per month and that's like, what, 4 USD? 

But if it were any higher, no one would subscribe because we earn a lot less comparatively.

Suggested posts