Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Credit Card Fraud

Credit Card Fraud

I received a charge on my credit card for $9.99 by Spotify.  I never use Spotify nor did I subscribe to the premium account.  I had to search my email to see if I had ever even used Spotify in the past.

This is credit card fraud and I notified my credit card company; however, when I emailed spotify, requesting information about the account that charged my card, I did not received a response.

There is no way to speak to someone by phone and the email contact form customer service is slow (no response for >24 hrs) if I do get a response at all.

I hope this forum will be more efficient.  I would like to figure out who used my credit card fraudulently.

30 Replies

Hi there! Unfortunately, no one here can access your account.

I recommend reaching out directly to Spotify Support again. With this anonymous online contact form, you can reach them without subscribing to / having access to a Spotify account.

Make sure to check your inbox and junk folder for an email from Spotify. Once you get it, make sure to reply back right away, even if it says it's from a "no-reply" email. This will assign your case to a Spotify rep and you should hear back within 24 hours.

Cheers!

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution!
Twitter | LinkedIn | Instagram
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

I have the EXACT same issue. $9.99 charge on a credit card that I have NEVER given to Spotify. I have a Spotify Free account that I have never linked any credit card information to, nor did I even have the credit card that was just charged at the time of my Spotify sign up. I have NEVER signed up for any sort of paid subscription for Spotify. This is called FRAUD. 

I have filled out the anonymous contact form that I read about on this community when I discovered this issue and immediately responded to the no-reply email that confirmed receipt of my complaint. It has now been OVER 48 HOURS AND I HAVE STILL NOT GOTTEN ANY RESPONSE. I have checked my junk and spam and trash folders. No response. This is a scam. As already mentioned by another user, there is no contact number for Spotify to resolve this (I now wonder if the whole reason is so that they can unlawfully charge your credit card and make it a nightmare to investigate it) and they have not been responsive via the online form. 

I would never have expected something like this from a company like Spotify. I have reported the charge as fraudulent with my credit card company and blocked all future charges from Spotify. I urge anyone else with this issue to do the same and to publicize this issue online. 

Regardless of the reason this has happened, Spotify needs to learn to provide better customer service to handle issues like this. People shouldn't have to angerly post on Spotify's own community forum to have a serious issue like this addressed in a timely manner.

My advice to Spotify: provide a phone number for these kinds of issues and address them very quickly and seriously. You are only hurting your own users, customers, and supporters and therefore your business. 

I also have recently had a fraudulent charge on my credit card credited to Spotify and since I do not have a Spotify account, I was very upset that I could not submit the issue directly to Spotify support. First off, I need to understand more about this case of fraud and what kind of information was used to create the bogus charge. If I don't get a satisfactory effort from Spotify's customer support department, I will NEVER USE THEIR SERVICE...EVER!!!!!

@shastew1 - Did you open a case via the contact form and then reply directly to the automated email?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I did find a way to contact Spotify Customer Service and at first they responded to my issue, but I haven't heard of any action regarding my request for support yet. I'm also very unhappy with the arrangement they have of only allowing registered user accounts to submit issues, and they way they send sensitive personal account data in plain text in their auto reply emails.

@shastew1 - Non-registered accounts can submit a case online:
https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-anonymous/

How long has it been since you last heard from them?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

You should report Spotify to your state's attorney general.  They should not be able to get away with fraudulent activities!

what is going on with spotify its an absolute joke ive sent several emails and none of them have responded to my query i have been a victim of credit card fraud my card details were stolen and i have contacted spotify to completely close my free subscription and asked them to give me the contact details of the fraud support team so i can get these details removed and i have had nothing but no help and nonsesnse and today i get an email telling me support can be found in the community ................ what the hell is that about its disgusting and obviously my issue means nothing to them . something needs to be done about this its shocking and very bad customer support . 

@user-removed

Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

If you still have not gotten a reply:

Did you get a confirmation email from the contact form? It should be similar to "Spotify Support Case #XXXXXXX". If so, reply back to that email and tell them you still need help.

If you got an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it saying you still need help, even if it's from a no-reply address.

If you never got an email, look in your spam folder to see if there is an email in there. Make sure you are checking the email account you used to sign up to Spotify. You can check the email on your account here.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

believe me i have done this 3 times now and im getting no where with them they dont seem to be taking my issue very seriously at all . 

Something similar happened to me.
Some loser charged $128.15 from Spotify using my stolen credit card number. I have made many different efforts to get ahold of someone. What kind of a company doesn't have a phone number? 

Recently got a new credit card because my old one was compromised. Someone hoe Spotify got access to my new one without my permission. Time for legal ramifications after reading everyone elses posts.

Spotify is a joke. Bunch of criminals. Can't believe they haven't been prosecuted already. We should start a class action suit.

SAME thing JUST happened to me!  My credit card company said Spotify refused to acknowledge it as fraud "because the correct information was given."  WHAT????  Then I realized, I used this card to stay at a hotel in St. George Utah!  So THAT is how they have my email, phone number, address etc.!   Here is a THOUGHT Spotify.... CONFIRM with the FRAUD department that has CONTACTED you the email and phone number THE CREDIT CARD company has on file AGAINST what you have!  DUH

13m ago

Hi yes my name is brian urueta my spotify should only have 1 account which is the one I'm using and it is for $9.99 with the visa card I have but the payment isnt in till 1/10/2017. but it shows spotify taking out $29 out of my account this morning 1/8/17 at 3 AM I called my bank to cancel the card due to fraud of someone using my card & money to open up another account I'm wondering if it's possible for me to get my money back from spotify numbers 3529425829 email at brian.urueta@yahoo.com please contact me

Hi

I don't know about that number but I did sign up to open an account so I could use their "page" for communication. One thing I also did was post a request for a reply on their Facebook which one gentleman was not happy with me "putting my problem with them 'out there' in public!" I said well if you had EASY TOO FIND NUMBERS to call it wouldn't have happened. Anyhow they promptly fixed the situation and refunded me the money. I suspect it was a hotel we used the card to reserve a room. They get all your personal information over the phone.

Hi, this just happened to me too, I'm getting mad trying to find out some sort of customer centre. I found a charge for 9,99€ on my debit card, the date is 5 th of January. What did the credit card centre said about it?

Hi, same story here. I was at the phone with my credit card company now, apparently there 4 payments for 9,99€ to Spotify that started appearing in October (it's very weird since we never noticed them before, but we noticed straightaway the one this month!), this makes 50€ they stole from me! And still not acceptable answer! Worst thing is, I never gave them my credit/debit card details, and still they found a way to charge me, I'm terrified. Is there anything legal we can do about it?

Curious.... have you used your credit card to hold a hotel room in the past 6 months? If not, a local repair person who has your info? I did an experiment once where I only used a specific card for online purchases and never had an issue. I used a different card for getting a hotel room or for using out of town. That helped me narrow it down. Remember you cc company at the very least will refund you that $50.00.... by law they have to. I JUST used my Discover card to reserve at hotel room in Utah and 4 days later there were 3 charges for Walmart.com. My cc company called me like 2 minutes after they went through and asked if those were mine. I said no! They will be crediting my account and I took it a step further and contacted Walmart.com and they canceled the order. Man people get a job! Right??

Suggested posts