Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Do not want to pay for spotify premium after free 48 hour trial.

Solved!

Do not want to pay for spotify premium after free 48 hour trial.

This may be a stupid question, but bear with me.  I recently signed up for spotify and did not realize that there was a free and premium subscription.  I was automatically put on a 48 free trial for premium, but I do not want to start paying for premium when the trial is over.  For those that have more experience with spotify, do I just wait until the free trial is over and then I'll automatically be on the free subscription, or do I need to delete an account or the trial in order to not have to pay anything?  Thanks for your help in advance.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey,

Very warm welcome to the community.

This free trial for two days is total free and you not be charged. After this trial your account is again Free and may be with those limitations, but you are free to use it without sending money to Spotify.

However you can subscribe to Unlimited or Premium at any time.

Thank you for using Spotify.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Is is the same with a seven day trial as well?

View solution in original post

43 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey,

Very warm welcome to the community.

This free trial for two days is total free and you not be charged. After this trial your account is again Free and may be with those limitations, but you are free to use it without sending money to Spotify.

However you can subscribe to Unlimited or Premium at any time.

Thank you for using Spotify.

Thanks dude.  Appreciate the quick response.

You're welcome!

Im lost! Im going thru the same thing but I actually signed up for the free version on my laptop and it worked fine but then when I signed into my spotify on my mobile it told me I had a 48 trial. Is this trial for the mobile but I will still be able to access it on my laptop or am I to make a third account??

If you sign up for a free Spotify account you have a 48 hours trial for the mobile app.

After this time you can't use the mobile feature anymore but of course keep listening to Spotify free on your desktop.

No need to make a new account, the trial is included in every new free Spotify registration.

But how do u listen to the same account on two mobile devices? I don't want to pay for two different premiums.

@angecarter wrote:
But how do u listen to the same account on two mobile devices? I don't want to pay for two different premiums.

Hey 🙂 

You can use your premium login on as many devices as you like, however, you can only have 3 devices with offline stored content at any given time, up to a maximum of 3,333 tracks per device. You can only have 1 active streaming session at any given time to, so if you are listening online on one device and you start listening online on another, your playback will be paused. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi there, I'm interested in getting a 3-month premium subscription for my sister for Christmas but I want her to take advantage of the 30-day free trial to make sure she really likes this site (she will be mainly using this on her iPad so I have some concerns that I want to make sure to iron out before she starts). Anyhow, I just wanted to know if her 3-month subscription will start from the date of purchase or AFTER the 30-day free trial is over. If you can help, please let me know. Today is December 24th, 2012 & I would like to purchase her Christmas gift today or tomorrow so she has something to enjoy. She specifically mentioned this website so I'm pretty sure she'll like it. Also, please tell me if I can open an account for her or if she has to do it herself. She knows how to use computers but I'm a little more tech-savvy so I'd like to do it for her just for convenience-sake. Lastly, I hate to ask this late but please respond ASAP because I need to get her set up as soon as I can. Thanks, Andy

mrandy - Sounds like the best thing to do in your case would be to get her to set up an account, and started on the 30 day trial. Then, after this, you can redeem the code for a 3-month subscription. This will credit the account with an additional 3 months after the 30 day trial.

Although bare in mind that the 30 day trial works on a monthly subscription basis - So after the gift card has finished, the card used to sign up will be charged.

Airhorn Enthusiast

David, got a question about that too. If you redeem the premium code during the free trial will it cancel the trial and start the subscription right away or let the normal 30 days trial run out first before it switches to the redeemed code's subscription?

Just asking because you said "after this, you can redeem...".

Apologies if I was a little unclear. 

Here's an example. 

Say you started your 30 day Premium trial today. It'd end around 23rd January (probably, this is all in hypothetical land) and either change into a paid subscription, or revert to the free version of Spotify if you cancelled your subscription.

However, on Christmas day, you get a code for an additional three months of Premium. If you redeem this code, you are credited for these 3 months in addition to your free trial. So, rather than getting charged for the first time in January, you won't get charged until April. Basically, it'd "add it on" to the end of your trial period. 

Airhorn Enthusiast

Alright, thanks for clearing this up David!

thank you for asking this question and thanks for asking it. I was getting worried. Ive used it before on my laptop and it had never said that beofre

so if your listenign to it on a mobile device then your paying for the premium?

@Smiler wrote:

so if your listenign to it on a mobile device then your paying for the premium?

To listen on a mobile device requires a premium subscription. However, it is possible to be on a 48 hour (non-renewing) or 30 day (automatically renewing) trial which you do not need to pay for.

Peter

Peter

hi im a little confused,

i installed spotify to my desktop a couple of hours ago and a sign has just popped up saying im using premium ! am i paying for this ?

@kelle234 wrote:

hi im a little confused,

i installed spotify to my desktop a couple of hours ago and a sign has just popped up saying im using premium ! am i paying for this ?

Strange, have you ever entered your payment details in Spotify or subscribed to premium? 

If you have recently logged in on a mobile device for the first time, such as a phone or tablet, then you are probably on a free 48 hour trial and your account will revert to free after it is over. You can also view your subscription status at any time by viewing your online overview.

Peter

Peter

i havent entered any payment details in

i have signed in on my mobile but ive only done that today less than 4 hours ago 😕 and i havent subscibed to anything

kelle234 - Don't worry, it's only a trial. Just to let you experience Spotify on your mobile. Your account will revert to free once it's over. If you haven't entered any payment details in, you're not going to get charged.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Suggested posts