Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Downgrade from Premium to Unlimited

Downgrade from Premium to Unlimited

I upgraded to Premium for a month due to doing lots of travelling and wanting the offline function, but I'd now like to downgrade back to Unlimited, but can't find the option anywhere? Only option I see is to go to free which I don't want to do.

Could anyone shed some light on how to change from Premium to Unlimited?

Cheers.

21 Replies

As far as I know, it's supposed to be possible from the Subscription page here, but the process appears to be a little different than I remember. Did you click "view your options" under "cancel your subscription" and get a list of reasons to choose from? I'm wondering if you have to choose a certain answer to be offered the choice of downgrading to unlimited instead of free.

Sorry, this is just speculation at the moment, but it will help to know what you've tried so far.

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I've tried a few yeah:

I'm not listening to enough music - "You've got two options - you can switch to Spotify Free, or stay with Premium. Before you make your mind up, here are our top tips to find music you'll love."

I'm trying to save money - "Before you hit that pesky Cancel button, we've got a mini quiz for you! What would you rather have each month?" Then it goes on to list various things like pizza & coffee to try and make premium look cheaper.

I don't understand the difference between Premium and Free - just gives a table of whats included in both.

Other reasons - Again shows the table.

On said table it doesn't have a column for Unlimited though 😞

All the other options I've tried clicking but none of them also show the option for unlimited.

This makes me think they have removed Unlimited from subscriptions - which if that's the case I'll deffo be cancelling and sourcing music elsewhere because I don't want to pay a tenner or listen to adverts 😞

Weird, I can't even find the unlimited option when I go to the new account page. Definitely something strange going on. I will check around and see if I can get any more info on this. Thanks for adding those details!

dinomightSpotify Star

Okay, try downgrading to free first. Then, click the upgrade button at the top of your account section. You should get the Unlimited option there. If it doesn't show up, you may need to wait until your premium has actually expired for the month.

dinomightSpotify Star

Just tried cancelling and now the only upgrade it allows me to do is to premium 😞

Okay, well I've passed this thread along and will try to get some more help for you on this.

dinomightSpotify Star

Thanks, I look forward to hearing back.

If your account has dropped to free and you are in a country where unlimited is available, you should be able to upgrade from this page:
https://www.spotify.com/purchase/product/unlimited/

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

That page just redirects to the Premium page. Is Unlimited seriously not an option in the UK any more? 😕

When they stopped actively promoting Unlimited it seemed a good bet that it was going to be phased out. Get in touch here and see what they say. If you get an automated response directing you back to the community or to the help pages, please reply to it to speed things along.

Just sent them an email so will see what reponse I get back, cheers guys.

Great - be interesting to hear what they say 🙂

Just a note, for my unlimited link on the previous page to work, your account needs to have already dropped to Spotify free after you cancel. When you cancel Spotify Premium, your account will remain on Premium for all of the remaining time you have paid for, so it normally involves waiting a bit for your account to finally drop to free again.

Peter

Hi there, I'd like to downgrade as well from premium to unlimited. But when I cancel my premium first & then change into free, I hope I won't loose all my playlists?

Cheers

W

Hi there, you won't lose any playlists when you change your subscription plan.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Last.fm | Twitter

Backstage Intro - Meet Jordi!
What's it like to be in a Spotify Office?

Did I help? Please add a like!
Did I solve your issue? Please accept as the solution!

I want to go back to Unlimited from Premium as well.

Has anyone done what is suggested and dropped back to free and been able to upgrade to Unlimited... without loosing their playlists?

Thank you.

yes, you can indeed downgrade from premium to free without losing playlists, however then you can't sign in to unlimited anymore (the 5€ solution)

too bad, really too bad

Yeah it looks like the option has been removed for the majority of users now, it appears to be a straight choice between Premium or Free (although my UK free account can still access the unlimited sign up page).

Peter

Wow...this would be a real bummer. I just updated to premium for one month due to travelling and taking some playlists offline with me.
And now I just want to go back to the 5 € subscription.
I regularly dont use most of the premium advantages to justify the extra 5 € over unlimited.
Mobile streaming isnt an option, as this would mean to pay another 10 bucks to T-Mobile for an extra "spotify flatrate" contract to be able to use it without being limited after a few hours of streaming. And a combined 20 € per month for the real Spotify experience is quite a number. 
I really wonder if silently removing the unlimited option is the way spotify treats its loyal customers, that just want to try out their premium version. 

Suggested posts