Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Family Account

Family Account

Is there any option to create some sort of family plan. I have 4 people in my family that use the mobile application, but we do want to be charged 4 seperate times a month for the premium service. Currently we are constantly getting the message that spotify has been paused because the account is used somewhere else. I would be willing to pay a little extra for this convience. Any thoughts?

61 Replies

Yup, got the family package 🙂 

I just started trying the service and didn't know you could only use one device at a time.  Unfortunately I don't see a family option available in Canada so this isn't for me.  Anyone know of a service that allows you to use more than one device at a time?

Beats music have family plans as far as I know.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I see Rdio does as well, testing that out now.  I don't think there is a Beats music for Android?

Spotify announced that they now supports family accounts. 

Ok, but I have a Premium account and my daughter have an Unlimited account today, and are paying the same price as I can get for a family account.

What do I have to do to get a family account and at the same time keep my existing play lists and my daughter keeping her play lists while she get her account converted and merged in to this family account?

I can't find a way to do this and I really don't know how to make this happen....

Would have been nice to go through a wizard just registering the account and do the merging ...

I'm already paying from the same account, so..... all there is to it, is to upgrade her account to premium and define us as a family... can it be that hard to make a solution for this 😮 ??

@odnegr - You need to cancel your daughter's unlimited account and wait for it to drop to Spotify Free. Once you have done that, you can set up the family plan on your account and invite her to it which will re-upgrade her account to Premium.

Peter

Ok, thanks.

She is using her account all the time and any interruption is not acceptable.

I know if I could attend to an solution, I would defenately find a better way, a way cutomer could handle smoothly. 

They know who she is and who I am, so I wonder, what's the fuzz really?

In the meantime, what about her playlists?

b.r. Odne

As long as you invite her existing account, then all of her content will move with it onto your new plan.

Peter

it is poorly implimited 

with no support and no way to add members

I have a Premium account and would like to upgrade to a Family Plan. There is no way to do this via my account. Truely. This is just profoundly silly. I have read elsewhere that I would need to cancel my account, WAIT until it reverts to a free account, THEN rejoin as a family account. You have got to be kidding. Spotify bots, help??

Hi there everyone,

My Dad wants to upgrade to Spotify family. But I'm leaving for Namibia in half a year and we don't know whether it will still work once I'm over there. Any idea anyone ?

@blackjack96 

A premium subscription allows you to play Spotify when you are traveling around the world with your account and an Internet connection.

But it has limits.

If you are traveling to Namibia, it should work for a short period of time (a few weeks to a month)

But if you are going to be living there for quite a while, then you will probably run into problems and error messages.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi there, I have just changed my premium account for a family account, but I'd like to add more people to it (now it has me and another person), is it possible to do without cancelling my actual premium subscription and reactivating it? I just looked everywhere with no lucky 😕

Thanks in advance.

🙂

@GuiCardozo 

From the family help guide:

https://support.spotify.com/learn-more/guides/#!/article/spotify-family

What if I want to add another subaccount to my plan?

The number of subaccounts (i.e. the number of people you can invite) that you selected during signup cannot be changed. You may however cancel the subscription – at which point all members of the plan revert to Free level subscriptions if the current billing month lapses. You would then sign up again, selecting the number of subaccounts you want. You may re-invite the people you want to keep on the plan.

If you need help,

I suggest you contact support

https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

If you get an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it.

Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

MattSudaSpotify Star

I'm a premium user and just subscribed to a family account. (me+1). In the process I've been asked for the payment details which seemed strange to me as you already have them.

I understand that this means I'm still a premium user but now on a family plan (which is not the same as being only premium) and will be billed only once according to the plan I've chosen, not twice (onc for the premium and one for the plan); correct?

What if I want to leave the family plan and still be a premium user? If I cancel the subscription my account will be still premium or it will be converted to free as it will occur with all the sub accounts?

Thanks

@faktor 

Check out the family help guide:

https://support.spotify.com/learn-more/guides/#!/article/spotify-family

You can also contact support if your question isn't answered,

https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

If you get an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it.

Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Hi, everyone! If I am a Premium user and I want to change to Spotify family, do I have to cancel my Premium subscription first in order to be able to become the Administrator of a Spotify Family account?

I read this is the case when you want to add more members to the Family account...

Thanks!!

I am needing to find this out as well. I have a premium acocunt by my husand and I want to cancel our individual premium accounts and do I family one. Do we lose eveyrthing we already have once we do the family? Do I need to cancel my premium and then add to family? So many questions and no clear explaination as to how to do this without losing everything we already have.

I just upgraded my account from a free to the Family Plan....but all I see is that my account got upgraded to Premium. I see nothing on my account management settings in regards to "Manage Your Spotify Family".

Any ideas?

Hi Roady_Man,

try this link:

https://www.spotify.com/en/family/overview/

There you can invite your Family-Members to Spotify-Premium.

Best Regards,

Michael 

Suggested posts