Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I find a friend on Spotify if I have their email address but they are not on Facebook?

Solved!

How do I find a friend on Spotify if I have their email address but they are not on Facebook?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey folks,

Here are a few suggestions made by members of the Community:

@Jude /@user-removed suggest asking your friend to send you a link to one of their playlists. When you open the link to the playlist, you will find a link to their profile.

@David suggests typing 'spotify:user:[username]' into the search bar on the desktop or mobile app.

Note: if your friend doesn't know their username, they can easily find it by following these steps.

Hope that helps! 

View solution in original post

139 Replies

If they have a Spotify account, you could locate them with their username, by using the following technique - 

Type the following code into the Spotify search bar - spotify:user:[username] (replacing [username] with their Spotify username), and you should be able to locate their account. For example, to find your account, type in spotify:user:chellievista and press enter, and your account will appear.

Airhorn Enthusiast

David - just to clarify, are you saying there is no way to find a user just based on their email address?

Allowing identification of users by email address would be a breach of privacy, unless each user specifically agreed to it.

Email your friend, and ask them to send you a link to one of their playlists.

"spotify:user: [username]" does not work. Why is this so difficult??? Im annoyed.

@ColdSummer wrote:

"spotify:user: [username]" does not work. Why is this so difficult??? Im annoyed.

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Do you get an error message? Are you sure you are searching with a dedicated Spotify username? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Yes I get an error message that says " Load user error"

I was having similar trouble adding one of my friends because he gave me the wrong username.  So I just typed out "spotify:user:godfreybk" in an email and told him to copy and paste into his search function.  It worked immediately.  So as long as you know your own username, I would suggest doing that.

This sounds like a pro feature. I would reccomend a better user friendly approach to adding friends or people you want to follow.

It's like the most basic feature I've always expected to find, but never found...

I use Spotify every day, and spotify:user:xxxxxxxxx ' is not working, has something to do with numbers and not with a name..!

Yeah, same here... I try to find a colleage of mine, but it just doesn't work! I don't know why it should be so complicated anyways...

@Amazon62 wrote:

Yeah, same here... I try to find a colleage of mine, but it just doesn't work! I don't know why it should be so complicated anyways...

Hey guys 🙂 

I have found the absolutely easiest way to find your friends is to get them to send you a playlist in an email or a Facebook message or something. Just get them to right click on any of their playlists, select "Copy HTTP link" and then paste that in a message to you. Once you get it, just click the link, it should open in Spotify when you press the play button on the page. You can then click your friends name in the client (on the playlist) and view their profile from there. 

Peter

Peter

Same old bug, where spotify isn't able to resolute usernames behind an ID. But since they don't care for this bug either for a very long time now, i guess their won't be a solution to this in the near furture.

I thought it was just me not being able to find my friends but obviously not. All I see is numbers for people. 

Doesn't this defeat the whole social sharing element that Spotify are about? 

@LoveIsAlliGot wrote:

I thought it was just me not being able to find my friends but obviously not. All I see is numbers for people. 

Doesn't this defeat the whole social sharing element that Spotify are about? 

You normally see account numbers for people if the Spotify client has been unable to retrieve their account information from Facebook. For me, it normally corrects itself within 24 hours or by forcing a log out and back into the client. Are you on a network on which Facebook is blocked?

Peter

Peter

I can no longer find friends who are on spotify and facebook... is there a "find friends on facebook" button or something?

@candyR wrote:

I can no longer find friends who are on spotify and facebook... is there a "find friends on facebook" button or something?

The Spotify client will offer you suggestions of who to follow from your Facebook friends in the Follow Tab, but there is no way to view them all like in the previous version. I have suggested this be changed here so you might want to add your kudos and comments there! 

You can also find people directly from Facebook if they are sharing tracks or playlists. 

Peter

Peter

Okay, so I don't have facebook and never will because that's not my thing. It seems to me that Spotify has bagged any real non-FB sharing as time goes on, making it more and more difficult to contact people. It it just me ? I have hard time fiding friends. Not everyone is on Facebook. I hate facebook. I don't want tot have a facebook account just to listen to and share music. Heck, next you know you'll have to have a facebook account to buy your grocieries !  

Hey pickibro! Welcome to the community 😄 

You can still find any of your friends if you know their usernames by searching for:

spotify:user:<username>

in the main search box in the desktop client with <username> replaced with your friends username. Once you have done that, you can follow their profile just like with Facebook friends. If your friends have accounts created using Facebook, their Spotify usernames will be a string of numbers which can be retrieved from their online accounts. 

Alternatively, an easy way to find your friends is to get them to send you a link to one of their playlists, either through Spotify or as a HTTP link (right click on a playlist) in an email. You can then click on their name in the playlist to find their profile. 

Peter

Peter

make sure there is no space in your search query

no space!

spotify:user:coldsummer

it works for me...

Suggested posts