Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New Canadian User - Can't subscribe

Solved!

New Canadian User - Can't subscribe

Hello,

I was just invited to join Spotify from Canada. I set up my account all fine, but when I go to start the free trial I get "Purchase is currently not available" for both Paypal and Credit Card. There was no note saying whether or not Canadians can subscribe yet, so I'm assuming this is a unexpected error.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Just got a tip from one of my Spotify friends.

Could you try the following:
- Make sure your post/ZIP code is entered all in CAPS on your online profile (make sure you press Save if you make any changes):
https://www.spotify.com/account/profile/
- Using firefox/chrome enter a private/incognito window then try and subscribe again.

Does that make any difference?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

LOL, Thanks so much. Switching the postal code to capitals worked for me!

Marked as solution

Experienced the same issue for three days, was finally able to subscribe a few minutes ago. Used Google Chrome browser in Incognito mode, entered postal code in lowercase without spaces, as advised by their support team.

Marked as solution

Hi CrossHarez,
Used Google Chrome browser in Incognito mode, entered postal code not in lowercase but without spaces.
I has worked !
Thank You CrossHarez

65 Replies

Here's an update for anyone who's interested. I contacted the Canadian support and this was their response:

"Hey there,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Currently we only have the free version of Spotify available in Canada, we can't say if or when Premium will be available just yet.

In the meantime if you need a hand with anything else please let us know.
Enjoy your music and have a lovely weekend!"

Kinda sad how long we have been waiting for Spotify in Canada and when it comes we can't even get the full experience. Well back to Rdio I go!

I was happy to get the invite to try Spotify. The first thing I wanted to try was comparing the sound quality to Rdio. Without access to Premium, I can't do that. Perhaps this doesn't matter to those who listen on an iPhone, but I prefer to play music through a DAC to my stereo.

Anyways, it's good to see that Canadian consumers are getting another choice.

Hey, sorry to hear about your disappointment.

Spotify is currently in a invite only testing state in Canada right now. 

When Spotify FULLY launches in Canada over the coming months, premium should then be available.

I don't know the full situation since I'm not in Canada, but try again when they fully launch if you are having problems.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

hmmm this doesn't sound right to me.

I just joined Spotify Canada today using my invite code and I was able to upgrade my account to Premium using my Paypal account. Its the free 30 day premium trial which is set to expire Sept 8th at which point it will start billing me. 

I can't upgrade with either credit card or PayPal - glad to see it isn't just me. I sent an email off to spotify support and was told to check to make sure my card is authorized for online payments (which it is), and to then try upgrading again. Still doesn't work.

I'm hoping this is just a minor bug and it will be sorted in the coming days. I'm more than willing to pay to upgrade but if Spotify isn't going to accept my $ it will be their loss.

Weird, I'm assuming your card is issued in Canada?

Peter

My credit card is definitely a Canadian issued credit card. Weird right?

Hey guys--which internet browser are you using when you try to make that payment? 

I tried used Safari and Chrome on OS X, neither allowed me to purchase premium.  I should note that https://www.spotify.com/ca-en/purchase/product/premium/ defaults to the 30 day free trial, perhaps that's the issue?

I'm sorry, but this makes absolutely no sense.

If this is an invite only thing, and it starts with a 7-day trial period of premium, how can premium not be available? You just gave it to us for the first week of starting an account. Clearly it's technically possible. We should be able to use our money to make an account proper.

If the payment tech hasn't been ported over to Canada yet, the please acknowledge this delay and do something about the fact that I've lost all my downloaded music because you won't take me money.

Marked as solution

Just got a tip from one of my Spotify friends.

Could you try the following:
- Make sure your post/ZIP code is entered all in CAPS on your online profile (make sure you press Save if you make any changes):
https://www.spotify.com/account/profile/
- Using firefox/chrome enter a private/incognito window then try and subscribe again.

Does that make any difference?

Peter

Marked as solution

LOL, Thanks so much. Switching the postal code to capitals worked for me!

Glad to hear it, all credit to @Adam behind the scenes for that suggestion! 🙂

Peter

Shazam! That worked. Let the Spotify/Rdio/Deezer shootout begin!

I can confirm that as a Canadian, I was able to upgrade to the 30 day trial.

HOWEVER, when I try to login to the desktop app or the mobile app it will not accept my password. My password works on the website, no issue. I've even tried changing the password a couple of times, doesn't help.

Not impressed right now.

I was able to upgrade as well once I entered the postal code in caps. Desktop client seems to work fine as well.

Hey folks, 

This should now be sorted for you all. If anyone is still having trouble upgrading (entering the zip code with lower case letters) please let us know here. 

@n8kw everything looks okay on your account. Are you entering your Spotify username every time (not your email)? 

Meredith, I can confirm that my access via the desktop and mobile app now works.

Strange, because it was definitely not working last night! Thanks for your reply.

I'm trying to upgrade to premium and I get an error after I submit that says: sorry, wrong password.  

I'm already logged in and have used my 7 days on premium. 

Thanks,

Josh

Suggested posts