Close
Festival VIP
cabd

On spotify unlimited and want to use Android...

Hi all.

Pondering getting an android tablet, not for use as a mobile device but largely to stream music across wireless network at home. Already got nifty gadgets in other rooms, but I haven't got anything like it for the kitchen, and I figure a relatively cheap tablet would do the job and double as one of those e-photo frames.

Only trouble is, even on my own network at home, as far as I can tell Spotify would treat it as a mobile device.

So short of moving up to Premium, or instead buying a laptop PC for the kitchen (which is clearly way more hardware than the job requires!) is there a way to get spotify unlimited to work on my own network on an Android device?

Cheers guys

Cab.

Festival VIP
cabd

Re: On spotify unlimited and want to use Android...

x BUMP X

Sorry to bump this up guys, but no one has a solution for playing spotify unlimited on an android device on my own wireless network, i.e. not as a mobile device?

Community Legend
licenced

Nope, you are right - a tablet will be treated as a mobile device and therefore require Premium to use. A cheap netbook running Windows wouldn't be too much more expensive though - especially if you went second-hand

----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence
Music Fan
malfogg

Re: On spottily unlimited and want to use Android...

NOT a satisfactory answer my friend, I too have similar gripe, Why should I have to pay twice as much to use a device just because the Spotify gang think it is a money spinner? I have been a satisfied customer and a promoter of Spotify until now. I bought a tablet, to use for various functions but not to use as a music player, anyway I am happy with my tablet, one time I was looking through the market place I found Spotify, so because I am already a customer I thought, 'good idea' then I found I needed a Premium account, whatever that maybe, seeing as my account is 'Spotify Unlimited' do you guys not understand the meaning of UNLIMITED? 

I feel very aggrieved about the whole thing, I do not wish to use my tablet whilst walking around, nor whilst driving around, I tend not to listen to music whilst I am walking and I have a radio/CD/mp3 in my car, and to add insult neither my phone or my tablet will connect to a mobile network in my home, but that is okay, but I use my tablet via my wireless network so why not use Spotify, because they are not trust worthy, and are only in it for the money. 

As you may think so what, I hope that more people have their eyes opened to this misleading and wrong system, were unlimited is limited and premium is a rip-off!! I would not object to upgrading my account if by a reasonable amount but to double the amount is out of order, and quite frankly it is making me thing twice about allowing my unlimited account to continue.

And as for your comment that a laptop will do the job just fine, He has already bought a Tablet !!!!! Why should he have to go and buy another device because of the grasping and greedy behavior of Spotify!

Very disgusted, and may even speak to legal people about the use of UNLIMITED

Mal

Community Legend
licenced

No need to have a go at me - just stating the facts as they exist. If you look at the Spotify website and T&Cs they very very clearly state that unlimited means you can stream an unlimited number of tracks - in opposition to the limited number you get with a free account. Premium accounts enable playing on mobile devices - the fact that you might not use your mobile device in a mobile capacity doesn't make it a non-mobile device.

If you read the OP properly you'll see he has not already got a tablet, he is 'pondering' getting one, so my suggestion is not as ridiculous after all.

Feel free to take up the UNLIMITED discussion with your legal team. While you're at it perhaps you could mentioned the unlimited deals that ISPs and mobile broadband providers advertise - I'm sure you can between you set the world to rights and make it better for all of us.

----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence
Festival VIP
cabd

No immediate way of doing it then, which is a shame! Cheers for the answer though :)

If anyone from Spotify is reading this, please sort it out! I want to use a tablet on my home network for spotify Unlimited, I pay for that already, what should it matter to you what device I use on my own network? I'm sure there is a way you can sort this out.

The idea of a netbook is interesting but they've a tendency to run a but hotter and the advice I've had is that they're not really suitable for such longer-use as, say, using them as a photo-frame (which is another reason for getting a tablet).

I wonder whether there is a Windows emulator that could run on an Android tablet, and whether that would be a useful workaround?

Music Fan
obiwankebino

I'm a Spotify Unlimited user and, for a number of reasons, I'm only using a tablet at home and not a laptop/desktop. I love Spotify, but now I can't use it at home, which is very disappointing and unfair from a great company like Spotify.
I don't see any reason why a tablet and a laptop should be considered in a different way.
Tablets are becoming increasingly popular and a lot of families don't really need a computer when they can do everything they need with a tablet.

Moreover a lot of people I know would love to plug their iPod (a WiFi device) to their hifi system and play music from Spotify.

@ licensed: May I suggest a couple of solutions if you're in touch with the Spotify team? I appreciate they have to encourage users to subscribe to Premium, so they should find different selling points to focus on (offline playlists are great! In addition to that I would also consider other advantages for Premium users, maybe a recommendation mechanism to discover new music, or make the Facebook feature accessible for premium users only)
Another solution might be to ask the developers to alter the app so that it runs a check on the device allowing Unlimited users to access streaming music only if their device is a WiFi only / non 3G device.
Thanks for your kind feedback
Gold Streaming Artist
hpguru

This is good idea, someone need to share this at Idea forum.

Spotify for music listening, user since April 2009. Netflix for movie watching, user since July 2013. 100M/5M cable modem and 21M/5M mobile network. Pimp your life with streaming everywhere!
Announcements
Win free Premium
We're fans of music around here. And amazing animated GIFs.
So, for our next competition we're combining the two.

Join our new contest here.

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.