Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Pay with PayPal without Creditcard

Pay with PayPal without Creditcard

Hi,

i'm glad to see that Spotify is now avaible in Germany.

I would like to use the Premium Membership, but if i try to pay with PayPal i still need

a credit card.

Why is it not possible to use PayPal without a credit card, but with a "normal" bank account?

89 Replies

Peter, my bank account should be more then enough as proof that I live in the country I live in. 

@inTOWN wrote:

Peter, my bank account should be more then enough as proof that I live in the country I live in. 

Funny side note: It is no problem at all to register a Paypal account in a country of your choice, give a random address (hotel, friend or whatever) and add a credit card. And guess what, any credit card will do. No matter where it's issued.  As long as it's not linked to another Paypal account, but there are plenty of free prepaid cards out there that will gladly serve as a backup here (and plenty of people owning more than one card, too:) Yes, it requires to enter a billing address. No, keeping the wrong country there (unchangeable) never mattered. 

However, it is not quite as easy to add a bank account from another country (read: not possible) - they won't even accept the new European Standard IBAN/BIC. 

So these requirements don't make sense at all. Unless, of course, that's what's written in Spotify's contracts with the music industry. Music industry? Contracts? Wow. Actually, now it totally makes sense. 

By the way, Neteller is one of the companies that will give you a free prepaid card (which can be loaded for free as well). Entropay is another, but loading isn't free plus they won't show you the card number before you put at least a cent on it. 

Feel free to suggest other companies, I don't mean to promote any of them - it's just the ones I know. It's quite a lot of hoops to jump through ... is Spotify worth it? ....

And I am another user living in Germany who doesn't own (and won't get) a creditcard (or debitcard with internet functionality).

I have Paypal, I am using Paypal through my bank account to pay for all sorts of things, and guess what.

I cannot pay for Spotify. Too bad. You seriously need to fix this.

Iolo - In Germany you can also pay with Klarna or Sofort, have you tried either of these at all?
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

I actually don't see the option 'Sofort'. I can choose between: VISA/MasterCard, AmEx, Paypal and Klarna. Other options are not listed.

Btw. I won't use Klarna. I don't want to register with ever more payment services. I have Paypal and ClickandBuy.

These suffice for 99% of the sites I am using. Why not for Spotify as well?

For some reason Spotify does not seem to need our money.

I had a subscription for premium via my ISP Bredbandsbolaget.

Since this method of paying no longer is available I have tried to pay via paypal.

I have money in my paypal account,I have via my previous business with Spotify proven that I live in Sweden.

Strange way of doing business to refuse payment.

@larsbus wrote:

Since this method of paying no longer is available I have tried to pay via paypal.

I have money in my paypal account,I have via my previous business with Spotify proven that I live in Sweden.

Strange way of doing business to refuse payment.

I'd suspect their contracts with The Industry say something like "bla ... verification of location ... this and that ... and Paypal needs creditcard". Probably the suits who wrote the contracts just assumed anyone in any country worth doing business with would have a credti card, or simply never heard of linking Paypal to a bank account ... 

After all, the whole country and licensing limitations aren't exactly helping Spotify's business ... 

So they should do something about it! That's the reason for all the posts on this thread:

People __expect__ Spotify to change their policy.

It's simple. If enough people ask for a feature they will (have to) deliver.

Hmm I'm using Paypal in Germany just fine with Spotify.

With link directly to your bank account you mean that you don't have money on your actual paypal account and it goes directly through your bank account with Paypal just linked in between? Indeed never heard of that option, that's quite interesting.

But wouldn't it be possible to transfer a small amount of money to your paypal account so Spotify can get it from there? (that's how it works for me - also no credit card)

Or did I understand something wrong here? Sorry if I ask stupid questions, just registered for Paypal a couple months ago. 😉

Strange that you can use paypal to pay for spotify without a credit card linked to paypal.

This is not possible for me in Sweden

No credit card indeed.

But my bank account also came with a debit card, maybe that's the trick?

Although I thought that if you open a bank account you most likely get a debit card anyway.

Also at my Paypal registration I did not have to register this card specifically, just my bank account info.

Had this discussion also with hammeh a few days ago, didn't really get to a solution either. It's kinda weird...

Did you link your debit card to get verified?

Is your status verified at paypal?

My previous investigations into this have ended with the conclusion from Spotify staff that PayPal does require a linked credit/debit card in order to be used by Spotify. However, that does not agree with the PayPal information on the main website which only details your account needs to be verified. So I really don't know, I reported both sides and asked for a clarification, and got neither at the time! 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

@Iarsbus

Yes, my Paypal account is verified.

But as I've said I just entered the bank account information when I registered for PayPal.

My debit card has the same information as my bank account (account number, bank code, names).

Only additional information on my debit card is the card number, and I'm 100% sure that I did not enter this number at PayPal.

You need to get your paypal verified for Spotify. The 30 days trial works without a verified account since you don't really have to pay anything but after that it has to be verified.

On the paypal website there is an option to verify your account. When you click this, PayPal will send you a few cents on your bank account. You have to check this transaction online or on your bank statement: It contains a code of 4 numbers which you have to enter at your PayPal site. After this it's verified. The transaction of PayPal might take some days.

i'm also from the netherlands.. same problem here. verified paypal account, linked to bank account and it's still asking me for a creditcard.

I just checked over at Rdio.com, and you don't need a credit card there.. Guess i'm ready to switch services

Same problem here. Created a PayPal account just for Spotify and still can't get Spotify Premium because I don't have a credit card...

Hi, I live also in Holland and found the same problems with the creditcard (PayPal). But I buy now ecards from the Albert Heijn, Kruidvat or Bruna (€10,- or €30,-). So I can use Spotify Premium without a creditcard. 

Man, I was really looking forward to get the Spotify-Premium account. Just for this purpose, I created a Paypal account and transfered some money via my Bank. Now I feel pretty mocked about the fact it does not allow me to get the account just because I don't have a credit card! Spotify, please enable this!!! If you allow Paypal then also allow paying without credit card, because Paypal is just for the purpose not to abandon one's credit card information!!!

It's same in Poland - I have PayPal account, it's registered and verified but not linked to any credit card, so I can't open a premium subscription. IMHO stupidity... I have used Last.fm before they have changed their accessiblity policy and there were no problem to buy one month subcription using paypal account without credit card...

Spotify - if You do not want my money, I'm not going to give it to You. I'll find someone else how will take it 😉

btw. I'ts a not 100% truth to say, in your advertisement, that using your premium service is easy... I'ts not, it does require credit card which is difficult to get by younger (around 18years old) listeners, olthough they have their own money and are able to have paypal account...

anyway, I'll try deezer.com - they also have paypal...

Suggested posts