Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Concert Regular
trmoney24
Accepted Solution

Playback on multiple devices at the same time?

I noticed that when I start playing a song on my phone, and then start playing a song on my desktop or iPad, the music will cut off on the previous device. Is there a subscription offering that lets you play on multiple devices at the same time?

Peter
Kudos: 11,911
Solutions: 3,268
I'm a Community Rock Star

Re: Playback on multiple devices at the same time?

Hey! Welcome to the community :)

There is no subscription like that.

Spotify is only licensed to sell 'personal' subscriptions which means you can only stream on one device at a time. If you have premium you can sync playlists offline and then force them into offline mode. That will allow you to play music on more than one device at a time, but you can only ever have one active streaming device.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Yoda and Bug Whisperer

Spotify Last.FM Twitter Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Concert Regular
trmoney24

Thank you! Now this makes more sense to me about the offline playing ability.

Gig Goer
Roper1592

Hi,

I'm new to Spotify [3 weeks] and I was looking through the forums for an answer to similar to this point.

This has partly answered my question, but not entirely.

I have a premium account and use my PC, my iPhone and my iPad to listen to stream music. However, I only use my iPhone for offline content. My girlfriend also uses her iPhone on my account and uses it for both streaming and offline content.

Yesterday, I was at home listening to a playlist on my iPhone and she was trying to listen to the same playlist in her car. We kept cutting each other off. As far as I was aware - we both had that playlist set for "available offline" but it still kept cutting the other person off.

In the end, she had to turn 3G off on her phone and this seemed to sort the problem - which makes me think we HAVENT got it available offline? Is this right?
However, on the playlist, there are green coloured download arrows next to the tracks in this playlist which I thought was a suggestion that it was correctly downloaded for offline use?

Any help or pointers would be great.

Roper

Sam

Roper - If you're both offline, you shouldn't interrupt each other. Make sure to set them to 'Offline' in 'Settings'.

It's also worth mentioning that Spotify is for personal use only, this is a little naughty.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?
Gig Goer
Roper1592

Thank you. Both show the playlist as available offline - so I have no idea why its cutting each of us off.

I thought if my girlfriend and I both live at the same address, and therefore use the same computer then offering it on 3 devices would suggest that it would possibly be both of us using it. Otherwise, it'd be like the Sky TV app saying that although we both subscribe to Sky in our house - only one of us could use the app.

Concert Regular
trmoney24

Roper, you have to be in "offline mode", which is different then having a playlist that is available offline. as suggested above, go to MORE, SETTINGS, PLAYBACK, then turn ON "OFFLINE MODE". Then you will have no playback inturruptions and her phone can still stay on 3G.

Gig Goer
Roper1592

Many thanks for your help with this. That has resolved the problem for me.

Can I just ask...........

Now I am offline, and I am happily listening to my playlist - there are 4/5 tracks that I can't play and they are "greyed out". Any idea why that would be?

Thanks.

Concert Regular
trmoney24

no clue there. hopefully one of the spotify moderators can help ya with that.

Peter
Kudos: 11,911
Solutions: 3,268
I'm a Community Rock Star

Roper1592 wrote:

Many thanks for your help with this. That has resolved the problem for me.

Can I just ask...........

Now I am offline, and I am happily listening to my playlist - there are 4/5 tracks that I can't play and they are "greyed out". Any idea why that would be?

Thanks.

Hey :) 

There are 2 possibilities there:

1. The tracks did not sync correctly when you where last online. Going online again should correct that.

2. If those tracks that are greyed out are actually stored on your computer's hard drive, then you need to connect your phone and your computer to the same WiFi network so the two Spotify clients can sync the local files ;)

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Yoda and Bug Whisperer

Spotify Last.FM Twitter Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.