Help - Accounts and Subscriptions

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Music Fan
PacoDos
Accepted Solution

Premium vs. Unlimited vs. Free

I'm having a hard time figuring out the difference between Premium, Unlimited and Free access.  I currently have the Premium because that was the only option available when I signed up to play Spotify on my mobile phone.  If I downgrade can I still access all the same content on my mobile phone?  Streaming my own selection of music or am I limited to just the radio feature of Spotify (on either unlimited or free)?

Thanks for the help!

Spotify Legend
Jude

Re: Premium vs. Unlimited vs. Free

Hi PacoDos,

There is a comparison table here.

Mobile streaming access is only licensed for Spotify Premium, so you won't be able to stream or offline sync on your mobile with Spotify Unlimited.

In the US, we do offer ad-supported free radio in the mobile app if you have an iOS 5 device (Android will hopefully be added soon).

Liam
Topics: 144
Kudos: 1,593
Ideas: 16
Solutions: 448

PacoDos wrote:

I'm having a hard time figuring out the difference between Premium, Unlimited and Free access.  I currently have the Premium because that was the only option available when I signed up to play Spotify on my mobile phone.  If I downgrade can I still access all the same content on my mobile phone?  Streaming my own selection of music or am I limited to just the radio feature of Spotify (on either unlimited or free)?

Thanks for the help!

Hi :)

Free = 10 hour limit a month and loads of unrelated adverts

Unlimited = Unlimited streaming with no adverts :)

Premium = Everything, including mobile playback :)

So, if you want to keep your mobile playback - stick with premium :)

Concert Regular
Panrec

We have a macbook in the living room and an iPod touch in the kitchen, but there is no fundamental diffrence in our use of the music.

Can anyone explain why it's twice as expensive to stream music from Spotify on my iPod touch than it is on my laptop?

Peter
Kudos: 12,770
Solutions: 3,489

Panrec wrote:

We have a macbook in the living room and an iPod touch in the kitchen, but there is no fundamental diffrence in our use of the music.

Can anyone explain why it's twice as expensive to stream music from Spotify on my iPod touch than it is on my laptop?

Hey! Welcome to the community :) 

That is just how the system is set up. Using Spotify on any mobile device requires a premium subscription. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Concert Regular
Panrec

RE: That is just how the system is set up. Using Spotify on any mobile device requires a premium subscription. 

That's not actually an answer to my question. I know that already, but I would like to know why?

Anyway, we shall not be using Spotify in the kitchen unless it is the same price as the living room or I receive some very convincing explanation as to why using Spotify on an iPod touch should cost twice as much.

Spotify
David

Using Spotify Premium opens up a number of other things you can do with the service. On the free version of Spotify, you would be able to use it on your desktop with the odd advert and some time restrictions (depending on your location, and how long you've had the account) on listening to tracks.

With Premium, you have no adverts. No time limit. You also have the ability to sync playlists offline to take with you on the go. For example, just made a playlist that's perfect for the gym? Sync it to your iPod Touch, plug in your headphones and hit play. In addition, you have the ability to play higher quality tracks (around 320kbps) on both your Desktop and iPod Touch devices. 

-----
Spotify
Concert Regular
Panrec

I use unlimited, this is enough for me. I would simply like to use the same account on the iPod Touch in our kitchen. No point trying to upsel me Premium unless you are going to pay for it ;-)

Music Fan
die_erbse77

If I pay for unlimited, will that remove the ads when I log in via my iPad as well? 

It's a wifi only iPad and I only want to be able to use Spotify at home, not on the go. Whare are my options..? 

Cheers,

Juilan

World Tour
Marco

Hey Julian!

I'm afraid you can only access your iPad with a Premium account, no matter how you intend to use it.

The reason for this is: every device that runs with iOS is considered as a mobile device and therefore needs a Premium account to be used.

Announcements
Rock Star Program
Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.

Beta test Spotify for iOS
Hi there.
Would you like a chance to beta test upcoming versions of Spotify for iOS? If the answer is a resounding "yes!" then please click here to read more.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.