Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Question regarding offline syncing to devices

Question regarding offline syncing to devices

Hello,

I purchased a premium account about a year ago, and recently I was planning on syncing a good 20,000 songs to my new Android device. But when I got to the 3,333 limit I recieved a warning, and was unable to sync any further songs until I un-downloaded one of my playlists to free up more room...

This is all fine and good, and makes sense (I guess), but my question is this:

When I un-download a playlist, does it still save that cached data to my device so if I want to d-load again in the future (after removing a different playlist), will it instantly sync all of thos songs? Or do I have have to actually clear out my cache to free up more space? I just bought a 64 gig SD card for my device specifically for music storage, but I've barely used 15 Gigs, and now I have to start being more selective about what I sync for offline use.

Either way, I can deal with it (I can always just import my own MP3's instead for some of thes eplaylists), but it would be a lot easier to manage if I know that all of songs are still cached, and easily retrievable for offline listening.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

2 Replies

Hey @DJ_FACT50 🙂 

The application intelligently caches data it thinks you might need again to save on bandwidth, so after you undownload a playlist it will remain on your device for a period of time before being removed.

Unfortunately, it is incredibly hard to predict this behaviour, and you will most likely find you will need to redownload content if you want to swap playlists. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Thanks a lot for the quick answer! Ok so I guess the smartest thing for me to do would be to only sync the songs I don't already have in hard copy on my HD. That's not too bad, I can still hold 50 something gigs of mp3's which is tons of music for a single device.

Suggested posts