Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Songs Not Available?

Songs Not Available?

Hello.  I am unsure why some songs are unavailble?  I'm paying for the Premium.  There are some songs, for example Sunglasses At Night by Corey Hard, that are only SOMETIMES available.  Happened with a lot of MJ's songs too.  Songs will be playable, I'll add them to my favorites and/or playlist, and then a week later they aren't playable!  Then if I wait another week suddenly I can again.  I have internet and can play the others streamed but these songs I can't.  Is this because a license is currently being renewed?  Or what is going on?  And so many of Eminem's best songs aren't added, I'm guessing because Spotify is too cheap to buy rights to stream them?  Or what is this reason?  Can I do something?  You guys say I can play it if I add it from my local files but I'm paying to have these songs!  Not to have to buy them elsewhere!  if this is the case, give premium members some credits per month to buy songs not available, so many per pay period maybe?  It's just ridiculous how some songs go on and off and others are just not available period from the same CD.  Let me know if there's anything I can do or if I just have to 'deal' with it?

36 Replies

Like you have said in your post, it's mostly aboutt the licenses unfortunately it's also down to the record labels to provide the data, this includes the information about the track and the track itself.

There are a number of reasons for a track to disappear and reappear for instance a label wanting to upload a different version, or a change in track information.

As for your premium, you pay for access to the catelogue you don't pay to guarantee to have your specific music in the catelogue.

You can however make the record labels aware that you feel streaming is the way forward and carry on showing your support, not only does this help yourself but will encourage others to follow.

Makes sense, didn't think about everything else too.  Thanks for taking your time to answer my question.

-Chris

I just bought me a 10 euro card to download michal grimms country roots 1 cd all looked fine and suddenly i get the message the songs you wanted to download arent available, shouldnt there be a warning so people know what albums are and what arent available ? now  i wasted 10 euro for nothing there goes my xmas present to myself the only album i dont have from michael grimm 😞

Did the tracks have the "Get" button inside the Spotify client? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

the songs all had a music note behind them i clicked on them and looked like they where downloading when it was done i got the message  not available

Chris,

I agree with your point of view. I oay a monthly fee to listen to music NOT be deprived of music. Is SPOTIFY a new economy model or is it an OLD ECONOMY model. I couldn't give a doohikie about the record companies, they need to decide whether they are into the new economy or not. If I am deprived of my playlist when I have paid for it, it regard that as a breach of contract in tort, no contract Spotify has with me can be equitable when this occurs. Spotify take note you are liable in this situation no matter what your t&C's say - it called equity.

@awilso wrote:

Chris,

I agree with your point of view. I oay a monthly fee to listen to music NOT be deprived of music. Is SPOTIFY a new economy model or is it an OLD ECONOMY model. I couldn't give a doohikie about the record companies, they need to decide whether they are into the new economy or not. If I am deprived of my playlist when I have paid for it, it regard that as a breach of contract in tort, no contract Spotify has with me can be equitable when this occurs. Spotify take note you are liable in this situation no matter what your t&C's say - it called equity.

Have you actually read the T&C's? 

How can it be equity if you don't "own" any of the content? You pay to license the content from Spotify, so you never "own" it. When a TV channel you pay for cancels your favourite show, would you feel the same way?

Peter

Peter

why do songs play on my pc but not on my mobile? Is there a solution?

yeah what he said!!!

Hi all,

is this license issue the same why of some artist there are only a few songs available?

E.g. Chris Rea has far more songs than available. Are the licenses spread so much that maybe more than one label has the power to supply the whole collection? I had the same concern for another artist but forgot who it was...

Thanks for replys!

Cheers

hein

Yes @hammerhain The publishers decide what content they want to make available on a country by country basis. There's a bit more information on this in the music FAQ.

Ive been using spotify premium for about 6 months and lately I have been getting more and more annoyed at the lack of songs I want to listen to.

I understand that many songs are not available due to licence holders opting out due to not being paid enough money or being able to make more money by selling at $2.50 a song on itunes.

What I dont understand is why Spotify doesnt charge more for the premium service.  I would happily pay 4 times the amount I currently pay for premium if it meant I could add the artists I want.

Unfortunately i'm going to have to ditch Spotify Premium if I cant get lots of the songs I want.. which sux as I LOVED Spotify until recently!

@nathansplatty - They can't charge more, that would make it more expensive than all other streaming services (and loads of people would leave) and despite what people say the majority of them really don't care about artists getting paid fairly they just want it to be cheap.

Peter

I just encountered one of these as well for an artists Banda Magda. What's interesting is that both Pandora Radio and Google Music have no problem playing this artist, however, they disappeared from Spotify for a couple of weeks now. Is there an official explanation from Spotify about this or should I really consider switching to Google Music instead?

The official explanations about missing music have been collected in this post.

can you add this song to spotify 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spf1bvMQAsU

Hi guys im very new to spotify and am encountering a issue so im going to post my issue here because for the life of me i cannot find how to post a new topic on this forum...anyway down to business

i have spotify on both my android and my desktop and im not a premium user, i have spotify on both my android phone and my windows pc the problem is if i play a specefic song on the desktop version of spotify say for example stay with me by sam smith off of spotify`s top 100 tracks playlisti following it and it syncs to the android app now if i open the android app and go to that playlist 1. the songs are all grey out and when i select a song it says "do you want to start the radio" and says only premium users can stream on demand on mobile but that songs plays fine on the desktop version.

2. it plays a similare alternative but not the actual song that i want to listen to

so do i have to be a premuim user in order to listen to the same songs on the androi d app as i do on the desktop version?

Hello @sheldore69!

Yes, you need to be a premium member to stream on demand on mobile devices (shuffle play is free though!). Here is a good comparison chart of the differences 🙂  

Hope this helped 🙂

Don't forget to add your Kudos and mark as a solution if it helped you!

Follow me on Twitter

Whats a Spotify Rock Star?

then why is there a difference between the desktop and android app? surely what applies to the android app would apply to the desktop version?

Suggested posts