Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Album Download

Solved!

Spotify Album Download

Hello,

Can someone please tell me why as a Premium Subscription customer I cannot download any music in the Spotify Catalog?

Update - I seem to have had a lapse of memory and forgot I needed to copy to a Playlist first.  I was using MOG which does not work this way....

Thanks, Phil

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

No problem. I'm glad you figured it out. 😃

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Spotify has offline mode as well. You can use this to download tracks for offline use. 

If you are using the desktop client or mobile apps, make sure to make the playlist available offline. It's very easy.

http://www.spotify.com/us/about/features/offline-mode/

MattSudaSpotify Star
Marked as solution

No problem. I'm glad you figured it out. 😃

MattSudaSpotify Star

So just to check - people who use the free version of Spotify cannot download tracks or albums as MP3s - even if they are willing to pay for them? I'm sure Spotify Free used to allow this ... I know Spotify is primarily a streaming service ... but you're missing a revenue stream here for mobile/iPhone users to don't want to pay a streaming subscription but are happy to buy tracks or albums for offline/local storage and playback through free spotify on iPhone.

Or have I got it wrong and there is a way to buy and download tracks with Spotify Free?

@jimdennison wrote:

So just to check - people who use the free version of Spotify cannot download tracks or albums as MP3s - even if they are willing to pay for them? I'm sure Spotify Free used to allow this ... I know Spotify is primarily a streaming service ... but you're missing a revenue stream here for mobile/iPhone users to don't want to pay a streaming subscription but are happy to buy tracks or albums for offline/local storage and playback through free spotify on iPhone.

Or have I got it wrong and there is a way to buy and download tracks with Spotify Free?

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

You are correct, Spotify do not currently offer track downloads. The old download store system has been removed from Spotify in all countries as they aim to focus more on streaming. If you want downloads, you will need to find another source I'm afraid! 

There is a help page about these changes here and an Ideas topic requesting its return if you want to add your voice here

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Yes in my case the offlline mode is useful because I don't always have good wireless internet access (or it's 3G rather than WiFi which drains the battery and uses up monthly Mbs limits on my mobile access contract). I'd be happy to go to Premium if it wasn't so expensive - i think the £10.00 per month (here in the UK) is rather steep.

On a seperate topic around pricing though - I might find it easier to swallow if the Premium service had an option for 'pay as you go', some kind of micro-payment system where you pay a small sum per listen, rather than a fixed monthly fee - for the less heavy users of the system.

Right now Google Play is looking more and more attractive ...

Suggested posts