Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Thinks I'm in the Wrong Country

Solved!

Spotify Thinks I'm in the Wrong Country

Hi,

I'll et straight to the point.

I'm quite annoyed as I have had to make 3 spotify accounts already because of this problem. Spotify seems to think that I'm Sweden when in reality I'm actually in Australia. Twice now I have not been able to listen to music because spotify blocks the use of music when I'm in the wrong country, obviously it thinks I'm in from Sweden but in Australia but the strange thing is that when I go to my account preferences to change my country to Asutralia because it automatically sets me as in Sweden it won't let me. Apparently I have a Swedish IP when I live in Australia...

This is becoming extremely annoying as I now have 3 accounts and only 1 works, however it still thinks I'm in sweden.

Regards, Marcus

212 Replies

Hi! Same problem as mentioned above. Spotify seems to detect that i am in Australia but I am in the Philippines.. I cannot login using facebook as well..Thanks in advance for the help!

What countries does this page think you guys are in?
http://www.maxmind.com/en/locate_my_ip

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I just used the link above to find out where my IP address is coming from - it says Sydney, Australia.

In my Spotify profile, my country is set as Australia.

Yet I am still getting an error message telling me "Your country does not match the one set in your profile".

Can you please help

It is worth re-installing the app too:
http://support.spotify.com/learn-more/faq/#!/article/reinstallation-of-spotify

Peter

Followed the steps to re-install spotify and it is still not working...

@diamond_kgs - In that case I think Spotify support are going to need to look a little closer. You can get in touch with them easily via Twitter: @SpotifyCares.

You can also get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form and they will be able to lend a hand by email. 

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Peter

Same problem for me. Spotify says I´m an USA citizen but I am German and I have never been in America before. Your GeoIP link correctly locates me as being German. Even starting Spotify by using a German proxy does not work. Loading time for my profile site is extremely long, too. It needs over one minute to be loaded correctly. Really strange...

I have the same problem. For some reason, Spotify says that I am in Germany, and when I try to 'uptade my profile' as they suggest in the message ('your country does not match the one set in your profile, to continue use update your profile..') I can only choose between 2 countries: USA or Germany, and I am in the Netherlands, so this makes no sense. Can someone please help me? 

Thank you! 

I have the same problem. For some reason, Spotify thinks that I am in Germany, and when I try to update my profile, as suggested, I can only choose between USA or Germany, and I am in the Netherlands (that does not appear as an option), can someone please help me? 

Thank you 

Looks like the IP address system is seriously broken...

If you are still having issues, best thing to do is to get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form and they will be make the changes manually for you. 

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Alternatively, if you prefer support via Twitter, please tweet @SpotifyCares.

Peter

Hi, my profile shows me as being in Sweden. I currently reside in South Africa and from what I've heard, we can now use Spotify here too.. I previously lived in the UK and in the Netherlands, but if I remember correctly, I started my account in the UK. I can't listen to my Spotify now, as it won't allow it because my country settings are incorrect. Can you please tend to the matter?

@user-removed - Unfortunately Spotify is not yet available in South Africa, so you won't be able to use the free service for more than 14 days there. If you have a payment method registered in another country where Spotify is available, then you can use that to subscribe to Premium as a customer in that country which gives you unlimited abroad access.

Peter

Hello,

I have also exactly the same problem for 3 weeks. I live in Germany, but my Spotify is suddenly set to Switzerland. I cannot change that and I am at home, have not been to Switzerland lately. 

Can someone please change that for me? I am annoyed!!! 

Thanks!

@danimabo - The country on Spotify Free accounts is normally set by your IP address, is it possible you are connecting from an IP which locates to Switzerland? Check here:

Peter

I am also having the same problelm. I am in Canada but listed as from USA. I have tried various times to change this in my profile, but am not allowed to. Some help would be greatly appreciated as I love Spotify!!

@wolfettechick - Does trying to make the change in a private/incognito window of your browser make any difference?
https://www.spotify.com/account/profile/

Does your IP address definitely locate to Canada here?

Peter

Hi, No, I can't change the country in my profile, and yes on MaxMind I show as Manitoba Canada.

Thx

Spoiler

Hey I have the same problem spotify thinks I'm in Sweden which is annoying as I only studied Danish for one year so reading is a bit difficult. Can you please switch my country back to UK thanks!!!!!!!!

My Spotify won't let me log on because I am apparently in a different country. Fix this please or I won't be able to use Spotify.

@caitlinpm 

I suggest you contact support so they can help you

https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

If you get an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it.

Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts