Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify thinks I'm abroad, when I'm not

Solved!

Spotify thinks I'm abroad, when I'm not

I used spotify in the US, then studied abroad in Australia for 5 months. I couldn't use it there, but halfway through Australia got spotify. I had to change my country to use spotify there. Now that I'm back in the US, I had to change my country again. But now spotify says "Your account can no longer be used from abroad, since the maximum travel time is 14 days for a Spotify Free account. To continue using Spotify from abroad, sign up for Spotify Premium which gives you unlimited travel access." But I'm not longer abroad, and would like to go back to using Spotify Free.

419 Replies

Emmanuel-raj -  Have you tried changing the country in your account from here at all?

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

The Country shows as United Kingdon where I reside.

Hi,  Now it started working. Thanks

I am having the same problem ever since we moved to our downtown office. I am located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. However our internet is all through our Toronto office. I assure you I have never been to Toronto! I can log in at home on my computer no problem. My facebook says I am in the states, which is what I use to log into spotify. 

Is there any way to fix this? 

Elektroangel - You're allowed a 14 day 'holiday period' with the free service. So, as long as you log in at home once every 14 days, your Spotify should work ok.
-------

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

I will try logging in tonight form home and see if it works here then tomorrow. Thanks!

Hi Meredith,

I'm in the US, but it says that I'm abroad and my account is blocked.

I use a VPN so I can get accurate stats for my job, so maybe that is confusing the spotify app.

Can you please fix this ?

Thanks so much!!!

mlui - If you log in from a US internet connection at least once every 14 days, your Spotify should work like normal. You're allowed 14 days 'travel period' with a free account, so simply logging on at home should sort it.
-------

Who's your Spotify Star?

Hi Spotify, I didn't realize that there was this 14 day thing.  In any event, I'm American and I traveled to my home country from the Netherlands were I'd been living for a while.  From the States I went to St. Maarten (the Netherlands Antilles, in the Caribbean) where I know live.  I would like to change my country to St. Maarten, but it won't allow me to.  In addition, I am not particularly interested in upgrading because I don't use spotify so much.  Indeed internet is so spotty on the island that I will likely have only intermittent access to Spotify.  Please help!  Thank you!

I've just tried changing the country for you, let us know if it helps.
-------

Who's your Spotify Star?

Hi  I used Spotify  in the  UK for many  months.  I went to France during Christmas for a few days, and now back in the UK  spotify says that  I cannot listen to tracks as I have "reached my maximum  amount of play  for this track" !  But I'm based in the UK  and I would not have this limit I think once back in the UK (it should only apply to France, right ? )

My profile says that I'm in  UK  and that is right. I cannot change it anyway as the drop down box is greyed out.

How do I recover the tracks that are now disabled?  I've tried uninstalling spotify and re-installing it with no success.

Please help. 😉

thank you

@patdant wrote:

Hi  I used Spotify  in the  UK for many  months.  I went to France during Christmas for a few days, and now back in the UK  spotify says that  I cannot listen to tracks as I have "reached my maximum  amount of play  for this track" !  But I'm based in the UK  and I would not have this limit I think once back in the UK (it should only apply to France, right ? )

My profile says that I'm in  UK  and that is right. I cannot change it anyway as the drop down box is greyed out.

How do I recover the tracks that are now disabled?  I've tried uninstalling spotify and re-installing it with no success.

Please help. 😉

thank you

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Unforuntately, the 5 track play limit applies in the UK as well as France. 

You can read more about free restrictions here.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

humm. Your comment is not a true statement.. 

In what way?

From the FAQ (UK version):

"There is also a limitation for each individual track*. You will be able to stream each track 5 times in total. The track play count is not reset each week.

* If the same recording is available on another album you will be able to stream that track 5 times as well."

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Thanks, Sam.  I'm still having an issue because it only allows me to select the Netherlands as my country.  But my country is now St. Maarten or St. Martin or the Caribbean or Netherlands Antilles or Dutch Antilles or the Dutch West Indies.  I'm not sure which one shows up for Spotify which is why I'm including this long list of possibilities.  I'm afraid that if I select the Netherlands, I'll have the same issue as before.  Thanks again for trying, Sam!

ericadanielle - I tried changing your country to St Martin, so your Spotify should've started working. Have you changed the country back?
-------

Who's your Spotify Star?

Hi Sam,  when I logged in to my account, it still said that I was offline.  I went to try to update my country and while it wasn't locked on the Netherlands anymore (it said choose a country instead), the only country option for me to select was the Netherlands again.  I hope this makes sense.  Just logged in again and it says that I'm offline and will not allow me to go online.  Thanks, Sam!

ericadanielle - Where are you actually connecting from? Looks like you're connecting from Curacao, which may be causing the trouble.
-------

Who's your Spotify Star?

Hi Sam, I am actually on the Dutch side of St. Martin (Sint Maarten).  Like Curacao, it is apart of the Netherlands Antilles or the Dutch Caribbean. Perhaps the system is not making a distinction between the two???  Would Spotify work for me if I change my country to Curacao?  Thanks, Sam.

ericadanielle - I've just sent a few emails round to try and get to the bottom of it. I'll get back to you shortly.
-------

Who's your Spotify Star?

Suggested posts