Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify thinks I'm abroad, when I'm not

Solved!

Spotify thinks I'm abroad, when I'm not

I used spotify in the US, then studied abroad in Australia for 5 months. I couldn't use it there, but halfway through Australia got spotify. I had to change my country to use spotify there. Now that I'm back in the US, I had to change my country again. But now spotify says "Your account can no longer be used from abroad, since the maximum travel time is 14 days for a Spotify Free account. To continue using Spotify from abroad, sign up for Spotify Premium which gives you unlimited travel access." But I'm not longer abroad, and would like to go back to using Spotify Free.

419 Replies

Wondering do you have any payment details attached to your online account? If so can you remove them and then try to change your country again?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I only have a receipt for once a I had premium but it was in Spain. Anyway I dont have any payment method attached.

@Dicas -- that should all be fixed. Your account'll now work as normal from Spain. Note: there might be some content changes. Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

Ooh thank you so much. Now works perfectly! Thank you both Adam and Peter!

You are very welcome! 😉

Peter

re: sub_sahara

I think I inow what the problem might be. I suspected Google of location embuggeration so I went to the Profile page to chage my email to a non-Google account and it says somebody else has that email. This would make sense to me from what has been happening. I think I am registered with another of my emails on Spotify Free and with this one on Spotify Unlimited. 

What to do?

If you get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form they can lend a hand to check out your accounts here @user-removed .

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Alternatively, if you prefer support via Twitter, please tweet @SpotifyCares.

Peter

Thanks Peter. Will do. 

I'm having the same problem.  I started using Spotify when I lived in Hong Kong, but after 2 weeks back in the UK it stopped working.  I've tried to update my location on my profile, but whenever I change it it just stays the same.  I want to continue using it for free, I don't have any payment methods set up already.

@vievey84 - Does it let you change the country in the box to UK but it just doesn't save? Have you tried a different browser? 

Peter

Yes, exactly.  I've tried on Chrome and Explorer, but no luck.

Weird, are you sure there are no other errors on the page that you land on after pressing save? 

Peter

No errors, but it does always highlight my email address and say something like "This address is already registered".

That is why the page won't save. 😉

That error message is normally a red flag to say you have more than one Spotify account (which you might not even of been aware off). If you could get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form they will be able to check this out for you and swap that country over.

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Peter

Great, thanks for your help!

Hi, guys,
I've been having a problem for a couple of days. I've searched for a solution in the forum and it seems that a lot of people have a similar problem, but not the same.

So it is that I am from Bulgaria, but when I used Spotify for the first time I was living for a couple of months in Poland. When I came back in Bulgaria, at that time we still hadn't got Spotify here. And from a month and so we do.. so I downloaded it again on my computer and start using the same Facebook account as before, but unfortunately after half a month, now Spotify thinks I'm abroad, and I can't use it from here, because of the initial registration from Poland. Sorry if I explained it too complicated and thank you in advance.

Is your country set correctly on your online profile (as Bulgaria)?
https://www.spotify.com/account/profile/

Peter

Yes, it was correcttly set, I fist looked at my account before writing here. I opened spotify just now and seems that it is working and everyhting is ok... I don't know why, but's ok now. So thank you anyway 🙂

Well it's 'fixed'.

The problem I figures out eventually was that I was registered FREE on one email and on UNLIMITED with another. Shutting one down fixed it. However I am disappointed that UNLIMITED - (unlimitedadjectiveunlimited supplies of waterinexhaustiblelimitlessillimitableboundlessimmeasurableincalculableuntold,infiniteendlessbottomlessnever-ending.)  has been given a new definition. As used by Spotify it now means unlimited FOR 2 WEEKS. You get to the end of the 2 weeks and your monthly payment is still accepted but your service is stopped.

I understand the pressure Spotify wants to put on new customers to buy its premium product. It's a business. But I feel messed about by this. People at Spotify are friendly enough, but it is a little tacky.

I got a free month Premium, but I wanted Unlimited. It's a fair price. For me Premium is more than I want to spend each month on music. It might have been better to say PREMIUM is UNLIMITED. The FREE is FREE but the Unlimited is a blind alley with PREMIUM as the only way out 2 weeks down the line.

Anyway thanks for your help...

Not sure that is correct, if you purchase 1 month of unlimited you should get 1 month of unlimited.

Peter

Suggested posts