Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Student Discount Question

Solved!

Student Discount Question

How can I tell if the student discount has been applied to my account? I had to get a manual verification because my school wasn't already listed. When I clicked on the link they sent me, it just takes me to the account information page where it still says that I will be billed the regular price when my current month is up.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Annoyingly, it doesn't appear that the Spotify payment system will allow US customers to adjust the price of an existing recurring subscription to apply the student discount. 

To get your discount, all you need to do is cancel your current subscription following the steps over on this help page then re-subscribe using your student discount link. No need to worry, you will still get all of the Premium days you have paid for doing this, you can cancel and resubscribe right away and you won't be billed until your next renewal date. 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Hey there, if this is the link you're talking about -  check subscription  - then unfortunately, that is the only place to check. You should see it saying half of what the standard price is. It won't necessarily say "Student rate" anywhere. May need some time to process...

Thanks!

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution!
Twitter | LinkedIn | Instagram
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

I'm having this same problem. After manually verifying, the discount isn't applied to my account. When I restarted the process using the steps listed in the Help section, it simply redirects me back to my account page showing the full premium rate.

I tried to fix this, and was upset to see I was billed at the regular rate today after successfully verifying days ago. 

Has anyone been able to fix this?

Also having this problem after I had just manually verified. Please let me know when you find a solution or if just waiting for it to update worked out for you 🙂

Marked as solution

Annoyingly, it doesn't appear that the Spotify payment system will allow US customers to adjust the price of an existing recurring subscription to apply the student discount. 

To get your discount, all you need to do is cancel your current subscription following the steps over on this help page then re-subscribe using your student discount link. No need to worry, you will still get all of the Premium days you have paid for doing this, you can cancel and resubscribe right away and you won't be billed until your next renewal date. 

Peter

I contacted Spotify support. They say that it's been applied to my account, but my subscription page is still not displaying it. 

will unsubscribing cause data loss such as playlists and things like that?

@sylvan68 - No, playlists remain on your account no matter what subscription plan you are on.

Peter

Will unsubscribing then resubscribing require me to reenter my credit card information?

Yes, you will have to reenter your payment information. They really need to update the help files for this. I went through all of the FAQs and dealing with this just now and it's extremely frustrating.  It should just tell you what you need to do. My current already paid for sub will lapse on the original date so I do get all of my paid time. It then let me click that link again in the email and gave me the $4.99 discount like it's supposed to.You can do this safely. It's annoying, but works. 

I manually got my college approved even though I go to a huge state school then it took me to the payment page for the fourth time and when I entered my information I got this erorr message. I have contacted customer services but they still haven't gotten back to me and it still says I have a free account. Any suggestions?

Screen Shot 2014-09-28 at 10.14.34 PM.png

I am having the same issue. After ot verfies my university and enter the payment information, it takes me back to the "Tell us about yourself page" and I still seem to have the free account. Whats going on???!!!

@shalinir - Best thing to do is to get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form and they can check your account out for you. 

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Alternatively, if you prefer support via Twitter, please tweet @SpotifyCares.

Peter

I was wondering why the student discount was only for college, why not for high school?

Suggested posts