Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Switching from premium to family plan

Solved!

Switching from premium to family plan

I'm currently paying 4 premium accounts for me and my children.

For obvious reasons, I'd like to switch to a family plan. What is the right process?

Should I cancel my current accounts and create a new one?

Doing so, how do I make sure everyone can retrieve its playlists? 

Some sort of detailed step by step process would be of help here.

Thanks.

BTW, Family plan is a great and long awaited move! Congratulations.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello @Laurentgl!

You can keep the accounts open, but they need to become free for the user to accept the initiation to be added onto your family plan. The main user (Administrator) does not have to unsubscribe to premium, but the other 3 do. Once they are free users you can add them using the instructions on this page, there are also instructions on how they can accept your invite there 🙂 They will not lose there playlists or anything, and you can add an existing account to your account, they just need to accept the invite and login with there current account. 

Hope this helped 🙂

Don't forget to add your Kudos and mark as a solution if it helped you!

Follow me on Twitter

Whats a Spotify Rock Star?

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Marked as solution

Hello @Laurentgl!

You can keep the accounts open, but they need to become free for the user to accept the initiation to be added onto your family plan. The main user (Administrator) does not have to unsubscribe to premium, but the other 3 do. Once they are free users you can add them using the instructions on this page, there are also instructions on how they can accept your invite there 🙂 They will not lose there playlists or anything, and you can add an existing account to your account, they just need to accept the invite and login with there current account. 

Hope this helped 🙂

Follow me on Twitter

Thanks to your recommendation I could manage it. It was not that convenient yet. I'd recommend to Spotify an "upgrade" option on the account page that would allow an easy switch from premium to family.

The good news is that apparently all off and on playlists are saved and the subscription will smoothly transition from my current plan to the new one. 

Thanks again.

No problem! 🙂 Enjoy your music! 

Hope this helped 🙂

Follow me on Twitter

I have a premium account and would like to upgrade it to Family, I've followed the instructions from here however I don't see a 
" plan that includes the number of sub accounts" - all I get a payment update page.

Please help

@Prime73 

I suggest you contact support so they can help you

https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

If you get an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it.

Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I switched from Premium to Family, and after a couple weeks, my desktop (mac) Spotify was indicating I was on the free plan. I uninstalled and reinstalled, and that fixed the problem. Now I'm having the same problem on my iPhone 5S. Under "Account," it says I have the free plane, I am getting commercials, can only shuffle, etc. I deleted and reinstalled the app 5 times, and relogged in, using Facebook and just typing in my username password several times, with no luck. 

@jeffblakephoto

Read this post for troubleshooting steps and how to contact support if the steps don't work

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Accounts-and-Subscriptions/Just-subscribed-Not-getting-Premium...

MattSudaSpotify Star
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I have Spotify Student Discount and I am unable to switch over to the Family Plan. How can I do this, because your suggestion does not work for me.

From what i read you can't use any discounts on the family plan. So I'm assuming if you take that off of there it will work.

so, we have to wait for the accounts to convert to free?! next month. Spotify please add an upgrade now function. simple user experience wins the consumer!

What happens if my son was on a premium paid plan and we now subscribed to family plan and added his as a family member?  He did not close out his previosu premium plan and accpeted the family plan invite so will his account no longer be charged as a Premium subscription?  If not, what does he need to do to cancel his premium plan and get on the family plan?  Thanks!

Ok, so I have had a premium account for sometime. Recently I upgraded my son to his own premium plan. Then Daughter No.1 gets her own premium plan, now Daughter No.2 wants her own plan. Now I haven’t cancelled anyone else’s plans and just upgraded them to a family premium plan. Does this mean now that I am being charged for all plans? Do I need to go back and cancel original premium plans? Do they all now have two premium accounts? This could have been done a lot more simply!

Can the kids who gave up their premium accounts get them back when they move out to go to college?

Hey @Rwax,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here!

Note that your kids don't need to create new account to join Premium Family. If they have individual Premium subscriptions, they'll get automatically cancelled, once they join the plan. They can at any time switch back to an individual Premium or Premium with Student discount subscription. Their music collections remains intact with all subscription changes, even if they revert to free.

You can learn more about how Premium Family works here.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts