Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Username on Spotify

Solved!

Username on Spotify

So I was required to create a Spotify account using Facebook, which is irritiating but manageable.  How do I change my Spotify username?  Right now it seems I must log int to Spotify as my Facebook name (not comfortable with that) and elsewhere it lists my username as a series of numbers. I am not a number! (as quoted by "The Prisoner").  Please let me know how to take care of this. 

Thanks for your help.  In advance.  As they say in the corporate world.

Elizabeth

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi Elizabeth, 

At this time it's not possible to change the username for a Spotify account.

As you've joined through Spotify your display name the same as your display name on Facebook. When you log in just enter the email address and password that you use for Facebook--there's no need to use those digits as they are for our use only. 

If you're still seeing these numbers rather than your display name in the app, please try a clean reinstallation

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

My account is not connected to Facebook, but I'm getting this problem on the playlist part of search results all the time.

Here, I search for Wolfgang Gartner and look at the playlist, all the users show up as their username or the Facebook numbers:

Spoti1.png

Now I click on the playlist I'm pointing at to see detailed info for the playlist. I see the person's real name as it normally should be because he is connected to Facebook:

Spoti2.png

And then I click on the Back button to go back to my search results screen and the playlist search no longer shows the username for FB connected users, it's the Facebook real name:

Spoti3.png

The problem seems to be that Spotify is not fetching the Facebook real name under certain conditions. The people who have problems seeing the Facebook name on their friends list is probably having a similar problem as pictured here. Notice how everyone's real name showed up after I pressed the back button to return to the page I was in, even the ones whose playlist I did not look at. The People list never "reloads" like this, so there is no way to actually fix it in there.

Marked as solution

Guys, I figured out the problem for me on Arch linux after a little strace-ing. Essentially, when authenticating with facebook spotify is looking for a certificate named ed524cf5.0 which is not present on Arch. The easy (hack of a) fix for me was:

cd /etc/ssl/certs
sudo ln -s Entrust.net_Secure_Server_CA.pem ed524cf5.0

I'm not familiar with the setup of certificates on different systems, but I guess spotify could start using Entrust.net_Secure_Server_CA.pem directly rather than the symlink (it has the same name on Ubuntu). Or if that isn't guaranteed either perhaps bundling the certificate in the app could work.

Marked as solution

@user-removed 

You cannot have a spaces or capitals in your username.

You may have seen users with spaces or capitals in their username because their account is linked to their Facebook account.

When you connect your Spotify account to your Facebook account, it changes your display name to the name you have on your Facebook account. These users still sign in with their username, but the name displayed on their profile is the one on their Facebook account. 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

165 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi Elizabeth, 

At this time it's not possible to change the username for a Spotify account.

As you've joined through Spotify your display name the same as your display name on Facebook. When you log in just enter the email address and password that you use for Facebook--there's no need to use those digits as they are for our use only. 

If you're still seeing these numbers rather than your display name in the app, please try a clean reinstallation

Never mind.  Got an answer.

Okay thanks.  It is showing my FB name and the username of numbers is just greyed out.  I'll suffer through - heh.

I have the same Problem as InkyHeels.

I registred through my Facebookaccount, but in the app i don't see neither my facebookname/email, nor i see the name of my friends- only numbers. Also Profile Images does not get displayed.

Any solution for this?

13-03-2012 14-12-52.jpg

Same "number"-problem here. Clean install is out of question because i just installed it the first time on windows and os x and have the problem on both.

Hey sladerino, Flakes - are either of you connecting through any kind of proxy or using a firewall that might be blocking the Facebook part of the Spotify connection?

I've seen this cause problems before, similar to the screenshot provided above.
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Hi there,

now you mentioned it- yes I'm at work behind a proxy. This might also explain why I can't see any updates of music i have listen to on facebook.

I guess there is no solution for it?

It seems so at the moment I'm afraid. All the cases I've seen of this are workplaces that have banned Facebook and this has the effect of blocking out that bit of Spotify.

A bit annoying I know - sorry I can't be much more helpful right now.
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

Just FYI: Our Workplace is not blocking Facebook. 😉

Also I can log in with my Facebook-Login to Spotify (well, at least, this is the most important function :P)

I just restarted and now i see my own name and photo, but not the photos of my friends. Also only the friends are displayed that have spotify. Shouldn t there be the other friends without spotify too?

I m not behind any kind of proxy. Via Lan connected to a router with DSL modem.

screebsgit

That does look strange, 'alle freunde' should show all your friends, Spotify or not. I'm not quite sure why they're not showing up.

In your Spotify Preferences is the Proxy setting set on anything? You said already that you weren't behind a proxy but this internal setting can still affect things. It should just be on auto-detect.

In the meantime, I'll see if I can think of something else to try.

I ve checked the Proxy settings. It was on auto-detect. Tried "no proxy" too, but that did not change anything.

Strange thing is. I have 3 computers. On the first PC (Win7) it works as intended. That was the one i first installed spotify. On my Laptop (Win7) it does not work. And on my workcomputer (OS X 10.7) it does not work as well.

Three Computers, 1 works, 2 do not work. Same settings. The first 2 are even in the same network.

I tried messing with the Facebook settings. Deleted the spotify access and set it up again. No change.

I access spotify from germany, if that is any help.

I agree, it's strange that it would be different across your setup like that. Especially if it's the same version of Spotify on the same OS. No difference in the firewall/antivirus software, is there?

No antivirus software running. On the Win7 PCs i have the windows firewall but spotify access is granted. The Mac has no firewall activated.

same problem here.

just numbers, and just one friend in "all friends" -list.

direct lan-connection to router and cable modem.

proxy on auto-detect.

that´s quiet annoying on this otherwise awesome software.
i want to get premium, so please help us fixing this problem. 

A Question to Flakes: Bist Du zufällig bei kabel Deutschland?

Nein ich bin bei Unitymedia. Aber ist ja auch Kabel.

Aber wie gesagt, an einem PC gehts auch über Unitymedia und auf der Arbeit haben wir DSL da geht es nicht. Daran kann es also nicht liegen.

Same problem here. Only one Facebook friend in the list (who uses Spotify, too). I'm also from Germany and signed up two days ago.

Tried to use another internet access with my mac, but the issue remains. I don t think it has something to do with firewalls or proxies.

Also, the list doesn t update at all. I asked my friend if he listened to music in the meantime. He did, but it does not show up on my sidebar.

Now i have people i ve never heard of in my list. It s getting weird.

Suggested posts