Help - Accounts and Subscriptions

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Internet Hit
GreenOnions

Why my "Explicit" tracks getting replaced with edited versions?

[ Edited ]

Not all, but some. NOT COOL, man.  

An example is The Cool Kids "When Fish Ride Bicycles" album. Used to explicit. But no mas. 

Festival Headliner
MattSuda

Re: Why my "Explicit" tracks getting replaced with edited versions?

I found the explict version of the album here:

The Cool Kids – When Fish Ride Bicycles (click)

Directly from Spotify 

"Spotify does not censor music in any way. We simply make the music available in whatever form it was given to us.

Albums are often released in two versions: the "explicit" and the "clean" version. Usually, both versions are available on Spotify. However, as both versions are seen as identical, they will be grouped when shown in the artist view page. Only one of these albums will be immediately visible. The other album can reached by clicking the button that displays duplicates, a small arrow to the far right-hand side next to the album title."

As some have pointed out -- the grouped option with the down arrow is not available on the mobile apps.

The censored version is shown on the artist page by default in the mobile apps.

You have to do a deep search and look in the tracks sections for the uncensored duplicate.

Maybe Spotify can improve this.

Matt Suda
Spotify Community Rock Star

User since 2011    Founder of repeat one    I met Daniel Ek

♫ Music keeps my heart beating ♫  
My Spotify Dream

My Spotify Profile  Twitter: @MattJSuda  Website: mattsuda.com
Internet Hit
GreenOnions

[ Edited ]

First of all, no this not solved, so please change that.

There is only one version of that album available. When I play the song "Swimsuits" from that link , it is the explicit version, which I have had starred from when I first listened to it like a year ago. Well, that same track, starred and everything, plays an edited verion when I play from within one of my playlists.

This is also the case with some other songs lately, can't remeber which, but some B.I.G. for sure.

Internet Hit
GreenOnions

When I search by the song only, I do get 2 versions - not specified which is explicit, btw - but they are there, even though when I search the artist or album, only 1 version appears. That's the first problem. 

The second, is that I starred the explicit versions, had them in playlists and everything was hunky dorey until recently, when I noticed words were missing... So my point is, somehow Spotify is switching these versions on me, and that ain't cool. 

Festival Headliner
MattSuda

Sorry, someone might have marked my post as a solution. This was not me. I have fixed that. Since the exclipt version plays from the link I provided -- delete the tracks from your playlist that are censored -- open the album that my link goes to and try to re-add the tracks from the uncensored album. I think I know what happened: The music label probably just released the clean censored version to Spotify and it messed up current playlists that linked to the uncensored tracks. Usually this doesn't happen because a music label usually releases both versions on release.
Matt Suda

My Spotify Dream

Festival Headliner
MattSuda

Usually when a music label releases their music, they let services such as Spotify know which versions are explicit or not. They didn't let Spotify know, so that's why there is no explicit label next to them. Spotify uploads it based on how it's given to them.
Matt Suda

My Spotify Dream

Internet Hit
GreenOnions

Makes sense. But again, this isn't the only album/track that this has happened with - several in my playlists have gone from explicit to clean without me doing sh*t. So it's going to get real annoying if I have to keep switching them back. 

Festival Headliner
MattSuda

Hmm… I've never had a problem like this. Hopefully Spotify can improve this so it stops happening.
Matt Suda

My Spotify Dream

Concert Regular
joesalowitz

I have this same issue. Here's an example:

I was listening to Macklemore's new song "Thrift Shop-Explicit" on my playlist "New Music". Two days later I played the same playlist and the Macklemore song was all bleeped out!

Sam

Joesalowitz - There are some naughty words in this version... Macklemore & Ryan Lewis – Thrift Shop - feat. Wanz

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?
Announcements
Rock Star Program
Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.

Beta test Spotify for iOS
Hi there.
Would you like a chance to beta test upcoming versions of Spotify for iOS? If the answer is a resounding "yes!" then please click here to read more.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.