Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

how do I search within a record label?

Solved!

how do I search within a record label?

Quite a while ago I knew how to search within a record label.... can someone remind me please!?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Just type: label:[LABEL]

Without the square brackets, of course. Example: Universal

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I just learned about this feature in this thread. As you reported, I get only a few results for "Morr Music", but I get a lot more searching for "Morr". Maybe that will give you what you want.

A note to others having problems with this: I wasn't getting the results I wanted in the desktop search until i realized that there shouldn't be a space between the colon and the label name - label:steeplechase instead of label: steeplechase.

This is a great feature!

View solution in original post

29 Replies
Marked as solution

Just type: label:[LABEL]

Without the square brackets, of course. Example: Universal

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

hi I've tried this and doesn't work.

has something changed???

Thanks

Works fine for me on the desktop client and the web player. Which label are you searching for - if it is more than one word, put quotation marks around the label name.

I have used this feature in the seach bar and it partially works. I searched "Morr Music" and got only a couple of albums instead of their whole catalog. Would love to see Spotify improve this feature. Digging through a label's back catalog is my favorite way to learn about new music.

Marked as solution

I just learned about this feature in this thread. As you reported, I get only a few results for "Morr Music", but I get a lot more searching for "Morr". Maybe that will give you what you want.

A note to others having problems with this: I wasn't getting the results I wanted in the desktop search until i realized that there shouldn't be a space between the colon and the label name - label:steeplechase instead of label: steeplechase.

This is a great feature!

Sorry. Still not sure how to best find everything by, say the label "Blue Horizon". (To give a more common name than Morr Music) Exacly what shall I write into the search box.

Related question: How do I search for a series like X-Mix or DJ Kicks?

Type this in the search box:

label:"Blue Horizon"

The quotes are needed if you want an exact match for a term containing more than one word.

Thanks.

I wonder why don't you make such information part of your FAQ? A person looking for the information have to dig up an obscured forum thread.

How is your company management structure in the first place? No offense, I guess I am not the first you heard that you may have the best offer of the streaming music services but the user interface of the Spotify app (I use Windows and the web) is the most horrible.

Sorry, I don't have time to open new topics for everything, just my bug report:

Right click on the cover of the album while playing it, it says in bold Go To and clicking on itdoes nothing.

My setup can be found here: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/CAN-ONLY-PLAY-ONE-TRACK-AT-A-TIME-FROM-CH...

Oh, wait: no permalinks to forum posts? As expected, but no offense 🙂

OK. So now I was even able to search for label:"!K7 Records"

I wonder how it gets determined that what albums from the K7 catalogue or any label, for the matter goes into Spotify and what doesn't get included?

People don't like reading too much so I guess Spotify has to strike a balance in the FAQ sections but enclosing phrases in quotation marks is standard in all search engines I've used.

Publishers decide what music they want to make available to us. There's more information in this FAQ.

Use LabelM8 for enhanced record label searching on Spotify!  http://www.labelm8.com

Search any label by URL, ex: http://www.labelm8.com/morr-music

@labelm8 wrote:

Use LabelM8 for enhanced record label searching on Spotify!  http://www.labelm8.com

Search any label by URL, ex: http://www.labelm8.com/morr-music

Nice one!

This is NOT AD. But have you Spotify even looked how other services do the same? I think this works.

http://www.rdio.com/label/DJ_Beat_Records/sort/releaseDate/

I'm sad to tell, but I really use Rdio and especially this function to look about new releases in my favorite labels. Mainly because I have subscribed on Spotify on 500+ hands up, dancecore and techno artists and never get all notifications about releases. This just don't work! Even if I know DJ Gollum song released yesterday, notification? Oh no... Release I discovered thru Rdio by looking labels new releases...

I think really,,, you can do stuff better... and Richard, if you work to Spotify, I don't think you can't look once at Rdio... Really this worth... Label:Label name here on Spotify is pure waste of time compared to Rdio.

In other words when you type Label:"Central Stage of Music" on Spotify, I enjoy at the sime time full and detailed, stylish label page! And on Spotify only some search results w/o even filter by date, freshness etc. Just by typing record label name on Rdio search bar. No need for codes, no need to be nerd.

@thewizardofsf wrote:

hi I've tried this and doesn't work.

has something changed???

Thanks

Hi.

I just tried it and it worked.

If no results, you misspelled the label. Like RG Music Records will not find a thing, but RGMusic Records will.

Kind regards

xd

This issue does not seem to be as simple as assuming that no results means a misspelt label.

I find that searching by label in this way works for some labels; for others it returns only some of the expected results, and for others, it returns nothing.

An example is the following:

- Search for 'Mellow Mood hancock' . You'll get an album called 'Mellow Mood'.

- Note that it has two entries under the label: "SMD MUSIC" and "SMD Music".

- Typing neither of the following returns any albums at all:

label:"SMD MUSIC"

or

label:"SMD Music"

I also tried a wildcard:

label:"SMD*"

or

label:"SMD *"

And while I did get results, none were from the "SMD Music" label.

Can anyone explain what's going on here? I've tried it with numerous labels with all sorts of weird results. The space doesn't seem to be a problem - I tried it with another label containing a space, and the results looked sensible. This simply looks like a bug.

To give an idea of how this feature is being used, I'm looking for music that I believe is published by this label, but I don't know the album or artist.

Whole-heatedly agree: RDIO's label-centric ux compared to this Spotify label filter makes me feel like Spotify couldn't care less what music lovers actually want. I have been forced to Spotify from RDIO since it shutdown and so far Spotify feels like a 3rd world service. How can it be, given that Spotify has existed longer than RDIO, that does not yet have this level of functionality?? Having switched to Spotify I feel as though my limbs have been cut off. If Pandora's service is anything as good as RDIO was, I'll be leaving Spotify with great haste.

On a similar note, the music discovery methods of RDIO were far superior as a whole. I don't give a darn what my Facebook friends are listening to. I want to find listeners with similar music tastes and see what's trending within those communities. Your curated playlists are a complete waste of my time. For shame...

Hey guys

Labelm8 is now called ListenByLabel 

Use this site to search record label catalogs and access the music in Spotify.

http://lbl.fm

Enjoy!

Is it possible to search within a list of labels, e.g. philips or decca or emi ....? I tried label:philips OR decca OR emi but it didn't work. Thanks 

Hi. It seems that "OR" can only be used once in a search term.

Suggested posts