Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

App Permissions? Remote Number and Wi-Fi Devices

App Permissions? Remote Number and Wi-Fi Devices

Just been forced to download the latest app version in order to keep listening, and have been greeted with a notice that the Spotify app requires access to the names of connected wifi devices and, more worryingly, the nunmber of any phone call that is received.

Why does the app require these permissions? I can't think of any good reason Spotify need to know who is calling me.

7 Replies

This was brought up yesterday, I'm not sure about the mobile number but that permission also mentions "device IDs" which would make me wonder is it needed for identifying offline playlists.

Names of connected wifi devices will be for Spotify Connect.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Had't heard about Connect previously, interesting feature. Getting caller information i am still very concerned about though.

Last time I had an issue was a few years ago when the Facebook login was implemented and my old login's playlists were lost - Spotify's support was quick, efficient and spot on with solving my issue. What on earth has happened since then that there is now just a deafening silence from them? I'm sincerely tempted to just cancel my subscription and move back to mp3s.

I can't believe there was a time when Spotify had good customer support. Check the Chromecast thread in the ideas forum or the thread in my signature. Great examples of how horrible their support is nowadays. This hack/app fiasco is just the latest and worst example. Escape while you still can, plenty of others have. 

Lamp

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Add-support-for-Google-ChromeCast/idi-p/482900

It's a shame, but yes, I think I will cancel if they're going to impose this. Offline mode on my phone was the biggest reason I paid for premium, but I'm not about to install the update if it means Spotify can start collecting information about my calls.

Disappointing considering I'd been a happy customer for over two years, but easy come easy go.

I have asked Spotify to see if they can clarify the permissions.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

If I am remembering correctly there was something posted about the phone number issue on the reddit page. I will try to find it and post a link to it.

Edited to add the url: http://www.reddit.com/r/spotify/comments/26vq06/android_app_now_requires_caller_id_permission/

Suggested posts