Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Audio Effects on Samsung Galaxy S4

Audio Effects on Samsung Galaxy S4

Hi there - hoping someone can help.

I am using Spotify on my Galaxy S4 and have switched on the Audio Effects which makes a massive different to the sound.

It seems that when I open some other apps, including just switching to a web browser and also sometimes when it just sleeps, the audio effects turn off and the music continues.

This is pretty annoying as I have to then go back to Spotify and turn them back on again and then it may stay on for some time.

Hope someone has a solution.

Thanks

36 Replies

Interesting. I didn't even know that was an actionable area on the screen, so thank you.

Anyway, I have a Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0 (like a Galaxy S but without the 3g part). I haven't had an issue with keeping the audio effects on regardless of whether I'm browsing the web, going to different music apps and returning, playing games, etc.  I am using the app called "Equalizer" (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smartandroidapps.equalizer&hl=en) and have it set to "enable auto-detect for presets" within that app.  That's the app that is triggered when I access the audio effects option in Spotify.

I don't know what you are using for audio effects.  Is there a native equalizer you're using?  It could be that the equalizer is somehow getting reset.  I'm curious as to why your Spotify client doesn't retain the audio effects but mine does.

Hi - I am considering buying the Samsung S4 and was wondering when I download music or save it offline on Spotify - where is the music stored on the phone?

I have heard the software takes up 9/16gb's on the phone and was worried if it only lets spotify save music to the phone then it would become an issue for me.

Also if it does let you store it on the SD card is it easy enough to play it on the phone?

When you install Spotify for the first time, it should choose the location to store its offline content based on whichever location has more storage space free (internal vs SD card). 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I'm having the exact same problem on my Galaxy S4... only i found i dont have to go back into the spotify audio settings to get it back on, just back to spotify itself. Did you find an answer / solve???

Another problem im having is i used to play in Spotify then i could press the lock screen button and the controls would show up so i could easity skip, pause / play etc. Now that is gone. Instead i have to open the notifications slide down and its in there.. but when i do, the weird audio thing happens. SO annoying!! And this new problem has only started happening since i changed the audio settings. If i go and change them back its still gone.

Ideas anyone??

Ta!

Hi,

I have the same problem as well, except the on/off button doesn't go back to "off". All I have to do is to go back into Spotify and the audio effects is turned back on.

Very annoying since the audio effects lower the volume a bit (my specific settings at least), and when it turnes off, I nearly go deaf sometimes.

Also have the SGS4.

I am having the similar issue. Audio effects did turn the music volume down although the dynamic sound range as per the equalizer set. I did not see this happen on my other android devices. On other device the volume is even louder with audio effects on which I think this is the way it is supposed to behave. And I think (if I remember this correctly) at the earlier release of Spotify the volume was louder as well and for some reasons this is no longer the case.
I have emailed spotify support but no luck so far 😞

Yip same problem here too, really frustrating.. when ever a app tries to open or the phone connects to wifi it resets and have to enter Spotify to turn it back on.

Galaxy S4

I need to email their support.. 

This is going to sound silly, but... Since I disabled T-Mobile Visual Voicemail, the Spotify Audio Effects (MusicFX.apk) has been functioning properly.

Update- it worked for about 2 days. Still getting random eq shut offs. Good way to go deaf.

At first my audio effects worked on all songs and wooow it was awesome sound on streamed as well as downloaded. Now it is on for some songs, off for others. Its really annoying cause the audioeffects were one of the reasons i chose Spotify instead og Player Pro. Weird enough i only get the little green icon on some songs in a downloaded list. More weird, yes, those with the icon have audio effects... Please help, else im back to player pro....

Im still having the audio issue too - And its inconsistent, often the eq just cuts out randomly through songs... eg: last night it cut out on the 2nd song i listened to, then again on the third, then not again for 10 more songs.. Everytime it happens i have to go back into the audio settings screen and  the eq comes back on. Have just tweeted @SpotifyCares regarding the issue - hopefully a fix is provided.

Anyone found a solve yet?

Forgot to mention that i got the Xperia Z. The Z doesnt have an on/off switch but close. I have to enter the audioeffects controller switch to off kr choose a setting. On the songs where the effects dont work its still actually on. Switching off and on still doesnt start the effects.

Spotify, could you give us a hint as if your aware of the problem and fixing it??

Fix a bug like this and you got one hell of a show going ;0)

Hi guys,

This sounds a strange issue. Could you all just confirm that you've tried all the troubleshooting steps here?

If you have and you're still having the problem, we'll need to escalate it further. To do this, we'll just need the following details:

- The make and model of your phone

- The version of Android you're running

- The version of Spotify you're using

- If you're using any third party equalizer (MusicFX etc.)

Thanks!

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

@Sam wrote:

Hi guys,

This sounds a strange issue. Could you all just confirm that you've tried all the troubleshooting steps here?

If you have and you're still having the problem, we'll need to escalate it further. To do this, we'll just need the following details:

- The make and model of your phone

- The version of Android you're running

- The version of Spotify you're using

- If you're using any third party equalizer (MusicFX etc.)

Thanks!

Hi there, 

Yes it is a strange issue but it seems that spotify didn't put this as priority. I have been having this issue for months yet still no solution.

I have sent numourus emails to support and the answer is always wait for the next update???? 

Just to recap.... Audio volume will be way much softer if the EQ from spotify (audio effect) is ON. It is only happening with S4, I have another device Note 10.1, its audio is perfect, it will be louder when the EQ is ON or at least at the same volume level.

Please fix this, and don't just hit around the bush by telling us to do those repeated troubleshots procedure... yes of course I have done those with no luck!

Yeah I used that app as well and it seems to fix the issue. Somehow the original Samsung audio effects reset and don't interact at ALL with Spotify but this is a nice work around. I'll update if it goes back to it's old ways but so far it's the best it's been without worrying about blowing my speakers or ear drums randomly

Hi Sam,

I have done the troubleshooting steps and the problem seems to have subsided a bit, but it has happened a couple of times - not as often though. I havent had much of a chance to give it a good listen over the last few days but will do so this week and update.

Thanks!

Update: Ive now had a chance to listen quite a bit.

The issue still occurs however its not as often.

All my details are the same as in my tweets.

So, where to from here?

Thanks

yep. I have the same problem on S4..
Took me ages to sort out before I saw your post!

One solution, load fxequaliser from play store & follow setup instructions when you install. You'll then have proper sound control from the settings sound options in settings menu via use of app.
Hope this helps.

Thanks piwebb,

I'll have a look into that app now... Although cant find fxequaliser - did you mean Equalizer FX (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.devdnua.equalizer.free)?

@Spotify: Update - After updating the firmware on my s4, the problem is MUCH MUCH worse! When i fist had the problem, the eq intermittently DROPPED in volume. Now it RISES in volume suddenly which blasts the ear drums! I find it is really loud for the first second of every song, drops down, then half way through rises again and it's happening more often. I dont have any issues listening to music via the music app - only spotify.

Suggested posts