Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Feedback Request: Android Offline Issues

Solved!

Feedback Request: Android Offline Issues

Hello everyone! Spotify here.

We are looking into customer reports about issues with offlined playlists on Android (music which is downloaded to your phone so you can play without an internet connection). Our investigation shows that some folks might have experienced some issues with this so we were hoping you could answer some questions to help us diagnose the problem.

1. Have you made a playlist available offline which you could not play without any internet connection?

2. Have you made a playlist available offline which constantly downloads when you start Spotify?

Thanks,
Team Spotify
448 Replies

The spotify app on my android doesnt recognize my premium when i go offline. It constantly asks me to go online to prove that I have premium, which I do. Spotify works perfectly on my other devices

Galaxy S3 user here.

In the past fortnight my spotify app has gone crazy. I have a few thousand tracks downloaded for use offline but I am having problems with 'keeping' them downloaded.

I open the app and they are not downloaded so it starts the process again until they are all downloaded. Next time I open the app they are gone again and it starts over!

In the last few days the app was showing all of my music downloaded and in offline mode so I have been listening to music for hours at a time but then today I checked my internet usage and my downloads have been smashed by Spotify....like 10-12gb per day!!!

I am acared to un-install and download the app in case I have to download everything AGAIN!

Hi there,

have a S3 with the same problems.

Latest Spotify version, CyanogenMod 4.4.4, 32 GB SD card.

I can download the files and listen to them offline (got about 50 albums offline) but after a while (during the day) more and more songs disappear. Today was my worst day so far. I started with all songs green this morning and when I left work in the evening nearly half of the songs were gone. I had exactly the same problem a year ago but some new Spotify version fixed the problem. Maybe two months ago it started again but as it have been only 3-5 songs a day I didn't think much about it. Right now it downloads about a hundert songs just for this day.

Although downloading is turned off via mobile network I think it get's worse if I put Spotify to offline mode. If I stay online, less songs get lost.

Please, fix these problems (and sorry for my bad english...).

Thanks

Marcus

@Ghost1871 wrote:

Hi there,

have a S3 with the same problems.

Latest Spotify version, CyanogenMod 4.4.4, 32 GB SD card.

I can download the files and listen to them offline (got about 50 albums offline) but after a while (during the day) more and more songs disappear. Today was my worst day so far. I started with all songs green this morning and when I left work in the evening nearly half of the songs were gone. I had exactly the same problem a year ago but some new Spotify version fixed the problem. Maybe two months ago it started again but as it have been only 3-5 songs a day I didn't think much about it. Right now it downloads about a hundert songs just for this day.

Although downloading is turned off via mobile network I think it get's worse if I put Spotify to offline mode. If I stay online, less songs get lost.

Please, fix these problems (and sorry for my bad english...).

Thanks

Marcus

Hi there. I've been seeing a few issues with Samsung users in CM builds. As it's a custom ROM is technically not supported on Spotify and I would suggest you go to the Cyanogenmod forums for help. 

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Within the last couple of weeks, I too have been encountering similar problems with Spotify Premium and my Samsung Galaxy S3. On new streamed music the song just stops playing after about 3 minutes and won't play anything downloaded offline. As there seem to have been ongoing issues with Spotify for sometime in this forum, it is becoming increasing apparent that the spotify app is flawed for  some Android based smart phones and is no longer fit for purpose. Whatever the reasons for this, Spotify continue to take our money each month. I will be cancelling my subscription.

I've had an issue just yesterday.

Suddenly while running - playing stopped.

I opened the app and saw that my downloaded playlist became NOT "available offline"....

I had to download it all again last night. 

Also I would suggest that you add a confirmation popup when you press the button to make an "available offline" playlist become NOT "available offline" since this simple click deletes your entire local files which is pretty destructive... It happened to me a few times before that I accedeintally pressed the button and had to download it all again....

Remaining hopefull,

Shahar.

I can't download any music. The button for downloading cannot be activated.
I have this problem on both devices and am a premium user.
Devices:
Fairphone FP1 and Nexus 10
I did not change anything to my software or anything.
Please solve the problem, cause this is the only reason I shave the premium package and I don't pay attention without that service.
If you need more information, contact me!

Similar problem happened with me. Spotify Premium would not store my music offline and would stop playing mid song when online. I discovered the problem was limited memory despite having a 64GB micro sd card installed in my Samsung Galaxy S3. Even though when I tested the micro SD card it said 64GB was available, in reality only 4GB was available. The card had gone faulty. I replaced the micro SD card with a good quality 32GB micro SD card and Spotify then worked fine. My problem solved. Don't know if this information and solution will help anyone else.

If some phones do not have the option of extra microSD memory. Then some of the problems reported in this forum might simply be that of limited overall memory. Clearly, that may not be the problem in every case.

Hi guys!

Thanks a lot for all the info you've already provided.

On top of this information, it would be really helpful if you could provide:

- Specific timestamp when the issue occured

We're continuing to look into this with the relevant team, and will keep you guys updated when we have more info. 

___

New to the Community? Check out the Community newbie tips

Did I solve your problem? Click 'Accept As Solution' to help others find the answer!

Need Spotify help on Twitter? Head to @SpotifyCares

For me it happened at October 1st around 17:30 GMT+3.

i have upgraded to spotify premium yet i can't access any music without an Internet connection and my play lists constantly say waiting to download every time i open my app.

Check the amount of available memory you have left in your phone as this might be the issue. Spotify Premium uses a hell of a lot of memory to cache and store music offline.

Hi, I am running the latest version of Spotify on a Galaxy S3 with CM11 installed, and offline songs are re-downloaded every day. IF I set the app to offline mode, the songs just gradually become unavailable offline. I have tried removing all offline devices, deleting all local content via the app, uninstalling, restarting the phone and reinstalling but the issue keeps happening. I have the songs on an external SD card.

Same problem here. Don't expect any help from Spotify except that CM is not supported.

I'm currently evaluating other streaming services and will quit my subscription soon. Deezer seems to work fine at the moment...

Am assuming if it's a problem for others on android that a fix for the supported platforms will fix mine too, but that might be hoping too much!
Mainly use spotify for offline so will cancel at the end of this billing cycle and try deezer for a month instead if not fixed.

@dviduk wrote:
Hi, I am running the latest version of Spotify on a Galaxy S3 with CM11 installed, and offline songs are re-downloaded every day. IF I set the app to offline mode, the songs just gradually become unavailable offline. I have tried removing all offline devices, deleting all local content via the app, uninstalling, restarting the phone and reinstalling but the issue keeps happening. I have the songs on an external SD card.

Can you try a clean install as detailed below. There are additional steps and checks to take. 

Please read the guide linked below for details on getting a completely clean install of the Spotify app. This should be the first step and can help resolve issues such as:

- Black screen on startup
- Offline data not storing on SD card
- Random crashes or FC's
- Track degradation or skipping
- Playlists and tracks no longer available

[GUIDE] First step of troubleshooting - Clean Install

Android Troubleshooting:

Hi, when I said I reinstalled the app I meant I followed your guide for a clean install. So I have performed a clean install and the offline tracks still disappear/re-download.

@dviduk wrote:
Hi, when I said I reinstalled the app I meant I followed your guide for a clean install. So I have performed a clean install and the offline tracks still disappear/re-download.

Have you formated your sd card also? If so I recommend you contact Spotify Support using the form here.

You will get an automated reply at first, however if you need to chase them just reply to the email as it does get monitored.

Android Troubleshooting:

I haven't formatted the SD card, wondering why I'd need to do that? It has all my photos etc on it and would be a pain to reformat, why would that make any difference?

Hi, can you hep me please,

I recently upgraded to a samsung s4 mini on vodafone, where i also got 24 months spotify premimum free with it

but when i try to make my playlists available offline, only one or two songs have been made available (the green highlighted circle, with arrow facing down) and the rest haven't, and keeps saying its waiting to download.

i always have a wifi or 4G connection on and my phone is brand new so clean memory, so i dont understand why it isnt working? i have even tried re-installing the app but still wont make my playlists available offline, can you advice me what to do to make it work?

thank you

wai-kin

Suggested posts