Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to store offline music on the external SD card on andriod

Solved!

How to store offline music on the external SD card on andriod

Hello, my name is Paschal.

I was told from your website to contact this email if i had any troubles.

Recently, I downloaded Spotify again on my phone, because it was malfunctioning, now it works properly but a new problem has aroused. i cant store off-line music on the external SD card.
I went to your website in search of a solution and came to this page.

"http://www.spotify.com/se/help/faq/mobile/android-how-do-i-store-offline-music-on-the-external-sd-ca..."

This page is out of date compared to your new version of spotify on the android phones. i can no longer Open Spotify in your mobile
Go to “More”, “Settings” and select “Clear saved data”
Press More and then Log Out
While at the login screen, press the hardware Menu key and select SD Location
Enter the path to a folder on the SD card.

This is because the new version of Spotify android does not have a clear saved data option, or a "more" option in fact. so my question is how can i change it so that i can save my off-line play-list to the external sd card with the new version of Spotify android.

78 Replies
Marked as solution

Totally agree 10 quid a month and they cant even set up a button to hit in order to move your storage to the SD card....totally useless!

No need for button. With a fresh install of Spotify, the app will choose where to store offline cached music. Comes down what has more space. For me it was my 64GB external card. Music stores there. Works great!

Hello,

I suppose the first time I installed Spotify, my SD was recognized to be the place where it stores my files. But, is it any way to check this?

*EDIT*

I just checked at the Android/com.spotify.music/... on my SD card and yeah, my stored files are there. Just replying to help anybody with the same question.

Sounds like the perfect solution. Only my phone (sony xperia) does not have a hardware menu button....

Does any body know how you kan set storage to SD then?

Thanks!

@alwin wrote:

Sounds like the perfect solution. Only my phone (sony xperia) does not have a hardware menu button....

Does any body know how you kan set storage to SD then?

Thanks!

On installation the app will store the cache to the partition with the most free space. If you are finding it not storing the cache (offline music) to your SD card a clean install should correct this.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

I've cleared the cache and reinstalled the app 3 times and it still downloads everything to my 5 GB of internal storage and NOT my 32 GB SD card.

Why isn't there a button to force downloads to SD? Reinstalling constantly is a poor solution when a simple Settings option would be so easy.

About ready to cancel because of this. 

i can move the downloaded songs to external sd?

@oscarhostyn wrote:

i can move the downloaded songs to external sd?

unfortunately not, you need a clean install which means re-downloading

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Hi,

I have a brand new Moto G 4G (2nd generation).

What worked for me is cleaning the cache and selecting a download quality better than normal i.e high or extreme.

If I select normal quality the songs downloads onto internal memory instead of SD card, no matter my SD card has more free space than my phone.

I hope it will help you.

My hubby has no sd card, minimum storage on his S3 he's uSing for music, songs go to small phone storage (1g only -30m free) instead of internal storage(4g free) then stops because no room obviously. How to get spotify to use internal instead of phone storage? ???
I've been abusing his phone all night trying to get it to dl to internal

Dont want to delete all my playlists and albums.
Took me months to build that, it would be impossible to re do all that work in 1 day.

Really stupid that you cant just choose to save it to the sd card after installation.
And if it was just a installation and that i have to re-download the albums. But not have to spend hours rebuilding my playlists, then it would be quite easy. But i dont know why i have to clear everything and start from scratch, dosent make any sense at all unless spotify is just trolling people... Anyways this **bleep** is a headache, thinking of just getting a regular mp3 player.

I would LOVE to have a software button that tells the app to store downloaded music on the SD card. I too am a paying subscriber.
Marked as solution

Hi,

In case you have not found out this already, or anybody else wants to know: Spotify for Android now has an option in the settings area to let you choose where you want to have your downloads stored, whether in the internal memory or in external SD card storage. Just go to Settings, scroll all the way down to the Other section and tap on Storage, a list with the possible options will show up (SD card and device storage in my case) and choose where you want your downloaded music to be stored.

Greetings to everybody.

If not have much to do or was it pure chance, he had the same problem when upgrading play store the problem. Descargar Play Store Gratis It is very simple here you explain it very well http://www.playstore.name

Thank you!  That helped a lot.  All I had to do is search for the string you specified and there it is on my SD card.  Now I know I can download to my ears' content.  I fly a lot, and this is a big part of my music library.

Awesome, thanks!

Thank you for the information, problem is when selecting the other option it is not working.

On the app you can click on 'Your Library' > Settings (cog icon), this will lead you to a list of settings for your app. Simply scroll to the bottom of the page - click on 'Storage' and click on SD card or any other variety of option displayed here... I was using a Samsung S7 Edge - unsure if Iphone would be the same process......

Use cation when you choose to store to your SD card. Shortly after I moved my spotify storage to the SD card , my spotify app started freezing, it was super leggy, wouldn't leet me pause or switch tracks. I wasn't sure what was happening. It then dawned on me that it started happeniing after i changed storage locations. So I switched it bazck to internal memory and haven't had an issue since. I have a Samsung Note8 now, but u had the same issues with my S7 

Suggested posts