Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Latest version white screen, no login, no playlists, no search, nothing

Solved!

Latest version white screen, no login, no playlists, no search, nothing

Every since the latest patch, I have been completely unable to use Spotify on my Galaxy S3.  I open the ap, and get the black bar at the top with the menu option in the top left corner and Spotify next to it.  No option to log in, nothing.  When I select the menu, it brings up another blank whit screen with no option to search, playlists, radio, anything.

First I tried uninstalling the ap, and reinstalling, and it did the same thing.

I tried this several times with any variations I could think of uninstalling and reinstalling, and still nothing.

Then I cam here and read and followed the steps to go to application manager, delete the cache, force stop, uninstall the ap, deleted the com.spotify from phone and SD card, turn the device off, restart the device, reinstall the ap from Google Play store.

Same thing as before, white screen, no option, no menu, no nothing.

I expect the ap to work.  I get nothing.  I can't play any songs or do anything with it.

I've tried restartin several times.

Connnectionisn't the problem.

Device is Samsung Galaxy S3

Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2

Premium Account

Available space: 5.4G, 9.2G SD

Device is not rooted.

Was on SD card.

Only Google Play versions, nothing earlier.

WiFi/Mobile doesn't matter.

Spotify version 0.5.12.52

Verizon

Username: 1238927010

Only use facebook to login.

Pics are here and here

78 Replies

We seem to have another thread similar to this one where it appears that downloading an older version from  http://m.spotify.com fixes the problem. Maybe give it a try and, if it works, be sure to changee your settings in Google Play to prevent auto updates.

Feedback would be great if you have a moment.

I got in touch with support and they said they are. They better. I've been a loyal premium customer since 2009, supported their mission all the way. If this isn't resolved soon I'll change to another service, Sony maybe..it'll at least work with my phone

Update:  I seem to have "fixed" my white screen problem by download a previous version.  The one I downloaded was  0.5.0.972  which was the first version I saw that had 320 kbps streaming. I got the link from the first link in this thread:  http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/REQUEST-Previous-version-of-the-client-APK/td-p/79997

I'm noticing a pattern here in that with the various apps that are released, people keep going back to previous versions.  /sigh

The only reason I keep dealing with these issues (more issues in recent versions) is because no other service offers freakin playlist folders.  argh!

------------------

I am having this problem on a Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0 running Android 2.3.5 (stock). I did a factory reset and re-installed the latest Android play store app and then Spotify.

Started up spotify to play a song. All ok.

Used native browser to view google news.

Returned to Spotify and saw a white screen and had no control over volume. Shortly afterward the app crashed.

A few gigs are left on the internal SD card. I have not downloaded anything other than the google play store app and Spotify.

I had the same problems before the factory reset when I had more apps installed.

Most of the time if I don't use any apps other than Spotify it's ok.  Going to other apps and returning to Spotify is how I normally get the whtie screen.

jwylot,

This shouldn't be the answer.  Checking the other thread, it does look like at least a similar if not the same issue I'm seeing.  And if so, it has been around for at least 6 months now.  This tells me that regardless of what their tech support e-mail have said in response to my case, they aren't working on it or it would have been resolved before now.

I'll give you kudos for linking the two issues together, but spotify gets a big thumbs down for not having resolved it yet.

I'm told that the Spotify devs are looking at this issue and if reverting to an earlier version gets folk working in the meantime then at least that's something. But yes, the pattern of broken new releases across all platforms is disappointing 😞

@Redeucer wrote:

And yet another update for Android, and still no fix for this problem?  Are you guys even looking at it?  My guess is the answer is no.

We are looking in things, don't worry. We hope to have a fix soon, when we've got to the bottom of what's causing this.

Thanks for your patience, we know it's really frustrating to not be able to use the app.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

My wife and I both are experiencing this.  The only way to get it working is to restart my phone.  It seems to work fine when I first open it after the restart.  Once I switch to another app for a while, and try to open it back up, that is when I experience the blank white screen with a black bar.  The black bar has a menu button, and the menu is blank white also.

My Phone

- Samsung Galaxy S3

- Android 4.1.1

- Spotify v 0.6.0.17

My Wife's Phone

- HTC G2

- Android 2.3.4

- Spotify v 0.6.0.17

This could well be two different issues. For the HTC G2, I suggest going to http://m.spotify.com and installing the spotify app from there. If it works, turn off the autoupdate feature in the Google Play settings.

This shouldn't be happening on the S3 and, as a first step, follow the troubleshooting guide in this post.

Marked as solution

Hey guys, I've posted an update with a fix here: http://bit.ly/10wLGM9

--------------------------------------------------------------

For Twitter support, find us at @SpotifyCares.

Follow me on Spotify.

Thank you Jamie!  Very awesome!  It works!  It works!  And just in time for 7 hours of driving tomorrow.  Thank you!  Thank you!

Still the same for me, not fixed.
I use Android 4.1.1 on htc Desire X, no SD card. I did have older Android until last week but Spotify's never worked on that either. Spotify version is whatever is available 10min ago when I installed it, having deleted it 3 weeks ago.

Hi,

Im having problems and have had for weeks. I'm paying for premium and getting nothing!!

Every time, and I mean every time I get the white screen when I start Spotify, Can't listen to , play or download anything.

I've tried Uninstalling, clear data, android/data/com.spotify thing was even there. I went Through forums and blogs & tried everything, even formated my cell phone and nothing, tried downloading from m.spotify.com/us it says installed even though it's not!

Make/Model: HTC Sensation XE Beats

Android Version 4.0.3

HTC Sense Version : 3.6

software: 30.33.401.153

Spotify Version: 0.6.2.64

Details:

My cell is in great working order, spotify was working up until 2 weeks ago approximately. Now when I freshly install it it asks for my spotify premium details, I enter username and password, they are accepted then I have the white screen. My only option is to press home and go back to HTC home screen, I try again, and as soon as the spotify app launches, the white screen appears.

Attempted solutions are:

Clear data, Force stop, Uninstall, Shut down, Remove Battery, Make a coffee, go grocery shopping, re-install battery, power up, re-install spotify: Overall outcome the same, White screen!

Second solution, format cell, same as above, new OS but no fix, still white screen.

If you like I can upload a link to a short 20 second video of the app launching and showing the problem.

Thanks alot.

PS I would appreciate a free month for not being able to use this app as I am paying for this only, I dont use it on my PC Thanks again XD

Hi,

I am having the same problem.  My Spotify was working perfectly fine until this morning.  When I open, complete white screen.  I have uninstalled, and reinstalled.  If I do this and open from googleplay, I can see the app for about 10 seconds before it goes white.

I have a HTC One

Android 4.1.2

Spotify version 6.2.64

Thanks

Bridget

Description

Annoying white screen after app opens for the first after re-install app

What are the steps you took to get to the error/issue?

(We need to know what you are doing so we can do the exact same to try and get the same error)

1. Installed spotify

2. Log-in with facebook

3. Play a song

4. 10 SECS IN WHITE SCREEN - NO MENU, NO OPTIONS, NADA, ZILCH

What I expected to happen

Normal operation of the app where I can see what I want to play.

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?

Yes

Did you read the connection troubleshooting tips?

Yes

Your device

HTC Evo 3D 4G

Device’s Operating System

Android OS 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)

What type of account do you have?

Premium

Space left on your device

16 GB

Space left on your SD card (if applicable)

8 GB

Space left on your External SD card (if applicable)

n/a

Is your device rooted?

No

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?

No

Did you set your external SD card as storage location?

Yes

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?

No

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?

Yes

If you said "No", when does the issue not occur?

When using WiFi, 2G, 3G, 4G

My mobile Spotify version

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

My mobile provider and country

Sprint

My username

Do you have a Spotify (non-Facebook) login?

No

Are you logging in with Facebook or with your Spotify login details?

Facebook login 

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

No just a white screen

Just adding my voice - same problem and so darn frustrating. how can functionality JUST STOP? Glad my 10 bucks is still flowing into the company though. Thought the new google alternative was a pale imitation, but at least it works.

Me too.   Following upgrade to 0.6.2.64

App ran for less than a day and then went white screen.   I unstalled and reinstalled, resynced my local files, redownloaded my favored lists, and it worked again, but in less than a day, its white screen again.    I'm seeking to restore an earlier version.

on Android 4.1.2.  

Razr M

I'm getting exactly the same on my HTC One

The app opened, logged in and then turned to the 'White Screen of Silence"

If it's not resolved in the next few days, I will have no choice but to cancel my Spotify subscription and use something else.

Looks like it's been going on for months if this thread's anything to go by, so it's not looking very promising!

The phone's running Android 4.1.2 with Sense 5.0 overlay.

Software version : 1.28.771.6

Carrier: Three, Ireland

and it's the latest version of Spotify from the Google Play Store today (07 June)

@SHayne wrote:

Hi,

Im having problems and have had for weeks. I'm paying for premium and getting nothing!!

Every time, and I mean every time I get the white screen when I start Spotify, Can't listen to , play or download anything.

I've tried Uninstalling, clear data, android/data/com.spotify thing was even there. I went Through forums and blogs & tried everything, even formated my cell phone and nothing, tried downloading from m.spotify.com/us it says installed even though it's not!

Make/Model: HTC Sensation XE Beats

Android Version 4.0.3

HTC Sense Version : 3.6

software: 30.33.401.153

Spotify Version: 0.6.2.64

Details:

My cell is in great working order, spotify was working up until 2 weeks ago approximately. Now when I freshly install it it asks for my spotify premium details, I enter username and password, they are accepted then I have the white screen. My only option is to press home and go back to HTC home screen, I try again, and as soon as the spotify app launches, the white screen appears.

Attempted solutions are:

Clear data, Force stop, Uninstall, Shut down, Remove Battery, Make a coffee, go grocery shopping, re-install battery, power up, re-install spotify: Overall outcome the same, White screen!

Second solution, format cell, same as above, new OS but no fix, still white screen.

If you like I can upload a link to a short 20 second video of the app launching and showing the problem.

Thanks alot.

PS I would appreciate a free month for not being able to use this app as I am paying for this only, I dont use it on my PC Thanks again XD

Exactly the same here - phone, software versions, symptoms and attempted resolutions.

On occasion, I find that it will, eventually, start working. If my phone loses power unexpectedly (soft reset, flat battery, etc) then I am back to the white screen

Desperately hoping for a resolution soon. Has a bug report been submitted?

I am having the same exact problem, though my issue has followed me across two different devices, with two different Android versions, two different cellphone carriers,  one having an SD card and another without.   In both cases the phone is set go to lock screen.  This might narrow the implicated issues a little.

Logging in using any of the three options (username, email, or Facebook) has no effect on the issue.

For me, clearing the cache, the data, and force-stop the app allows me to log in again and the app will work... until the next time I go to start it again, usually the next day.  Then it's the white screen. 

- Make / Model of Android device: HTC Incredible on Verizon network
 - Operating System: Android 2.3.4; Baseband 2.15.10.12.20; Kernel ver 2.6.35.13-g22d3486 htc-kernel@and18-2 #1; Build 4.08.605.19 CL539174 release-keys; PRI Version 1.70_002
 - Spotify app version: 0.6.2.64
 - Normal usage of the app for a while, streaming to a bluetooth receiver (Pioneer DEH-X6500BT) while on 3G, then exiting the car.  The app pauses playback.  Bluetooth is then turned off, and I switch to Wireless (I'm either at work or at home).  The white screen appears when attempting to launch the app the next day or even after a few hours passing.  There would be no menu bar on the left.  After a few moments I'd get a popup saying the application had stopped working with Action Spotify, with options to Force Close or Wait.  Choosing Wait would only sit for a while before the popup returned. Clearing the Cache, then the Data, then Force Stop through Android's Manage Applications menu.  Also using a 3rd party app to delete the mtn/sdcard/Android/data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui folder.  After doing this, launching Spotify would bring up the app and logging in would allow the app to work again, but wouldn't start the next day.

I've subsequently switched to a new device and carrier, and the issue has followed me through a new installation of Spotify.

- Make / Model of Android device: Samsung Galaxy 4S on the Sprint network (via reseller)
 - Operating System: Android 4.2.2; Baseband L720VPUAMDL; Kernel ver 3.4.0-529760 se.infra@SEP-107 #1; Build JDQ39.L720VPUAMDL
 - Spotify app version: 0.6.2.64
 - The manner of the white screen appearing is exactly the same as above, with the only difference here that on the Samsung, I actually get the black menu bar on the upper left, which is interactive and will open an all-white window where the menu would be. it can be clicked again and will close, but the application will never report a hang as with the Incredible.  I also don't need to delete the folder on the SD card, as I don't have an external SD, and the folder gets deleted when clearing the cache and data from App Manager.

My theory is that there is an issue with either internationalization and/or urlified characters with usernames.  I have an exclamation point in my username (apparently allowed) yet the cache folder for User shows it as the urlified version of [username]%21-user

At any rate, hopefully a fix comes soon, as having to clear out the data (and any downloaded playlists) is a terrible workaround.

Hopefully this info may help.

my solution... open new account with new login name and password... if you can login and use the account log out... log back in with your original user name and password. the white screen of death is gone in all my playlist are there they will need to be downloaded again. good luck I hope it works as well for you!

Suggested posts