Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Save to SD Card

Solved!

Save to SD Card

As a newbie who has just purchased a Samsung S3 mini I do not know how to download music to my memory card in order to listen to music offline.

Could you advise which app download from the app store as currently I am "working blind" - my phone is syncing on my pc but I cannot see what is actually happening on the phone .

I am thinking of switching from O2 to Giff Gaff to gain unlimited streaming.  It is an o2 subsidiary.  Good or bad idea do you think?  I thought this might solve the hassle of constantly downloading.  When they say "unlimited internet" do they mean "unlimited data allowance" - and would this also lead to the drop out problem if I stream in my car as opposed to downloading to an SD card.

I am hoping if I manage this I can do the same with Google Play and leave Itunes forever.

Any opinions?  Cheers.

58 Replies

and this will make the downloads go on the sd card instead of the internal memory of the phone?

Ah, I just went back to your first post and it looks like something got lost along the way 😞

If you're using the Note 3, the odds are that you're running android 4.4.2 in which case, you're probably going to have to live with the cache being stored in internal storage. This is down to restrictions implemented in the last android release which prevent third party apps from writing to public folders on an external SD card. There's a lot of information about this on various sites - search on "android 4.4.2 SD card".

Hopefully, Spotify will come up with a solution - if a solution is possible.

hi, yes i am running 4.4.2. but so i was before the last update on spotify and i had 30gb of songs nicely stored on my sd card.

now the operating system is the same, 4.4.2. the only thing that changed is spotify with a new update, and suddenly i can't use the sd card anymore?

so it can't be a problem with android. It has to do with spotify last update. Or am i wrong?

The old cache was probably in place before the horrid android update so spotify was able to read/write to it. The new app ignores the old cache and creates a new one which it now can't write to the external SD card.

hmm you are probably right, this means that there is no solution besides rooting the phone and installing sdfix?

At the moment, yes.

Hi, 

I recently installed spotify premium on to my samsung phone so  I have music to listen to on the plane on holiday. The downloaded playlists have downloaded on to my external sd card (which I wanted). However, i'm also going to use this sd card to put movies on as well for the flight. I was going to listen to spotify on my phone and then when I felt like watching a movie simply pop my sd card in to my samsung tablet. My samsung tablet also has the spotify app on it. I was wondering, if I move my sd card from samsung phone to samsung tablet when it has all my playlists downloaded on it, will I lose all my music and have to re download it on my phone again when I put my sd card back in to it, or will my music stay on the sd card and be able to be played both on my tablet and phone? 

Thanks 

As long as you don't change any of the files in the Spotify folder on the SD card, and the phone remains off when the card is removed I don't think it should be an issue.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

What worked for me:

1. Clear data and cache from Spotify

2. Uninstall the app

3. Delete the folder from Spotify at android/data if it's not deleted by uninstalling the app

4. Put some big files like videos at your internal memory of your phone phone. Let just like 1GB free internal memory (I had even 1.8GB free, but I have to mention that my Spotify music was around 4GB)

5. Format SD card (I read it somewhere lol)

6. Install Spotify

7. Set download quality to Extreme in Spotify options

8. Enjoy downloading to your SD card

P.S. you can verify if it really goes at SD by going in your phone options/storage, you will see internal memory stable, and SD card getting full over time 😉

Running Android: 4.4.2

hey,
I have been using spotify for a few days and have just got a micro SD card I have tried all the methods on here but still to no prevail and my phone only has 4GB of internal memory 😕 neeeeeed help!! 

Have you read this fully?

[GUIDE] How to fix common issues for Spotify on Android

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

How do I move songs from phone memory to SD card?

I signed up to Spotify Premium in January 2015. I got a 32 GB SD card in February. I’ve been downloading music to listen to offline and have just found that my Samsung S3 mini phone memory (built-in memory) is full and none of my downloaded music has gone to the SD card. Pretty frustrating. I’ve looked up the community advice. Uninstall and Reinstall Spotify – done, but makes no difference. Now I see an option to delete all from Spotify except the app itself. Have I really got to take this option and start again downloading everything with a new destination (ie SD card) or is there a SIMPLE way to just MOVE my songs from phone memory to SD card?

Marked as solution

@robbiespence wrote:

How do I move songs from phone memory to SD card?

I signed up to Spotify Premium in January 2015. I got a 32 GB SD card in February. I’ve been downloading music to listen to offline and have just found that my Samsung S3 mini phone memory (built-in memory) is full and none of my downloaded music has gone to the SD card. Pretty frustrating. I’ve looked up the community advice. Uninstall and Reinstall Spotify – done, but makes no difference. Now I see an option to delete all from Spotify except the app itself. Have I really got to take this option and start again downloading everything with a new destination (ie SD card) or is there a SIMPLE way to just MOVE my songs from phone memory to SD card?

Some people have had luck with Apps2SD apps on the Play Store. You could always try manually moving the \Android\data\com.spotify.music\ folder from your phone memory to the sd memory then reboot!

It may then detect the new location and continue using it; else it may become corrupt and you will then have to perform a clean install; the guide details the steps to take to ensure a full 'clean installation' is achieved - This includes checking redundant folders and a REBOOT!

Android Troubleshooting:

Great suggestion, thanks, but (even using the PC search tool on the Phone
folders) I cannot find a folder to move called "Android\data\com.spotify.
music"

@robbiespence wrote:
Great suggestion, thanks, but (even using the PC search tool on the Phone
folders) I cannot find a folder to move called "Android\data\com.spotify.
music"

Really? And this is while the app is installed? Can you try just navigating to the data folder and seeing if there's anything in there (scroll down) where alphabetically 'com.spotfy....' would be?

Dont forget to search both your internal memory as well as external SD

Android Troubleshooting:

Hey, Just need a bit of help.

I have followed all previous suggestions. And my memory actually says that i have 7gb of spotify data saved onto my SD card. However, my phone is now saying its memory is full. And it increases when i download more spotify songs. So i guess that means the data is still saved to the device or maybe it is saved to both. What options do i have to fix this? Nothing else on my phone could be taking up so much memory.

Thanks

J

I am getting ready to swap out a malfunctioning Samsung Avant for another "pre owned" since even I'd under warranty, will nvr get new, and I also want to use ex SD card to hold as uch as possible. So if I do what's instructed, clear Spotify, will I loose my music? If I swirch phones & Spotify is not on Ext SD card will it be lost anyway?

"So if you want to change it from builtin memory, just re-install app and it will automatically choose then best place. If you have Micro-SD that is lower tham builtin in memory, just fullfill your builtin memory with some videos etc. (you can delete those videos then after successfull install of Spotify to external memory)."

So, uh, how is this a good coding practice in 2015? Are you serious there is no other way to manage our downloads?

Are you telling me I have to delete and redownload all my music to reinstall the app. (More bandwidth) to do something because Spotify is the only app that cant just move app to SD card button

Suggested posts