Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Android App Always Offline

Solved!

Spotify Android App Always Offline

Spotify only ever reports me as Offline using the Android app. I know I have an active internet connection on the device (The Transformer TF101 if you're interested), so that's not the problem. I can (sort of) solve the issue by reinstalling Spotify. But that solution only works for about 5 minutes, and then the Spotify app reports me as offline again. 

This is the primary reason that I upgraded to Spotify Premium, so unless the app is fixed in the very near future, or I receive some sort of compensation, I'm going to have to drop Spotify Premium from my account. 

P.S.: I have Spotify Desktop connected to teh same wi-fi that the Android device is connected to, and I have no problems with it.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Well, I guess you can try to uninstall it, delete the Spotify data folder in Android/Data/, and then reinstall it and see if it helps. 

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Yeah, I've tried that already.  Was suggested to me a little while ago.  No luck.

Marked as solution

I had the same issue, try logging out of your profile. Then re-open the app and sign back in. It seemed to work for me.

Marked as solution

Very much unsolved. Waiting somewhat patiently.

Marked as solution

Same issue here - Spotify works perfectly well on the desktop and an iPhone, but using the Asus Transformer Prime TF201 it continously reports me to be offline. Synching seems to work, but I am still unable to play any of the songs in offline mode...

I hope this issue will be fixed soon! (Maybe someone can remove the "solved" tag to this thread).

Cheers!

Marked as solution

Done.  I didn't mark the reply as the solution myself, so I wasn't even aware it had been marked.

Marked as solution

Maybe this thread my be interesting for most of you:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/Spotify-keeps-putting-Transformer-Prime-in-offline-mo...

Spotify does not support a variety of devices (incl. the Transformer) - read yourself...

Marked as solution

I don't even know what a transformer prime is, and my spotify is stuck in offline mode more often than not.... like right now for example.

it appears that spotify on android is completely broken, really not worth paying for and there arent even any vague reassuring noises from developers about it getting fixed soon, let alone actual evidence.

Had there been even a message unspecifically promising some fixes next month or whatever, I probably would have sucked it up and kept paying -- but since even that seems too much to ask  I have just cancelled my premium subscription and will definitely advise everyone else considering it I know that this 'service' is not worth paying for at present.  Perhaps when I see an updated client and this forum is full of something other than unanimous complaints that it doesn't work and unanimous silence from the company, i will start paying that extra fiver/month again.

Marked as solution

Again me to this morning worked perfecty and now again offline....WHY..

I still have a few days till I have to pay. Is it worth it?.

Marked as solution

For those of you with phones, as opposed to tablets, install the preview release: http://www.spotify.com/download/previews/
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Marked as solution

I also have a tablet (Acer A500) and the app is always offline - I also use a samsung S2 which works great so Spotify just need to resolve for tablets. Outside of this issue its a great service and all we need is folders to be able to be used on mobile devices

Marked as solution

This problem started happening to me when I gave my sister my spotify details so she could use them, if you have someone else using your account this could be the problem?

Marked as solution

I have had this problem for six months, when i first signed up for premium. I'm not quite sure why I've paid anyone I dime, but I keep doing it in hopes that it will start working. I upgraded to the new version of the android app and I'm still having the same problem that everyone else is. 

WIth all due respect to whoever at Spotify is (hopefully) moderating this conversation, your software is broken. You offer an incredible product that has the capability to beat iTunes and be on every computer, phone and tablet in America (or anywhere, for that matter). But how can we use the product if it doesn't function correctly? It's a testament to Spotify's utility that I've paid nearly 100 dollars despite receiving nothing I was promised in return. That will no longer continue. 

Reluctantly, I am no longer a customer.

Marked as solution

Any way the solution that i use for now. Works.
I use a device where spotify works (experia arc) to create a play list,
Then i use my tablet to download this playlist to use offline, then i lay away my tablet or goin gto use a other app.
And magic happens after a while i can play the songs off line in the playlist
🙂 talking about stupid apps

Marked as solution

Unfortunately anyone can mark any post (except their own) as a solution and there doesn't seem to be any way for the original poster to control the acceptance of this solution.
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Marked as solution

Had this issue and it drove me nuts every time I checked it. Searched for a solution for the problem and it brought me to this thread. I ended up doing a couple things, and seems to work now... Here's what I did:

Logged out of my Spotify Accounts on  my computers (have it on two computers, one was currently active/playing)

In the app, I clicked on the little icon next to Playlists at the top to bring up the menu and tapped on Settings

On that screen, I went all the way to the bottom and clicked on "Log out" to sign out of Spotify, then closed the app.

Restarted it and got the "Welcome to Spotify" screen, with the two login options (Facebook or Spotify.com details).

I logged in again, in my case with Facebook, and was back to my Playlists screen.

My Spotify was no longer offline and I could download some of my playlists (I'm a premium user with that option). I thought, cool at least I could download my playlists and listen to them offline now (it would always hang on the download before at 0% with the spinning indicator). To my surprise though, I clicked on some songs on a playlist I didn't download and the song started playing/streaming. Even better. It works again!

I didn't do a full debug, but I had spotify open and logged in on two different computers (my laptop that I work from away from home, and a desktop at home). I notice when I started playing a song on my computer, the app streaming would pause and vice versa. In fact, in the program it pops up a little message that says "streaming has paused because we've detected spotify being run somewhere else" (or something to that effect).

That doesn't bother me though, I'm just glad it works again on my phone.

I'm using Spotify for Windows on the computers and my phone is a Samsung Galaxy S / Epic 4g.

Nonetheless, hope this helps someone who is having the same issue.

Thanks to the person earlier in the thread who mentioned Spotify's location limits. That lead me to wonder if, at least for me, it got hung up somewhere between all the places I had it open and prompted me to log out of everywhere and then log into it on the phone first, then on the PC.

67 Replies
Marked as solution

Well, I guess you can try to uninstall it, delete the Spotify data folder in Android/Data/, and then reinstall it and see if it helps. 

Marked as solution

Yeah, I've tried that already.  Was suggested to me a little while ago.  No luck.

Marked as solution

I had the same issue, try logging out of your profile. Then re-open the app and sign back in. It seemed to work for me.

Hello,

Another thing you might want to try is changing / resetting your password. Bizarrely, this seems to work sometimes.
Airhorn Enthusiast

Okay, I'll give that a shot.

Edit:

Steps taken:

Changed Password on Facebook

Logged out of Spotify Mobil

Cleared Spotify cache

Uninstalled and then reinstalled Spotify

Result:

For the moment, Spotify is working.  I'll play it by ear form here.  Thanks!

Edit2:

Well, that didn't work for long.  Stopped working again.

I have this exact issue on this same device (Asus TF101) and the same exact motives for upgrading to spotify premium.

the issue is very hit and miss, seems like 90% of the time I am reported as offline and then sometimes (seemingly randomly) it just wants to work again...

I am really wanting a fix for this, and while I'm here *ranting* I'd like to be able to see my play queue on the android app too.

Mike

I have the LG Thrill from ATT and like everyone else it doesn't work. I can't even see on the mobile app where my device is

I can't even listen to any songs in offline mode. I get a pop up that says Must be premium user, sync from computer. i thought in offline mode you could listen to your songs in your playlists

Why is this case listed as solved?

Marked as solution

Very much unsolved. Waiting somewhat patiently.

The same issue here, always offline, several days already - Android 2.3.5 on HTC Desire HD, spotify premium. 

Same problem for both WiFi and 3G, rebooting/reinstalling does not help

working perfect on my desktop

Marked as solution

Same issue here - Spotify works perfectly well on the desktop and an iPhone, but using the Asus Transformer Prime TF201 it continously reports me to be offline. Synching seems to work, but I am still unable to play any of the songs in offline mode...

I hope this issue will be fixed soon! (Maybe someone can remove the "solved" tag to this thread).

Cheers!

Marked as solution

Done.  I didn't mark the reply as the solution myself, so I wasn't even aware it had been marked.

Marked as solution

Maybe this thread my be interesting for most of you:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/Spotify-keeps-putting-Transformer-Prime-in-offline-mo...

Spotify does not support a variety of devices (incl. the Transformer) - read yourself...

Marked as solution

I don't even know what a transformer prime is, and my spotify is stuck in offline mode more often than not.... like right now for example.

it appears that spotify on android is completely broken, really not worth paying for and there arent even any vague reassuring noises from developers about it getting fixed soon, let alone actual evidence.

Had there been even a message unspecifically promising some fixes next month or whatever, I probably would have sucked it up and kept paying -- but since even that seems too much to ask  I have just cancelled my premium subscription and will definitely advise everyone else considering it I know that this 'service' is not worth paying for at present.  Perhaps when I see an updated client and this forum is full of something other than unanimous complaints that it doesn't work and unanimous silence from the company, i will start paying that extra fiver/month again.

This issue still pops up regularly for me too, on a Nexus Galaxy (Android 4.0.2). Usually it starts shortly after adding a track to an offline playlist. The first symptom is the Application Not Responding action. Waiting is useless (I tried for over an hour), force quit doesn't help either. This issue exists for a real long time now, this is really bad!!! BTW Spotify devs: *if* you're actually reading this community: get in touch and I'm willing to help in debugging.

I have the same problem on my Sony Tablet S with Android 3.2

Sometimes it is online for a few minutes but about 98% of the time is stays offline.

Very annoying, since I'm paying for the Premium. It would be very nice if it works on mobile devices then...

Hopefully this can be resolved very soon.

Marked as solution

Again me to this morning worked perfecty and now again offline....WHY..

I still have a few days till I have to pay. Is it worth it?.

I have the same Problem on my Acer Iconia 500 Tablet....Already changed my Password, Installed the ne Preview...

Nothing happens, short connected, than offline.

Suggested posts