Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify PC can't find my Android Phone

Solved!

Spotify PC can't find my Android Phone

Spotify can't find my Android Phone, it doesn't show up in the Devices list and I can't sync my local MP3 playlists to it.

Both the PC and Spotify are on the same network. Both Spotifys are logged in to the same account and can access the internet and play music. Online-Playlists are synced to the phone immediately and I can download online music no problem. I just can't sync my local MP3 playlists to the phone because it doesn't show up in the list of devices.

I have this issue both at my home computer and my office computer on another network. It's never worked on my home computer, but it worked on the office computer until a few weeks ago. I had a few weeks of sick leave and when I came back that computer couldn't find the phone anymore either.

I tried reinstalling the app on the phone and on both computers. Firewalls are not blocking traffic and antivir is not interfering. My Spotify account is premium of course.

I'd really like for this to work again!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I dont know what fixed it. I tried a lot of different solutions and suttently it worked again 

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I know this thread is closed, but I found a possible solution when it comes to Windows 7 and 8 PCs. You need to make sure your network is "Private" and not "Public" and that network discovery is turned on. Otherwise, Spotify won't find your unit.

View solution in original post

23 Replies

Hmmm sounds pretty odd.

So you have your Spotify app open on the mobile device and its connected to the same network as your desktop PC?

I have my laptop over wifi, and my Android is connected to the same wifi. I have my Windows app open on my laptop and the mobile app is open on my Android, and the device shows under devices right away.

IDEAS: Device Management | Recover Deleted Items

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

Exactly. I have both open right now and am looking at them. The phone is connected to the wi-fi network, I can see it in my router and ping it from the PC.

I added a new playlist on the PC and it showed up in the list on the phone within a second. It's the same account and the same local network. Kinda driving me mad.

I just completely reinstalled Spotify on both the PC and the phone, including restarting the devices after uninstalling and manually removing and leftover configuration. No change at all. Still can't see the phone.

Is Spotify listed in the firewall with a rule to allow it, or have you tried completely to disable the firewall for a while and see if it helps.

If you are running a Internet Protection Suite they usually have Firewall + Antivirus software both + there is the WIndows Firewall to take care of.

IDEAS: Device Management | Recover Deleted Items

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

Hi there,

I have EXACT same problem as mentioned within the original post of this thread.

Cannot figure out for the life of me how to resolve this:

+ Connected to the same Wi-Fi networks on mobile and PC.

+ Logged in with same details using my premium Spotify account.

+ Using McAfee firewall, 'full' access is setup for Spotify.

+ Downloaded my playlists to my Samsung Galaxy S3 device.

- My local files on PC don't download to my Spotify playlist on my Android device.

- I've uninstalled the app on my Samsung and then re-downloaded the playlist, still no luck.

I really hope someone can help here, at my wits end!

I have also carried out the below steps on my mobile:

Once you have imported your own music files into Spotify on your desktop computer, you can use Spotify to listen to all your own music files on your mobile. First, add your tracks to a playlist. Then set that playlist as “Available offline” in your mobile app.

It seems to have fixed itself after tinkering around a bit. Not sure if any of the below actually helped but it's worth trying if anyone else comes across the same issue:

• Connect the mobile device to your PC/Laptop where the local files stored via USB.
  • Within Spotify select a playlist which includes local files, right click a playlist and select 'available offline' on the PC/Laptop.

After carrying out one of the above steps or just through sheer luck I've managed to get Spotify on my PC to recognise my Samsung again, this now appears within my device list and asks which playslists I want to sync with the device.

I have done eeeeverything that you all mentionned here and I am desperate to admit it but: nothing works. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3, connected to the same Wi-Fi network as my compture (Windows). I have even sent an e-mail to Spotify. Waiting for their reply...

@ravoravo wrote:

I have done eeeeverything that you all mentionned here and I am desperate to admit it but: nothing works. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3, connected to the same Wi-Fi network as my compture (Windows). I have even sent an e-mail to Spotify. Waiting for their reply...

Sorry if you have already tried this, but have you tried completely disabling Windows firewall? 

My brother got his to work last night by disabling it 😉 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I'm having the same exact problem with my Samsung Exhibit...I've been using spotify with this phone for a year with no problems. Now my device will not not show up on my PC (Windows 7).... PC and phone are on the same wifi, both logged in with facebook (Also tried logging both in with User name), checked firewall settings, phone is online. I got nothing. If I add a playist it will show up on my phone but as soon as I go "offline" it's are greyed out. Even if I download the playlist via the app it doesn't work offline.. I live in NYC so I listen on my phone "offline" 90% of the time. 

PLEASE HAAALP!

HURRAAAAY!

Mine has finally been recognized! Honestly, I have absolutely no idea of which solution was the most adapted to my situation but all I know is that I have done everything people said previously. I was done with all the unistalling/rebooting/unblocking and-so-on process, when I ceased any other attempt. Then this little notification with the name of my phone finally showed up. 

I really wonder if you'll find my answer helpful but ... good luck! 

I recently had a similar issue when I switched from my HTC Desire to a Nexus 4. The Nexus wasn't recognized by Spotify until I physically conencted it to the PC with a USB cable (the HTC had been fine). I synced a playlist, disconnected the USB and found that the phone could then be discovered over wifi no problem.

When I first connected the phone to the PC, Windows obviously installed relevant device drivers - I wonder if this what is necessary for the wifi to function? Doesn't seem likely, but hey.

I synced my local files from my laptop to my phone the other day, then I cleared the cache (doh!) so I lost the synced files. 

I took my laptop into my office and connected both my phone and laptop to the same network but couldn't get the two to sync up. Once I left the office I turned on my wifi hotspot on my phone and boom, my laptopcould see my phone. 

Lesson is... some network setups will not allow spotify to talk to your phone and vice versa so check your connection. I'm guessing the internet at work is super secure, for instance in windows 7 whilst connected to my work internet I cannot see my office computer under the network tab despite being on the same network. Something to look out for, no idea how to fix the solution, I'm just happy I got mine to work! 

Hope this helps some of you struggling! 

Opening the firerwall did it for me.  Immediately saw my devise.

I have ESET Endpoint protection installed. I temporarily disabled this and my phone now syncs so it's something to do with that. I'll investigate.

Edit: I think it was Setup -> Web and Email -> Protocol Filtering -> Excluded Applications and tick the box for spotify to be excluded from the filtering. Would appear to still be working,

I have the same problem. I'm tryin to connect my Huawei Y300. Worked in fall 2013 but failed after updating APP. Whould realy like it to work again soon!

@Bella-Puella Try temporarily disabling any firewalls, anti-virus and other security software on your PC and make sure that UPnP is enabled on your router.

here's what i did when i had the same problem. right click on the spotify icon on your pc/laptop> OPEN AS ADMIN. 

Marked as solution

I dont know what fixed it. I tried a lot of different solutions and suttently it worked again 

Suggested posts