Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify will not sync my local files to my android device

Solved!

Spotify will not sync my local files to my android device

Spotify will not sync my local files to my android device, solution?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Okay, so I have been struggling with this exact problem, and I fixed it by simply opening the Windows Firewall and unblocking Spotify from public and private networks. For some reason, there were two files named "spotify.exe" One was allowed on private, the other on public. I simply allowed both on both files and the files started syncing onto my phone. 

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I was about to switch to a different music provider for laptop and phone...

Tried deleting the cache...  Almost deleted the app to reinstall.

Found this post.  Changed the Windows firewall settings to allow Spotify (I also have 2 entries in the firewall settings) on domain and home networks for both files (currently on a home network, decided against allowing it on public).

Still wasn't working for local files even though downloads for "normal" Spotify songs were working.  

Realize avast also has its own firewall and it was blocking Spotify.  Set my network type to private on avast internet security and now mine are working as well.  

Thanks for the tip in the right direction, btsheehy.  

View solution in original post

24 Replies

What do you mean by 'will not' - you'll need to describe your problem in a bit more detail. Do you see youy device listed in the Device section in the Spotify Windows/Mac app? What device do you have? Have you tried restarting it?
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

I assume he has the same problem as I do, which is that the spotify mobile app is currently unable to handle local files, no matter if they're on the phone already or were copied from a 'master' desktop client while synchronizing - something that worked perfectly well with an older version of the mobile app.

On one hand, I have mp3 files on the phone itself - most of them known to spotify - and when I set the playlist to download, the app doesn't download them a second time, which makes sense. However, when I play one of those songs, the app still streams them from the web, which led to me burning through half my dataplan allowance by the 9th of this month. Not funny.

On the other, spotify also refuses to synch mp3s that aren't registered with spotify to my phone, which is infuriating since they come from CDs I've bought. Playlists that contain such files are also listed as pending synchronization in the desktop client.

I will be downgrading my subscription to Spotify Unlimited until the problem has been resolved, unless somebody points me to a solution of course. Once everything works again like it bloody used to, I'll be happy to pay the premium price again.

Same issues here, that and I am a free user. Which I should be able to listen TO MY OWN MUSIC without paying a sub to someone. I use other applications that do the same thing Spotify does.

Which is sad, I really like the design, layout of the app, as well as love their radio programing, better then most.(at least on the desktop)  But not letting me listen to my own music on my phone is a burning at the stake offense. So I'm uninstalling your app today, which I really wanted to use. Your competitors give me what I require.

Hope you guys have plenty of rope to choke yourselves with. Cause you all could have been superstars, but decided to drop the ball on the populace.

not sure why spotify isn't responding to this directly.  i have an android phone, premium spotify service.  i can easily sync my spotify songs to my phone, but i can't sync my files that are local to my desktop to my phone. i can add the songs to my playlists, they show on my mobile, but they don't sync.  i pay for premium and part of the promise of spotify is that i can synch my local desktop files to my mobile.  but i can't.  please answer.

I am in the exact same boat. Followed the instructions on the FAQ, things are synced to the same network, but no luck. If theres no fix for this I'll probably be canceling my premium sub for my phone, so itd be nice to know if this is being worked on or not. 

Create a playlist for example Local tracks, drag and drop the songs from your local files folder to the local tracks playlist. Go to Devices, check that your device shows "connected" ( should appear below the devices text, mine show GT-N7000 ), then select the manually choose playlists to sync
and then select the local tracks playlist. It should start syncin and when syncin is done files should be able to play from mobile.

https://www.spotify.com/uk/get-spotify/overview/ shows the over view of different features available.

IDEAS: Device Management | Recover Deleted Items

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

This is the method I have been using and have been having the same problem. Any tracks that Spotify actually has gets downloaded, but no local files do.

What's also strange, is that most of the downloaded tracks (that Spotify has) don't have the green downloaded icon next to them, although they are downloaded. I verified by running the app in offline mode and by switching my phone to airplane mode.

Edit: I've also used the same method on my iPad and everything works flawlessly. All local files transfer. Looks to be an android app issue

this is all very frustrating. I have spent the past 6 hours reading posts and more posts that show hundreds of people have the same problem. I have premium, the files are not only on my PC but also on my android as well. I have newest app version. I have unisntalled and reinstalled multiple times, and it syncs some songs, but not all. Some from the same CD I have and ripped with itunes! How can it sync some and not others?

This is just junk, and very frustrating. This is supposed to be easy, but it seems easier to just buy all songs and use them, because whatever spotify does not have I cannot sync properly. Come on!!!

Hi. Can you post a screenshot from you desktop client showing the tracks in one of the playlists you're having trouble with and a screenshot of the same playlist on your mobile device. On the basis that a picture saves a thousand words, we'll save tons of typing 🙂

Yeah, I'm having the same problem. I'm inclined to think that it was a recent update that has messed things up. For some reason, local songs I synced about a month ago has seamlessly made its way into my playlists on my phone. However, just recenty, as I added new music through the exact same methods, they are greyed out on my phone and says "track is unavaialble". The older songs I believe are now stored on my phone and so they are syncing fine, but this isn't happening with the new songs I am trying to sync. Hoping that a fix comes soon.

This is a very old thread an, as far as I know, there are no current bugs affecting synching files. Could you follow the steps in this post and post the template information if they don't resolve your problem.

Hey, thanks for your message. You were right, there wasn't any problem. I was on the same wireless for syncing purposes, but my Spotify didn't recognize my android device when I was using my University's internet. There was recognition once I got back and used my home wireless. Now I'm listening to my local music on the go!

As for the old thread, I misread the year. It seemed like the thread had started yesterday, and that my problem wasn't unique. Lol. Thanks again.

No worries - prolly some sort of filtering/firewall at uni 🙂

I just wanted to point I've been dealing with this problem since about the end of 2012 and I have been trying to get back in the habit of using Spotify as my main app but this problem describe in this forum still plaques my device which also use to be able to sync files fine. I already had someone from spotifuggle look at the problem on the @SpotifyCares twitter account but they didn't have a solution as such I would like to make everyone possible aware of this problem and that it still persists.

@SlumDogEpiphany If you post the information listed in the template here, we can try some more troubleshooting if you like.

Marked as solution

Okay, so I have been struggling with this exact problem, and I fixed it by simply opening the Windows Firewall and unblocking Spotify from public and private networks. For some reason, there were two files named "spotify.exe" One was allowed on private, the other on public. I simply allowed both on both files and the files started syncing onto my phone. 

Marked as solution

I was about to switch to a different music provider for laptop and phone...

Tried deleting the cache...  Almost deleted the app to reinstall.

Found this post.  Changed the Windows firewall settings to allow Spotify (I also have 2 entries in the firewall settings) on domain and home networks for both files (currently on a home network, decided against allowing it on public).

Still wasn't working for local files even though downloads for "normal" Spotify songs were working.  

Realize avast also has its own firewall and it was blocking Spotify.  Set my network type to private on avast internet security and now mine are working as well.  

Thanks for the tip in the right direction, btsheehy.  

I did change these settings but the files still won't sync with my phone. I'm a premium user and this never had a problem before the most recent update. Any other ideas?

This totally worked for me! Thank you!

Suggested posts