Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Music Fan
tullvika
Accepted Solution

Spotify will not sync my local files to my android device

Spotify will not sync my local files to my android device, solution?
Posted from Facebook
Community Legend
licenced

Re: Spotify will not sync my local files to my android device

What do you mean by 'will not' - you'll need to describe your problem in a bit more detail. Do you see youy device listed in the Device section in the Spotify Windows/Mac app? What device do you have? Have you tried restarting it?
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence
Music Lover
Thoem-E

[ Edited ]

I assume he has the same problem as I do, which is that the spotify mobile app is currently unable to handle local files, no matter if they're on the phone already or were copied from a 'master' desktop client while synchronizing - something that worked perfectly well with an older version of the mobile app.

On one hand, I have mp3 files on the phone itself - most of them known to spotify - and when I set the playlist to download, the app doesn't download them a second time, which makes sense. However, when I play one of those songs, the app still streams them from the web, which led to me burning through half my dataplan allowance by the 9th of this month. Not funny.

On the other, spotify also refuses to synch mp3s that aren't registered with spotify to my phone, which is infuriating since they come from CDs I've bought. Playlists that contain such files are also listed as pending synchronization in the desktop client.

I will be downgrading my subscription to Spotify Unlimited until the problem has been resolved, unless somebody points me to a solution of course. Once everything works again like it bloody used to, I'll be happy to pay the premium price again.

Music Fan
BrandX

[ Edited ]

Same issues here, that and I am a free user. Which I should be able to listen TO MY OWN MUSIC without paying a sub to someone. I use other applications that do the same thing Spotify does.

Which is sad, I really like the design, layout of the app, as well as love their radio programing, better then most.(at least on the desktop)  But not letting me listen to my own music on my phone is a burning at the stake offense. So I'm uninstalling your app today, which I really wanted to use. Your competitors give me what I require.

Hope you guys have plenty of rope to choke yourselves with. Cause you all could have been superstars, but decided to drop the ball on the populace.

Concert Regular
gregfalcione

not sure why spotify isn't responding to this directly.  i have an android phone, premium spotify service.  i can easily sync my spotify songs to my phone, but i can't sync my files that are local to my desktop to my phone. i can add the songs to my playlists, they show on my mobile, but they don't sync.  i pay for premium and part of the promise of spotify is that i can synch my local desktop files to my mobile.  but i can't.  please answer.

Music Fan
Iruka

I am in the exact same boat. Followed the instructions on the FAQ, things are synced to the same network, but no luck. If theres no fix for this I'll probably be canceling my premium sub for my phone, so itd be nice to know if this is being worked on or not. 

neo-x
Kudos: 2,006
Solutions: 70

[ Edited ]

Create a playlist for example Local tracks, drag and drop the songs from your local files folder to the local tracks playlist. Go to Devices, check that your device shows "connected" ( should appear below the devices text, mine show GT-N7000 ), then select the manually choose playlists to sync
and then select the local tracks playlist. It should start syncin and when syncin is done files should be able to play from mobile.

https://www.spotify.com/uk/get-spotify/overview/ shows the over view of different features available.

IDEAS: Device Management | Recover Deleted Items

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

Music Fan
akows

[ Edited ]

This is the method I have been using and have been having the same problem. Any tracks that Spotify actually has gets downloaded, but no local files do.

What's also strange, is that most of the downloaded tracks (that Spotify has) don't have the green downloaded icon next to them, although they are downloaded. I verified by running the app in offline mode and by switching my phone to airplane mode.

Edit: I've also used the same method on my iPad and everything works flawlessly. All local files transfer. Looks to be an android app issue

Music Fan
ramonesfan

this is all very frustrating. I have spent the past 6 hours reading posts and more posts that show hundreds of people have the same problem. I have premium, the files are not only on my PC but also on my android as well. I have newest app version. I have unisntalled and reinstalled multiple times, and it syncs some songs, but not all. Some from the same CD I have and ripped with itunes! How can it sync some and not others?

This is just junk, and very frustrating. This is supposed to be easy, but it seems easier to just buy all songs and use them, because whatever spotify does not have I cannot sync properly. Come on!!!

Joe
I'm a Community Rock Star

Hi. Can you post a screenshot from you desktop client showing the tracks in one of the playlists you're having trouble with and a screenshot of the same playlist on your mobile device. On the basis that a picture saves a thousand words, we'll save tons of typing :)

Joe
I don't work for Spotify, I'm just here for the beer music

Check out my collaborative audiobook playlist

Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.