Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Turn off Spotify Connect

Solved!

Turn off Spotify Connect

How do I disable Spotify Connect?  

If I've got my tablet (iPad) running the app, I definitely don't want my phone running it and draining the battery with the app running there as well.

Thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit by @Daniel 

I've just added a guide on ways of disabling Spotify Connect. Hopefully there will be a way of enabling/disabling the service at will in the future.

How to disable Spotify Connect

MODERATOR EDIT:

Hey everyone, Spotify staff here. Recently we updated the Community Idea "Make Spotify Connect a choice" with the status "Not Right Now".

If you've installed our latest Spotify app for Android (1.8.0) and you're still having trouble with battery drain please let us know right here. 

We'd also like to mention these other Connect ideas which are a bit more specific to the Connectrequests you've made in this thread. Please leave your kudos and feedback in those as well if they apply to the reasons you'd like to turn off Spotify Connect.

If you don't see the idea you'd like to see, please feel free to make a new idea and post a link in this thread. We're keeping a close eye on your feedback and we're actively bringing it back to the right teams. 
437 Replies

@meahtenoha wrote:

Hey everyone, 

Thanks for coming to the Community with your questions and feedback. Of course we want any and all feedback on Connect--both positive and negative. 

We are passing on your comments from both this thread and this idea internally. If we have any updates we will post here first. Thanks again everyone.

Hey Meredith,

Any information when the multiple ongoing issues with Spotify Connect are going to be fixed? Are the Spotfiy team even working on them?

We've heard absolutely nothing from Spotify so far! This really isn't good customer service from Spotify!

If Spotify could at least let us know they're looking at it and what fixes they intend to implement, and if possible some sort of estimate on when we might see them, that might go some way towards these issues being less annoying.

Spotify never give an solution for problems..

I stop my premium acount.

Everybody should do that till they come with answers...

When i play music with my PC i don't want my phone to start working also ?

I find this the most stupid option Spotify ever added.

For me reason enough to stop using spotify ...

But  the app running in the backround isn't actually really draining your battery. It talks to the servers and just report what song is playing etc. It's not gonna drain your battery in any noticable way.

When i fully close spotify i have at the end of the day 25% more battery left.

@Skagerström

That's simply not true. At the end of a typical day my phone (Nexus 5) has a 10-15% charge left. My top 3 battery eaters usually are...

1. Screen

2. Google Services

3. Spotify

Spotify uses more battery on my phone than the Android OS. It's absurd.

@Skagerström wrote:

But  the app running in the backround isn't actually really draining your battery. It talks to the servers and just report what song is playing etc. It's not gonna drain your battery in any noticable way.

Screenshot_2014-11-20-09-58-41.png

I keep force quitting the app, yet it continues to auto-restart and show what my computer is playing. It's also accounts for 11% of my current battery drain as a background-only app.

@Skagerström wrote:

Sorry to tell you, but that's simply false. Unless an application is doing something useful, Android phones will drop into what is known as "deep sleep". The processor slows down to its lowest speed to reduce power consumption. When an application requests a wakelock to run some code (check for updates, grab a push notification, etc), the processor must speed up to accomodate this. 

When Spotify Connect activates on our phones, the CPU ramps up to accomodate the request. The entire time that the media controls are active, your phone is draining more battery than normal. 

If I'm having to give up an hour of screen-on-time for a feature that I have no way of controlling, it's a pretty poor feature. The very least that Spotify can do is give users an option of turning off Connect.

Same by me;

Every developer says its app are using little battery but most of the time thats not true

THis is very important indeed, spotify team needs to fix this asap. No question about it... it's a nice feature for those who want it, but being able to turn it OFF is absolutely essential 

Please, Spotify - we need to be able to turn Connect off. I hate how Spotify just pops up on my phone automatically when I'm listening on my PC and completely disrupts whatever I had been listening to on my phone! If I was halfway through an album that I planned to finish listening to I just lose my place. I can see the utility of Connect as aa kind of remote control but it doesn't work for me and I wish I could turn it off. Thanks.

My Mobile is tethered and the obligatory Spotify Connect feature is causing the songs to freeze on the desktop. I don't want to use my internet connected tethered phone to control my desktop. Allow the option to disable this feature which  has caused lags and breaks in service ever since it was activated.

The same idea i have.

How is the post above considered a solution??

A very good question!

Don't ask me, I just innocently posted with that problem. Who marks it solution, forum users?. Maybe the fact I mentioned tethered caused a brainwave at HQ. Doubt it though.

Just closed the door to the office yesterday and clicked play on my iPhone headset when I instantly realised: OH GOD NO, I FORGOT TO SAVE MY BLOODY SPOTIFY QUEUE INTO A TEMPORARY PLAYLIST (which you have to do these days apparently) and two miliseconds later pressed the button again hoping that I was fast enough to beat the wonky Spotify Connect.

Went back into office to save my current work queue into a playlist for continued listening the day after. But no. I was not fast enough. The two miliseconds I heard of a song wiped my whole queue.

Darn you Connect. Darn you all to hell!

* apparently you can't write d-a-m-n on this community. It changed into darn by iteself.

Same problem here too. I had posted in other threads about my desktop app stopping a playlist or queue and pausing on a completely related song. 

After some research I found that if I check my desktop play queue it often times does not match the queue on the mobile app. Sure enough when the song ends on the desktop, it will switch and stay paused on the song that was next on the mobile queue.

If I could turn off Spotify connect my life wouldn't be so ruined right now.

Ok, I understand that Spotify is trying to limit a user to playing music on one device at a time. This prevents people from sharing a single account on multiple devices.

However, the way Connect is implemented is terrible. I don't want my current song synced across devices. I don't want the Spotify app to keep trying to start on my phone while I play music on my computer. I kill the Spotify app on my phone, I play music on my computer, and the Spotify app pops back up on the phone showing me the song I'm playing on the computer. I know, I'm playing it. The phone app can shut up.

Also, I may be on different playlists on my devices. I listen to different things while I work, while I drive, etc. I want my phone to remember the last playlist and the last song played on the phone, not switch to the song/playlist I'm playing on my computer. That's how it used to work, and this new Connect feature completely ruins that.

Spotify, please find a way to implement the one device restriction without having the devices sync each other's currently playing song.

For now, I'm considering finding an APK for an older version so I don't have to deal with this terrible Connect implementation.

Spotify app is a multi battery user... it uses the most battery % on my samsung galaxy s3.

Spotify can trell 10000 times that it is not so , bit i know what i see.

Suggested posts