Help - Android

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Gig Goer
Pongalong

Re: Where does Spotify save the offline playlist files?

* Bump* 

Hoping for a reply from licensed or another informed member.

Community Legend
licenced

Didn't reply before as I wasn't really sure.

Spotify does try and restore links when the content already exists, but in your case it sounds like it doesn't.

It will however manage the space available - when a link is broken (i.e. the content is on your phone but not in a playlist) Spotify will remove it ... but not always immediately. It could take a while.

It's a potential pain because, while it will try to make sure it has enough space for itself, it doesn't care about the space other apps might need. The only 'fix' then is to wipe the app data and start downloading again.
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence
Music Fan
Mishkin

on android mobile phones they are located in a folder called "com.spotify.mobile.android.ui"

Just spent half a day figuring this out. You can't find the spotify data files using androids built in features. You need to download a file manager app such as astro file manage; or mount your phone to your pc as a disk drive. 

Then, bring up the folder structure of your phone -either on the phone screen itself, using the file manager app; or on your pc using explorer.

My phone is an android (htc one s) - on this device the spotify music files (which are encrypted) are data files. The route to these files is:

/mnt >sdcard>android>data>com.spotify.mobile.android.ui

within this folder are various and subfolders called things like cache, users,storage, etc. It's hard to work out which files contain the actual music as everything is encrypted, but it doesn't matter.

delete the folder called com.spotify.mobile.android.ui. by doing this you will delete all the data files and free up storage space.

then open up the spotify app on your phone and delete the playlists, albums whatever, themselves, as they are now 'dead ends'

Music Fan
bigmick22

you realy are an idiot , you asking how to bypass spotify, on a spotify community board, spotify is a great program, but what your trying to do is a good idea in theory, dont worry i've tryed, but dont ask those questions in spotifies own backyard.

Music Fan
pcoka

If i decorrupt the files and use them as an regular mp4 file am i doing anything unlegal?
Yea this question is dumb but i actually pay money for.this service so?
Peter
Kudos: 11,988
Solutions: 3,285
I'm a Community Rock Star

[ Edited ]

pcoka wrote:
If i decorrupt the files and use them as an regular mp4 file am i doing anything unlegal?
Yea this question is dumb but i actually pay money for.this service so?

Yes, you are breaking the law as you don't own those tracks so that is a copyright infringement. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Yoda and Bug Whisperer

Spotify Last.FM Twitter Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Community Legend
licenced

Yup, you said it yourself really - you are paying for the service which allows you to listen to music through spotify so they can track your usage and compensate the correct parties ... you're not buying the music itself
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence
Music Lover
csslakai

I can't understand why are you being such a D. He did a pertinent question. As an user, I want and have the right to know, where the musics are being stored! I want to manage the files, so I can store them in the External SD Card. The files can't be invisible, the device is mine I need to be aware where they are.

Joe
I'm a Community Rock Star

Spotify stores music in a folder called com.spotify.mobile.android.ui which will either be in \Phone\Android\data or on the external SD card. If you move it, spotify will no longer be able to use it.

Spotify automatically uses the external SD card for the cache on first time installation as long as there is more free space there then in internal storage. If the cache is currently on internal storage, and you have an external SD card with more free space and want to use that you just need to:

1. Delete the cache from spotify options (at bottom of the sreen)
  2. Play or download some music
Joe
I don't work for Spotify, I'm just here for the beer music

Check out my collaborative audiobook playlist

Music Lover
csslakai

Thank you so much! That is the answer I wanted.

Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.