Help - Android

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Concert Regular
beric0
Accepted Solution

Where does Spotify save the offline playlist files?

I have a samsung galaxy S2 and recently started using spotify. I set up the offline sync to the directory /mnt/sdcard/external_sd/media/spotify. After syncing up a few playlists, I can indeed listen to them offline using Spotify.

However, I would like to find these song files if possible or at least have the media scanner on Android find them so I can use a different player to listen to these songs from the offline playlists. Inside the SD drive, I can find the spotify folder with directories /android/data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui/ and then /cache and /files. However exploring further, I cannot find any audio files.

Where are they hiding them? Thanks for your help on this difficult question.

Community Legend
Afront

Re: Where does Spotify save the offline playlist files?

Generally ou can only use Spotify to play offline music synced from Spotify.

The files are Ogg Vorbis format but encrtyped by Spotify, so no other media scanner will recognize them as music files. 

So even if I get a media player on my phone that can play ogg files, it still won't be able to detect the song files from spotify because theyre hidden? So there is basically no way to get these song files. This makes it kind of annoying because it means I have to switch between media players because spotify's local library usability is frankly **bleep**.

Is it possible to find the song files on my computer if I have those same playlists synced so they can be played offline on the computer? It'll be a hassle to transfer to my phone but at least ill have them.

Thanks, your the best lol.

Community Legend
licenced

No, they are protected with DRM - encrypted - so that you cannot play them with anything else. If they weren't then there would no need to pay every month - just download everything you wanted, copy the files off then unsubscribe ... you can understand why they do this (aside from the fact that the content providers wouldn't submit any of their content to Spotify if the files weren't protected in this way)
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence
Music Lover
calebamiles

[ Edited ]

Hello, 

I have an almost identical question. I have a Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0 and I would like to use my SD card to store my offline music, however, in the current version of Spotify available from the Google Play Store, I see no "more" tab so that "more->settings" is nonsensical. Also pressing, also holding, the menu key on the device at the login screen has no effect. Finally I see no option now to clear offline files. Perhaps the tutorial snippet is in need of an update? Thanks for your help solving this issue. 

Community Legend
licenced

Hi calebmiles. Thats not really the same question.

Check this thread for the SD card question: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/New-Android-app-preview-save-to-external-SD-card/td-p...

And this one for clearing the cache: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/quot-Official-quot-new-application-release-missing-fe...

In summary, neither feature exists any more, so yes the tutorial needs updating if they are still mentioned
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence
Music Lover
calebamiles

Thanks for the amazingly quick response, kudos to whoever is on support watch this week :smileyvery-happy: Yes, the old doccumetaion needs to be refreshed. 

Gig Goer
Pongalong

I have a partially related question; I install custom ROMS pretty often and each time I lose my downloaded playlists. So I have a few questions:

1. How can I backup the playlists? Titanium Backup doesn't seem to work, although I had one instance where I did not have to re-download my playlist.
  2. If I can't backup the playlist, it seems like the downloaded songs are still taking up space on the phone/card. Do I need to "undownload" all my playlists before I install a new ROM to make sure I don't lose that space?
Festival Fanatic
agoodpub

AFAIK The playlists are "backed up" (saved) on your account.  The data (the actual music files) are stored on your device (if you've downloaded them of course!) What you are seeing is that the link between your playlists and the actual files is lost.  That happens regularly to me (and I'm not flashing differerent ROMs) - its a bug.  In may case, when i "download" the playlist again, it re-establishes the link - without actually downloading the actual music files again.

Gig Goer
Pongalong

That doesn't seem to be the case for me. Redownloading the playlist ends up eating up more and more space and takes quite a while rather than restoring the links.

Announcements

Beta test Spotify for iOS
Hi there.
Would you like a chance to beta test upcoming versions of Spotify for iOS? If the answer is a resounding "yes!" then please click here to read more.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.