Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can I print out my Spotify playlists?

Solved!

Can I print out my Spotify playlists?

A question from a technically challenged person. I set up a number of spotify playlists for my wife's birthday. I want to be able to print the playlists so that I can give her the lists of songs. I can't figure out how to do that. Ctrl/P does not seem to work. Clicking on File does not seem to do it. The Help section does not help.

It seems that this should be easy to do, but my technical limitations are preventing me from finding a way to print the playlists. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

To copy playlist to this message box in community, select playlist tracks and copy & paste then here. You will see text like this. Do not worry about links.

Rita Ora – R.I.P. featuring Tinie Tempah
Jennifer Rush – The Power Of Love - Edit
Chisu – Vapaa ja yksin
Keane – Somewhere Only We Know
CCC vs. Clubhunter – Sakura Girl - Commercial Club Crew Radio Edit

Now take a look to Notepad and copy all the links there plese and paste to Notepad please (you get only text), copypaste those to Word then and print. That's it - very easy to do.

If you prefer Word, LibreOffice or Docs.

Open Microsoft Word, LibreOffice or Google Docs. Don't use Notepad/Wordpad as these does not work.
Select all tracks in Spotify playlist.
Drag all selected tracks from Spotify to your Word\LibreOffice\Docs program.
Then you will see Artist - Title as a list... and that's it! Easy.

To remove the hyperlinks in MS Word, select all listings (CTRL+A). Then hold down CTRL+SHIFT & Press F9. Voila! In other programs see help or ask here. You can also copy and paste list to Notepad as work-around and then back as text to your program and you're now about one click to print. Enjoy!

!!! OR USE THIS TOOL !!!

http://spotlistr.herokuapp.com/#/export/spotify-playlist

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hi hpguru,

Thanks for the detailed response. have a Toshiba notebook running Windows Vista.  I'm using the desktop version of Spotify.  Whether I paste into Word or Notepad has no bearing...it pastes as filename-only links every time.  As I mentioned, I even tried "unformatted text" in Word under paste special...still filename links.  I never can get a list of titles and artists as they appear in my Spotify playlist.

However, I did locate this solution on another forum (spotify-forum.com) after doing a google search on exporting playlists as text. It worked for me, and this is the only thing that works for me:

After selecting the entire Spotify playlist, Instead of copying and pasting, DRAG the entire selected list from Spotify's playlist window over to the MS Word blank document.  It will appear as a plain list of titles and artists, all hyperlinked.  Then just select all in Word, and use Word's shortcut to remove hyperlinks (hold down CTRL+SHIFT & Press F9.)  What's left is a list of titles and artists.

Thanks again for the fast response after I posted. I do appreciate it!

--Nigel

Marked as solution

Hey, remember, not all software convert links to links name.

You need to use service, like this forum, that convert to you all links to link name. You do not need to publish those posts here in Community. I copy HTTP link in Spotify and now paste it here UK Maniax – I'm A Raver - Commercial Club Crew Radio Edit, so now we have links with link name. Now I can paste this link (copy-paste) to Notepad. And now after this I have "UK Maniax – I'm A Raver - Commercial Club Crew Radio Edit" - plain text. Now you are free to transfer all plain text to Word etc. and print.

Marked as solution

@AbsolutelyNoFB wrote:

This method still works, but is really only good for doing a few playlists as it would get a bit tedious if a person had many playlists.

To export a playlist as "just text", do the following:

1. Click on the playlist

2. Click on a song in the playlist

3. Type Ctrl-A to select all the songs in the playlist

4. Type Ctrl-C to copy all the songs to the clipboard

5. Paste into Microsoft Word using Ctrl-V.

6. Highlight everything you pasted in MS Word using Ctrl-A

7. Type Ctrl-Shift-F9 to remove all the hyperlinks.

8. You will have an all text playlist that is the the format of "artist - song name". Nothing fancy, but often good enough.

You may be able to use something other than Microsoft Word. Perhaps even GMail or GDocs.

This was the method I used; worked like a dream. Of course, then the Spotify developers come along with their, "If it ain't broke...break it" approach. Result is this method now only copies track URLs rather than artist and name. Brilliant, Spotify. Bloody brilliant.

Anyone got any ideas as to how to solve this problem (rather than firing them all and getting designers WHO ACTUALLY USE THE darn PROGRAM)?

Follow me

Marked as solution

The best solution that i've found is playlist-converter.net, that allows to export one of your public playlists as a plain text file.

The bad news is that it only exports 100 tracks, so you will have to split larger playlists.

Marked as solution

Marked as solution

Marked as solution

Marked as solution

Hi, I CLICKED  SPOTIFY THEN LOGIN  BUT CHOOSE A PLAY LIST
DID NOT OPEN ? IT WORKED ABOUT 14 DAYS AGO  ???
                             REGARDS.

183 Replies

If it works at all like it does on OS X, you should be able to select all the tracks in the playlist and copy a list of links to the tracks to a Word document. 

For each playlist that you want to print out, press Ctrl+A to select all the tracks, then right click on the selection. A context menu should come up and you should see two options in the list. "Copy HTTP Link" and "Copy Spotify URI". Either one should be fine. Then, open a Word document. Finally, simply paste (with Ctrl+V) the list in the document.

Hope this helps!

Thanks  for the  idea. I clicked on the playlist. Then I pressed Ctrl-A, and nothing happened. So I'm not sure what you  mean by "selecting" all the tracks. I thought maybe that meant to get the star on the left hand side of each selection in the  playlist. So, I clicked on the star for each track. Then I right-clicked on one of the tracks. That way, I was only able to Paste the one  track I had  right-clicked on.

I feel like I am just not understanding what you are suggesting I do. We older technically-challenged folks just don't have  the intuition to make this stuff work. It's  frustrating, but I think you got me  part way there. Thanks. Any further suggestions of clarifications?

After you click on a playlist on the left side, click on any of the tracks within that playlist in the middle column before you hit CTRL+A.  Then follow the rest of the instructions, and it ought to work for you.

Sorry that didn't quite work for you. Try this instead: In the playlist, click on first track. It should now be highlighted. Hold down the Shift key and scroll down to the last track in the playlist and click on it. Now all the tracks should be highlighted. Now, release the Shift key and right click on the selected area. Now, you should see the links I referred to in my previous post and should be able to copy them all.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, antillian and jvanderb. Both of those ways of copying worked easily . Your patience with my need for simple instructions helped a lot.

My wife will love this for her 69th birthday

mbjones130 (aka, Mike)

Hi!  I actually was easily able to select, copy and paste.  The problem is, I don't get a list of artists and titles...I get a list of Spotify's links to those songs that use their alphanumeric filenames.  So the list isn't actually readable.  The solution doesn't work for me.  Any ideas on how to print out my starred files with titles and artists appearing?

Note: Here is a typical line in my pasted document. This occurs whether I choose unformatted text as a paste option or not:

http://open.spotify.com/track/0bFgel5vKoTefbfbLqmn1u

Just a link. No title, no artist. This would seem to be an obvious thing someone might want to do, simply print a playlist or a list of starred music.

Marked as solution

To copy playlist to this message box in community, select playlist tracks and copy & paste then here. You will see text like this. Do not worry about links.

Rita Ora – R.I.P. featuring Tinie Tempah
Jennifer Rush – The Power Of Love - Edit
Chisu – Vapaa ja yksin
Keane – Somewhere Only We Know
CCC vs. Clubhunter – Sakura Girl - Commercial Club Crew Radio Edit

Now take a look to Notepad and copy all the links there plese and paste to Notepad please (you get only text), copypaste those to Word then and print. That's it - very easy to do.

If you prefer Word, LibreOffice or Docs.

Open Microsoft Word, LibreOffice or Google Docs. Don't use Notepad/Wordpad as these does not work.
Select all tracks in Spotify playlist.
Drag all selected tracks from Spotify to your Word\LibreOffice\Docs program.
Then you will see Artist - Title as a list... and that's it! Easy.

To remove the hyperlinks in MS Word, select all listings (CTRL+A). Then hold down CTRL+SHIFT & Press F9. Voila! In other programs see help or ask here. You can also copy and paste list to Notepad as work-around and then back as text to your program and you're now about one click to print. Enjoy!

!!! OR USE THIS TOOL !!!

http://spotlistr.herokuapp.com/#/export/spotify-playlist

Marked as solution

Hi hpguru,

Thanks for the detailed response. have a Toshiba notebook running Windows Vista.  I'm using the desktop version of Spotify.  Whether I paste into Word or Notepad has no bearing...it pastes as filename-only links every time.  As I mentioned, I even tried "unformatted text" in Word under paste special...still filename links.  I never can get a list of titles and artists as they appear in my Spotify playlist.

However, I did locate this solution on another forum (spotify-forum.com) after doing a google search on exporting playlists as text. It worked for me, and this is the only thing that works for me:

After selecting the entire Spotify playlist, Instead of copying and pasting, DRAG the entire selected list from Spotify's playlist window over to the MS Word blank document.  It will appear as a plain list of titles and artists, all hyperlinked.  Then just select all in Word, and use Word's shortcut to remove hyperlinks (hold down CTRL+SHIFT & Press F9.)  What's left is a list of titles and artists.

Thanks again for the fast response after I posted. I do appreciate it!

--Nigel

Marked as solution

Hey, remember, not all software convert links to links name.

You need to use service, like this forum, that convert to you all links to link name. You do not need to publish those posts here in Community. I copy HTTP link in Spotify and now paste it here UK Maniax – I'm A Raver - Commercial Club Crew Radio Edit, so now we have links with link name. Now I can paste this link (copy-paste) to Notepad. And now after this I have "UK Maniax – I'm A Raver - Commercial Club Crew Radio Edit" - plain text. Now you are free to transfer all plain text to Word etc. and print.

Don't know about you guys, but I always add album as new playlist. I appreciate radio but listening to a whole album has it's own charm.

So the playlists (not necessarily the tracks) is sort of a backlog / history I want to safe keep somewhere outside of Spotify. 

And it seems the reason we can't export delimited text, XML or similar is purely political. It's certainly nowhere to be found in the official clients. I've looked through the APIs (which seems to be improving), nothing stands out that would support such a feature. 

Attached at the bottom is the source code for a program that can parse and print the "playlist.bnk" file. I assumed the format is not publicly known (though not hard to guess). Can we have specifications please?

It needs to be improved upon, it doesn't quite catch all of my playlists.

For *nix "playlist.bnk" is located in ~/.config/spotify/Users/name/playlist.bnk

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Backup-playlists/idi-p/5413 says the location on windows is <USER_APP_DATA>/Spotify/Users/  

Place playlist.bnk in the same directory, compile and run.

Example: g++ -o spotify_playlist_decoder spotify_playlist_decoder.cpp ; ./spotify_playlist_decoder

#include <fstream>
#include <iostream>
#include <sstream>
#include <vector>

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
    std::vector<char> vbuf;
    unsigned int len;
    std::vector<char>::iterator bpos,dpos,epos;

std::ifstream in("playlist.bnk", std::ios::in|std::ios::binary);
    if (in) {
        in.seekg(0,std::ios::end);
        len = in.tellg();
        vbuf.resize(len);
        in.seekg(0,std::ios::beg);
        in.read(&vbuf[0],len);

for(std::vector<char>::iterator it = vbuf.begin(); it != vbuf.end(); ++it) {
            if (*it == (char)0x02 && *(it+1) == (char)0x09) {
                bpos = it+3;
            }                                                                                          
            if (*it == (char)0xE2 && *(it+1) == (char)0x80 && *(it+2) == (char)0x93 && bpos != vbuf.end()) {
                dpos = it;
            }                                                                                          
            if (*it == (char)0x18 && *(it+1) == (char)0x01 && *(it+2) == (char)0x19 && dpos != vbuf.end()) {
                epos = it;
            }                                                                   
            if (bpos != vbuf.end() && dpos != vbuf.end() && epos != vbuf.end()) {
                for(std::vector<char>::iterator it2 = bpos; it2 < dpos; ++it2) {
                    std::cout << *it2;
                }                                                              
                for(std::vector<char>::iterator it2 = dpos; it2 < epos; ++it2) {
                    std::cout << *it2;
                }
                std::cout << std::endl;
                bpos = vbuf.end();
                dpos = vbuf.end();
                epos = vbuf.end();
            }
        }
    }
}

Hi,

I developed, a new app last week to export some playlists on flat file (CSV); then you can read it by Excel for example.

You'll find more details here: export to text

So, it's in french but you just have to download the zip file, unzip it to your <My documents>/Spotify, run Spotify and execute this command: spotify:app:exportcsv

That's it.

Thanks geted ! that's really neat. Will try it out when I get home 🙂

The http link method does no longer work, atleast not as described 😞

This method still works, but is really only good for doing a few playlists as it would get a bit tedious if a person had many playlists.

To export a playlist as "just text", do the following:

1. Click on the playlist

2. Click on a song in the playlist

3. Type Ctrl-A to select all the songs in the playlist

4. Type Ctrl-C to copy all the songs to the clipboard

5. Paste into Microsoft Word using Ctrl-V.

6. Highlight everything you pasted in MS Word using Ctrl-A

7. Type Ctrl-Shift-F9 to remove all the hyperlinks.

8. You will have an all text playlist that is the the format of "artist - song name". Nothing fancy, but often good enough.

You may be able to use something other than Microsoft Word. Perhaps even GMail or GDocs.

Any way to also export the time and album columns?

There is no way to export other columns.

You could utilize libspotify to fetch all metadata.

You can iterate through a playlist, fetch the track info:

https://developer.spotify.com/technologies/libspotify/docs/12.1.45/group__types.html#ga47bbd2262f0c8...

They have a sample program to (almost) do this, so it shouldn't be too hard to do.

Pulled up the sampe: https://developer.spotify.com/technologies/libspotify/docs/12.1.45/jukebox_8c-example.html

Getting track metadata from handle: https://developer.spotify.com/technologies/libspotify/docs/12.1.45/group__track.html

hai

i've tried all those solutions but i still cannot copy a playlist from spotify to word so can anyone give me an answer that also does work in reality? thnx.

Suggested posts